GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Mostly Harmless

Good morning!  I have 8 miles on tap today.  I plan to take a long lunch and get that done.  We are expected to have sun and mild temps in the low 40's (yay!) but with strong winds to make it feel colder (boo!).

QOTD: What is your favorite distance to race?

I like the HM distance.  I can train for a HM without as much of a commitment as a FM but I still feel like I accomplished something when I'm done.

Mostly Harmless

RMT3B from yesterday....

Would you mind adding my races to the roll call?  I'm running the Green Bay marathon on 5/20, the Lakefront marathon on 10/6 and Route 66 marathon on 11/24.  Thanks!

Done.

Just B.S.

Morning Dailies. Not sure if a run will happen today. Not going to be outdoors at any rate

since the "feels like" is -16F.

Just a quick recap from yesterday. Swam morning 1 hour. Ran in the afternoon 5 miles.

Went to coached with in the evening with hubby for an hour. It was my best swim yet!!.

Made a big decision on our next trip. Short verion-  - Fall Marathon - Hubby's 50th Bday -

10 days in Europe with a gaggle of friends.Big grin

Gotta run because we are going out of town for the day!

SIAR, you are a very good son, just saying!

Jack, one year ago this weekend hubby and I ran the Bermuda Marathon Challenge for my 50th b/day

Friday 1 mile, Sat 10k, Sunday Full Marathon. We were there with 25 friends/runner from home. Many

of the same group will be on our trip across the pond!

Hope everyone has a great day!

fake it till you make it

Good morning.  5 recovery miles down the hatch for the day.

QOTD: I'm not sure honestly.  I think I like the training for a goal way more than I like the racing at any distance. And I still feel relatively new to racing.  Guess I'm still trying to figure out which race distance I like best, but I have a love for the marathon training for sure.

Working night shifts this weekend, tricky to figure out how to get my long run in.  More importantly, need to figure out how to fit in a good nap today so I can stay awake all night. I'm getting too old for this!

Today was 2wu+8PR+2cd, with the progression part being one mile at MP+50, MP+40, MP+30, MP+20, MP+10, MP, 1/2MP, 10k.  Cold for us at 32F at 0415 this morning but at least we are supposed to see sun later today.

Re QOTD, I pretty much like all distances from 5k to marathons with the exception of the 10k.  I find them totally brutal.  I run a 5k at barfing pace, and a 10k is just a 5k that never ends.

fake it till you make it

I run a 5k at barfing pace, and a 10k is just a 5k that never ends.

HA!  Best & most accurate description of 5 & 10Ks !

Bad Ass

Morning!  4.65 recovery miles early today with a fellow forumite MarjorieAnn.  Very nice FE last night and today.  It was cold (56F, LOL) but unfortunately, it won't last long.

Scott, sounds like great weather to run.

Beth, that sounds cold!

JenRosie, nice recovery run.

RVD, sounds like a nice workout.  How's Hanson going for you?

Swift, good luck this weekend!

QOTD, doh.  Marathons are my favorite distance to run.  I did half marathons every weekend in December and realized the distance is too short, LOL.

ADD ON to the calendar - I might not be able to run Napa Valley in March because my husband has not started working at the new place and taking time off might be tricky, but please add the Palm 100 50K on 03/23, thanks!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

RVD, sounds like a nice workout.  How's Hanson going for you?

DR: I really like the Hansons' plan.  I feel that I'm getting considerably faster and gaining much more endurance at those faster paces.  This wasn't one of the plans in the book, but one I purchased and it has much more detail.

Mostly Harmless

ADD ON to the calendar - I might not be able to run Napa Valley in March because my husband has not started working at the new place and taking time off might be tricky, but please add the Palm 100 50K on 03/23, thanks!

Done

jackdyl11

Staying home today with a sick wife and kids.  On the plus side, I'll get to do a real run at lunch.  I'm going to figure out the miles later.

Scott - Yes, supposed to be nice today! Just in time for the weekend.

Just BS - That's a lot of swmming! And three workouts for the day, nice.  That's a great way to celebrate a birthday.  Which race are you planning on doing?

Jen - Good luck getting some sleep in.

RVD - That sounds like a tough run, I don't think I could do it.  You do a lot of quality work - Every day you seem to be doing a workout that I wouldn't even attempt! Impressive you keep the miles up at the same time.

Docket - Good job with the recovery miles.

QOTD - My favorite distance is the mile.  That's painful from the first 100m, but if you hit your splits right it is really satisfying.  I love flying down the last curve, moving out to lane 2 and getting up on my toes.  I love that even at my level you can have tactics.  There have only been a few longer races that I've been in where I was consciously running to beat another person rather than just to run a time trial.  I'm definitely oriented to the short end of the specttrum.  Not sure why I'm posting on a marathon forum!

runmomto3boys

QOTD: I've only run one race and it was a marathon and that's all I intend on racing for now. 

Scott: Thanks for adding in my races!  I appreciate it!!!!

Beth: Fall?  Europe?  Marathon?  You are speaking my language!  I can't wait to hear all the details!!  I'm so excited for you.  Man, it's cold by you today, though.  Good luck on your TM run!

SIAR: Thanks for the info on the time goal stuff.  I only picked 3:25 b/c I have MP running to do for now.  I'll definitely (and happily!) adjust downward if my fitness suggests a faster finish time as the race approaches.

Julia: Ohhh, GREAT!  I'm gong to check out your running around that time to see if I am anywhere near in the shape you were at that point.  that will give me a good gauge as to whether I am off base or not.  I appreciate the info!  Thanks!

Not too Swift: I'm so glad the knee held up and that you got your run in. Enjoy your off day.

Docket: That's so fun that you met up w/Marjorie.  I saw the FB shot!  Adorbs!

RV: What a great progression run!  Nice job nailing those paces!!!

Because of the weekend weather forecast (cold on Sunday), I'm changing around my schedule a bit, so 9 tonight, 20 tomorrow, 13 Sunday.

RV: What a great progression run!  Nice job nailing those paces!!!

In a progression run you are going a bit faster each interval.  In this specific case I started at MP + 50 and kept speeding up the pace by 10 seconds per mile until I got to MP.  The scheduled then called for the next interval to be at 1/2 MP and the next one to be at 10k pace.  Each interval was one mile.

Julia1971

Completed a 6 mile recovery run with 10x20 second strides thrown in there, too. I made a point of slowing down the pace since I have a GMP run scheduled tomorrow. I'm feeling a bit tired. I really need to get some quality sleep tonight.

QOTD: I'm torn between 10 milers and half marathons. But, basically, that 10-13 mile distance. It's a good mix of endurance and speed. Plus, I usually don't feel completely destroyed like I do for the other distances.

Scott, Have fun with the 8. And, yeah, it's kinda windy out.

D_R, Yeah, that question was too easy for you.

RVD, cold but sunny really makes a difference, I think. I feel like it adds a few degrees to the "feels like".

Just B.S., A european vacation sounds dreamy.

JenRosie, I think there's someone on RA that does shift work and maybe posted a while back asking for ideas about how to juggle the workouts. You may want to search the forums to see if there's an old question.

Run the mile you are in.

RVD, cold but sunny really makes a difference, I think. I feel like it adds a few degrees to the "feels like". the workouts.

Well, this morning was dark at 0415, but I should get the benefit of sunlight for tomorrow's 10 and Sunday's 16.  Yea weekends!