Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/21/12 - Running through End of the World (Read 201 times)

PressingOn

Hey all.  Supposed to swim today but not sure I'll make it to the gym.  Having the kids home on break makes things much more difficult.  The club is 30 minutes away, too far to leave them alone, especially if I'm swimming and without my phone, and taking them with me involves paying for them to be in the Kids Club room.  I'm not even sure dd would be allowed in Kids Club.  She may be too old.  Anyway, we'll see.  I've got a ton to do before tomorrow when family arrives so I may just take an USRD and use my energy for cleaning and errands.  I can still fit in my core/balance/strength work though.  In fact, I should because I've been really bad about skipping those workouts this week.  Shame on me.

Scott - Wind can for sure make it feel colder. You could always be stupid like me and attempt the lr on the tm. Ugh. Glad that's over.

Damaris - Taking it easy for awhile is fine.

Julia - Great news about NYCM. It's nice to have options. My day gets to be filled with many of the same fun activities as yours ... cleaning and shopping. No lr though!

Beth - I'm impressed you got 7 done in all that. Smile Good job to your son. That's pretty cool being quoted in the race calendar.

Swift - Have a good rest today and finish healing up.

Markrice - We'll see you on FB! That's quite the chart you've got going there. I would never have the patience to figure that all out.

RVD - That's dedication to track workouts. Smile Good of you to be considerate of the staff and students though.

Marco - Be careful! Way to go getting above your 7 in those conditions.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey everyone. 6 miles done in some blustery, pelty snow. I skipped out on my hill sprints because tomorrow's run will likely be pretty tough: 6 miles with the 2:50 marathoner running store owner, then another 8 easy with the group. I hope all the holiday prep is going well for you guys..it sure does take a lot of time!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Beth: no, I wasn't at the Maine Marathon, but that's really cool that your email got quoted with your name and everything.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Markrice - We'll see you on FB! That's quite the chart you've got going there. I would never have the patience to figure that all out.

To what chart are you referring?  Is that the web page or something on FB?

Thanks though. :-)

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html

PressingOn

To what chart are you referring?  Is that the web page or something on FB?

Thanks though. :-)

Sorry to confuse.  I was referring to your tracking of the weather and how it feels temp wise.  Smile

Julia1971

Taking a break from entertaining.

Ran a 16 mile long run in blustery weather.  Ran a blistering 8:37 pace which is surprising considering there were points when I felt I was running but the wind was blowing me back.  My sister arrived just as I was arriving back home, so I didn't have time to finish cleaning!  Oh well.  She knows I'm a slob.  Who am I trying to kid? 

Scott, I hope the wind was milder your way.  It's really whipping around right now. 

Docket_Rocket, happy running tonight.

Just B.S., smart kids you got there!  Hope some of that snow and slush melts soon.  I have a feeling that's wishful thinking.

Swift, sorry to hear you still have sore spots.  Hope they heal up soon.

Mark, Did you think the sun helped?  I kept alternating between feeling like I'd overdressed and feeling like the cold wind was cutting through everything.  Not fun...  I'm hoping to go shopping tomorrow.  In addition to my nieces, I also have a teen-aged nephew to shop for but my sister assures me he only wants money.  So, I'm giving him an Amazon gift card.

RVD, it was a good day for the treadmill with all this wind.

Marco, yikes!  Glad you managed to stay on your feet and slowed things down.  Is there better weather in the forecast?

Pressing, I was telling myself during my run today that I might have to skip tomorrow.  As much as I want to fit my runs in, it's rare that I get to spend time with family.

SIAR, that's a fast group you're running with tomorrow!  Are you trying to go sub-3:00 in your next race?

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

rain tonight but warm so it should at least rinse the streets and sidewalk....maybe melt some of the snow in the yard.  However, afterwards are highs are supposed to be in the 20s so it should form a nice hard crust on what's in the yard.

thinkin about glory days

I've been letting myself go this week because I thought the world was going to end, but when I woke up this morning and realized we're still here, I figured I should go for a run.  5 miles total on the TM.  I hope everyone has been doing well.

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ok, gifts are wrapped...time for you all!

Scott...I think the wind is worse than any other running condition that mother nature throws at us.  Good job getting out there and getting some work in though.

Docket...Any reason why you weren't feeling the miles?  Hopefully pushing to make mileage towards the end of the year hasn't stressed your running out too much.

