Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 2/15/13 (Read 13 times)

Just B.S.

No worries.  It gave me an excuse to go back and read my race report.  Man, what a tough day.  I still think I deserve a lifetime BQ for that effort.  Smile ...  I didn't notice you weren't in the calendar.  Any events planned, though?

I think so too!LOL

Yup, lots. We usually fit in 15+ in our 6 month racing season.  Plus we volunteer at a few each season for

friends who are RD"s.        Which is why I don't ever put them on the calendars. Too many, I think it's a

pain in the butt for people to look at!LOL.  

So far we are doing: two fulls, 3 or 4 half's, 3 triathlons, two 10k, two 5k,  8k,  a trail race,  and several

others.

First up for me is Disney Princess 1/2 on Feb 24th. Not really a race though, just for fun. 

PressingOn

Oh my gosh, I'd like to strangle my ds right now.  He is being the biggest little pill because dd is at her youth retreat and he "is having the most boring time stuck in this boring house and there's nothing fun to do and life is not fair and why does she get to have all the fun while he always has to be home bored, etc, etc, etc."  Ugh.  Meanwhile, it's gorgeous outside today and I'm supposed to run but he's home so I am stuck on the tm.  I suggested he could take his bike to the trail and ride while I run but I was met with absolute disagreement.  Can I send him to school even though it's a day off and no one is there?  Lol!  Angry

I still feel a cold coming on.  I'm hoping it is simply madness and paranoia but am doubtful considering ds was down and out and I had some phlegm this a.m.  As long as I don't develop a fever I will still be good to go.  I'm taking this race ultra slow and easy anyway since I have a more difficult trail marathon in 2 weeks.  This race I will be having fun and taking photo's of the buffalo I hear like to race alongside of runner's at one point.  Not sure if I should be  concerned about that? Confused As I said, today is gorgeous outside.  Sunny skies and moderate temps.  I was so hoping for that for tomorrow's race so I could see the mountain views but this is weather for tomorrow via weather.com,  "A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. High 47F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch."  Oh joy.  Rain eases around noon.  Yes, right when I'll be done with my race.  At least I won't overheat.  Hey Scott, there's a bright side moment.  

Julia - Maybe this time you won't have that breakdown point? Great photo. I didn't manage to eat all of my cupcake last night either. It was huge and lemon filled and delicious but way, way, way too rich and sweet.

Scott - Good idea to get the lr done today when the weather is good. Scary stuff on your accident. I too am hoping the illness suspicion is only paranoia. As for seeing the bright side of stuff, yeah, I tend to at least try and do that. It makes life happier. Now, had I gotten a ticket out of the ordeal I'm not so sure I'd be seeing a bright side. ha.

Swift - Sounds like a nice recovery run. So sweet about the flowers and candy, however, for the life of me, I can't figure out BoMF.

Beth - I am sorry you had to deal with all of that in a short time span. Life is short and there are no guarantee's so yep, enjoy and be grateful for what we have. Smile Great photo's from Boston!  Good job on your run and swim yesterday.

RVD - I seem to recall you mentioning the Polycose before. Thanks for the link. Glad the chiro didn't find any reasons for restricting your running.

Damaris - Hope Sammy's eye is better soon. So sad about the doggy. Glad the paces yesterday were promising. Goal for your race this weekend? What is this race in your push for 2 star's?

Marco - Oh yes, don't injure yourself before Boston!!

JenRosie - I am sure painting can count as something. I bet you could even find a site somewhere that would estimate a calorie burn for you on painting. Wink Have you already found a new home or is the search still in process?

SIAR - I think you're wise not to push it if you don't feel you need to. Great job on those hill repeats.  Your mileage always astounds me.

Bad Ass

He is!  But when I met him, he also surprised me by being very short.

Jen, Marco and Julia going to Boston!!! so exciting!!  These are for you.........to get you pumped up

not scared!LOL

Photography is one of my many other hobbies. I had a blast in 2010 when hubby ran and I was the

Team Photographer!! If you weren't nervous or excited  before this might get you there!LOL

That's the elites waiting for the start. That is how close I was to the start line. That Ryan Hall is skinny!

Our NB Boston 2010 runner crew at finish line the day before. See the lady in the black jacket with the bag

across her shoulders in the back row? This was only her 2nd marathon.  She was 14th women Overall in

at Boston 2012 last year and  finished  in 2:48. She is the one who only started marathons at age 40. That fall

she ran the Detroit Free Press Marathon and was the Female Winner..

My hubby is to her right with the red hat. He didn't run his first full until age 45 and PB is 3:23. Next to him is our

buddy James. He was 115th at the Miami ING Marathon a few weeks ago, slow one for him at 3:17.  Joe in on

the end crouching in front of James. He was 4th in his AG that year, missing by only 10 seconds with a 3:24.

For some reason we have a lot of fast older runners here. Too bad I'm not one of them!LOL

You might need to visit these before the race starts. 

Tired but happy.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

goal is to finish, although the weather will be in the 30-40F so who knows.  I think this is the one that should give me 2 stars.  I think....

Oh my gosh, I'd like to strangle my ds right now.  He is being the biggest little pill because dd is at her youth retreat and he "is having the most boring time stuck in this boring house and there's nothing fun to do and life is not fair and why does she get to have all the fun while he always has to be home bored, etc, etc, etc."  Ugh.  Meanwhile, it's gorgeous outside today and I'm supposed to run but he's home so I am stuck on the tm.  I suggested he could take his bike to the trail and ride while I run but I was met with absolute disagreement.  Can I send him to school even though it's a day off and no one is there?  Lol!  Angry

I still feel a cold coming on.  I'm hoping it is simply madness and paranoia but am doubtful considering ds was down and out and I had some phlegm this a.m.  As long as I don't develop a fever I will still be good to go.  I'm taking this race ultra slow and easy anyway since I have a more difficult trail marathon in 2 weeks.  This race I will be having fun and taking photo's of the buffalo I hear like to race alongside of runner's at one point.  Not sure if I should be  concerned about that? Confused As I said, today is gorgeous outside.  Sunny skies and moderate temps.  I was so hoping for that for tomorrow's race so I could see the mountain views but this is weather for tomorrow via weather.com,  "A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. High 47F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch."  Oh joy.  Rain eases around noon.  Yes, right when I'll be done with my race.  At least I won't overheat.  Hey Scott, there's a bright side moment.  

Julia - Maybe this time you won't have that breakdown point? Great photo. I didn't manage to eat all of my cupcake last night either. It was huge and lemon filled and delicious but way, way, way too rich and sweet.

Scott - Good idea to get the lr done today when the weather is good. Scary stuff on your accident. I too am hoping the illness suspicion is only paranoia. As for seeing the bright side of stuff, yeah, I tend to at least try and do that. It makes life happier. Now, had I gotten a ticket out of the ordeal I'm not so sure I'd be seeing a bright side. ha.

Swift - Sounds like a nice recovery run. So sweet about the flowers and candy, however, for the life of me, I can't figure out BoMF.

Beth - I am sorry you had to deal with all of that in a short time span. Life is short and there are no guarantee's so yep, enjoy and be grateful for what we have. Smile Great photo's from Boston!  Good job on your run and swim yesterday.

RVD - I seem to recall you mentioning the Polycose before. Thanks for the link. Glad the chiro didn't find any reasons for restricting your running.

Damaris - Hope Sammy's eye is better soon. So sad about the doggy. Glad the paces yesterday were promising. Goal for your race this weekend? What is this race in your push for 2 star's?

Marco - Oh yes, don't injure yourself before Boston!!

JenRosie - I am sure painting can count as something. I bet you could even find a site somewhere that would estimate a calorie burn for you on painting. Wink Have you already found a new home or is the search still in process?

SIAR - I think you're wise not to push it if you don't feel you need to. Great job on those hill repeats.  Your mileage always astounds me.

Blog

Just B.S.

He is!  But when I met him, he also surprised me by being very short.

Hmmm, I guess 5'10 might be short to some people but I"m only 5"4 so it seems

pretty tall to me!

Just B.S.

Nope, no colds allowed!LOL

Stuff can be hard when going thru it but it gives you more gratitude and perspective in the long haul.

Besides if anyone gets to 50 without a lot of heartbreak in their life then I would say they are very lucky indeed!

I still feel a cold coming on.  

Finally PRed!!!