Julia...Nice job with the cleaning.  I'm all about the marathon cleaning sessions too.  That is really awesome about the options NYCM gave.  Potentially having a qualifying time is great too.  I think I mentioned it before, but that's my ultimate running goal (although it feels wildly out of reach).  Great job getting your 16 miles in with these conditions.  As for my next race, yes, sub-3 is my goal.  So long as I can stay healthy, I really think I'll have the fitness for it.

Beth...Holiday dental season in your neck of the woods huh?  That's really neat that your quote was used, and very nice of you to share your positive feedback with the race director.

NotSwift...Sorry about that fall the other day!  I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse.  Do you think you'll try that workout again?  Enjoy that rest.

Mark...Good work on the 11.  It looks like we all dealt with the wind today.

RVD...wow, your morning dedication is impressive.  Sometimes those TM runs just have to happen.

Marco...Glad you avoided a fall.  Great news about your mileage goals.

Pressing...Impressive job on the TM run yesterday.  I'm sure you appreciated hearing your kids say that about your dedication too.  You sound just like me with the strength stuff - it's just so easy to skip.  I hope you had a great day!

Hill...Hey, good to see you survived the apocalypse.  Nice effort with the TM miles.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

SIAR, I'm not pushing any mileage goal or anything.  I'm 500 behind goal this year.  I just didn't feel like running this week.  And I didn't run today.  I better show up for my race tomorrow, LOL.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Bad Ass

Plus, I needed a break before embarking into 2013 and all I'm going to do.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Finally PRed!!!

DR: hope you have a great race tomorrow!

Julia: great job with your 16.

SIAR: sure, I think I'll probably do that workout  again sometime. I did feel it gave me a lot of time close to LT. Will probably do different workouts the next few weeks and maybe try that one again in January after I've raced again, to have updated paces. Hope your tough run tomorrow goes well. I'm going to try to run with two different running groups tomorrow morning, should be interesting...

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

CompetitiveChik

Hey all,  sorry I've been MIA today. set my alarm for the wrong time so I didn't get to run. Went on my 1st group ride this morning. 18 miles. Had coffee and lunch with my coworkers. Went Christmas shopping and now I'm sittin here watching national lampoons christmas.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

PressingOn

Taking a break from entertaining.

Ran a 16 mile long run in blustery weather.  Ran a blistering 8:37 pace which is surprising considering there were points when I felt I was running but the wind was blowing me back.  My sister arrived just as I was arriving back home, so I didn't have time to finish cleaning!  Oh well.  She knows I'm a slob.  Who am I trying to kid? 

I loved this.  I've been trying to clean house to get ready for family myself and it's not been going so well with all the other obligations pulling at me.  I too tend to "error on the messy side".  My mom always said, "I've got more important things to do than clean."  Smile

SIAR - I'm sure you'll get that sub 3.  You've been working hard for it.  And great job getting all your gifts wrapped.

Hill - Yep, no excuses now.  Keep running.  Good job on the tm 5.

Marco - ah, bummer about the hard crust.  We had torrential rain yesterday and freezing temps during the night.  There was a nice layer of ice on our driveway.  Good thing I didn't need to go anywhere too early.

CC - Sounds like a good and productive day.

I got my trips to the post office, pet store, grocery store and salon for my son's hair appt all done.  Have I done my strength training?  That's a no.  It's not going to happen either.  I'm off to make dinner now and finish cleaning.  That's a workout, right?

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Sorry to confuse.  I was referring to your tracking of the weather and how it feels temp wise.  Smile

PressingOn - AH... that's funny. Well, it wasn't so bad. I wrote the temps down, then as I ran, I just wrote down what felt right... before long, I had a workable chart that I adjusted as needed. I've used it for 4 years now, and almost every time I dress as well as one could.

Julia - Yes, wind does that to me A LOT!! I just cannot dress right when it's windy because of it's way of cutting through clothing. The best solution is EASILY adjusted layers, but that's hard to do. For example, I have only ONE fleece that has a full zipper... that's the best to use on an inconsistently windy day. Later, I'll be replacing half zip fleeces with full zip only. I WISH half zip were really half zip, but they are really 1/3 or 1/4 zip.. and that just doesn't give enough adjustment.  Amazon gift card does seem like a good one... they have such a wide selection.

SIAR - Yes, I heard tons of comments here and on RWOL about wind today.

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html