Pressing: BoMF = Back on My Feet, that is the nonprofit organization that has the running program at the shelters. I run with them usually one weekday per week, and then usually also on Saturdays (last few months some of them have been doing the marathon/half training program, which is how I ended up doing it). We are having a relay race tomorrow, which should be fun. I just abbreviate 'cause it's easier to type. Have a great race tomorrow!! The cold can stay away until after your race.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

CompetitiveChik

CC - It's great that you are already back out running! I was almost killed in a car accident in 1989. I got a helicopter ride to shock trauma and all.  Like you, it was a close call and I recovered pretty quickly but it served as great reminder to me about how limited our time is.  In a way, I am almost grateful that I experienced what I did because of that reminder.  Maybe you feel a little bit like that too?

Most definately. helped me to see that I need to enjoy life a little more and take some things a little less seriously.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

CompetitiveChik

Hey all, I was suppose to go out for an hour jog but decided to play it safe and take the day off. coach doesn't know yet. she's here right now so I'm kinda avoiding her so I don't have to tell her. lol. I don't think she'll be mad but I just don't want to have to tell her. anyways, I was suppose to bike tomorrow and run on sunday but I'm gonna run tomorrow, instead, and on sunday we're comin in early so I can test ride some bikes to go ahead and order what I want.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Mostly Harmless

Hey all. Just got back from running my 18.  That was the most interesting 18 miler ever!  The plan was to try to do the last 12 at MP.  This was a challenge for me because it was the first time I've ever run more than 14 miles in a hilly area.  Most of my MP runs are on the pancake flat towpath.

I ran the first six nice and slow, no problems. At mile 5.5 I ate an energy gel. A flavor I've had before many times with not issues.  I got to mile 6 and picked up the pace. My first MP mile goes by and right on target, same for the second. The third one I'm 20 second fast, need to dial it back. Fourth one I'm 13 seconds fast, which is better but I still need to slow down but decide I'm just going to go with it. After that it is 8:35, 8:31, 8:43, 8:37, 8:50 then out of nowhere...

I had a very close call with some GI issues.

I removed the rest. It was dumb to post it in the first place.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

I an 5'5" and he was a tiny bit taller than me.  When he came to speak at the ING Miami last year, I was like where is he when he first started to talk because everybody in front of me was taller and blocking him, haha.

Hmmm, I guess 5'10 might be short to some people but I"m only 5"4 so it seems

pretty tall to me!

Blog

Just B.S.

I an 5'5" and he was a tiny bit taller than me.  When he came to speak at the ING Miami last year, I was like where is he when he first started to talk because everybody in front of me was taller and blocking him, haha.

You must have been wearing heels.

Meb is 5'7 and Ryan is 5"10 and obviously much taller than Meb as per this photo.

I was standing beside Ryan at one point at the start line and he was much taller than me.

Bad Ass

Well, none of them are really tall....

Haha.  he looked tiny when I met him.  That doe snot mean he is.  Although my husband is above 6 feet.  Maybe 5'10" feels tiny to me.

Blog

PressingOn

Ugh.  I can't decide what to wear tomorrow.  I've been back and forth and back and forth for two days now.  Is this taper madness in its final phases?  I also cannot decide if I want to take a handheld or my hydration belt.  We need to take our own bottle and I'm not sure which will be more annoying to me after mile 15 or so.  They each have pluses and minuses.  I need to figure it out so I can go to bed.  Roll eyes

Swift - Oh yes! I recall you mentioning that now. Sounds like a great group to be a part of.

CC - Did you tell your coach yet?

Scott - Sorry about the embarrassing issues.

My dh is 5'10" and while taller than me (I'm 5'4") I never thought of him as tall but rather average in height.

Damaris - Good luck on Sunday in case I don't get back on the computer before you get to the start line!

Julia1971

Ugh.  I can't decide what to wear tomorrow.  I've been back and forth and back and forth for two days now.  Is this taper madness in its final phases?  I also cannot decide if I want to take a handheld or my hydration belt.  We need to take our own bottle and I'm not sure which will be more annoying to me after mile 15 or so.  They each have pluses and minuses.  I need to figure it out so I can go to bed.  Roll eyes

Yes, I can definitely see the pluses and minuses to both.  Will there be any water on the course?  If not, which holds more?  If you trained with and are comfortable with both, I think you'll be fine either way...  Have a good night!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb