JenRosie - 3/24 Irish Run 8K

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run Marathon

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner - 4/14 Union Half Marathon (1:30 pacer)

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/16/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Mostly Harmless

Achilles pain came back after my 5 mile run yesterday. Skipping my scheduled 12 mile run today and trying not to panic. Oh yeah, I have a sore throat too. Two people in my house are fighting off colds. This kind of sucks.

fake it till you make it

Scott remember this close to race day there is really no fitness to be gained, so rest as much as you need to.  Hopefully everything shakes out by next weekend.

It's 33 degrees and raining here with sleet in the forecast, and I'm headed out the door soon for what I'm guessing will be a soggy miserable 18 mile run with the group.  Hoping that it isn't sheer ice out there, but I'm guessing it will be a mess.  Wish I had waterproof everything for running in.  I just can't take another day on the 'mill.

Mostly Harmless

Scott remember this close to race day there is really no fitness to be gained, so rest as much as you need to.  Hopefully everything shakes out by next weekend.

It's 33 degrees and raining here with sleet in the forecast, and I'm headed out the door soon for what I'm guessing will be a soggy miserable 18 mile run with the group.  Hoping that it isn't sheer ice out there, but I'm guessing it will be a mess.  Wish I had waterproof everything for running in.  I just can't take another day on the 'mill.

I know that in this situation, the only thing I can accomplish by running is to make my injury worse. It's easy to know but hard to practice.

Good luck with your 18 miler today.  At least you'll have company, right?

jojo61397

Aww Scott-- hope you feel better...

Jen-- yuck

Just did 3.5 mile hill workout off to work.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
            Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Julia1971

I have a 12-13 mile medium run on the schedule for today.  I'm going to wait for it to warm up a few more degrees so I can brave wearing a tank and shorts in race day-type weather.

I also sent an email to the race people about whether they're giving awards for master's winners.  The website only mentions AG awards.  Based on previous year's times, I would be competitive for the overall master's woman so I thought I should ask in case it's awarded by gun time and I should ask to move corrals.  I think the answer is, "no" but figured there's no harm in asking.

After my run today, I will hit 100 days for my current running streak.  Big grin  I won't be able to beat my previous one of 108 days because I have no intention of running the day after my race.  So, it will probably end at 107.

Scott, I'm with you, comrade in taper madness.  I've also been dealing with sinus congestion since last Tuesday.  I've been doing nasal saline rinses and taking my Zyrtec - not daily but regularly.  It doesn't seem to be working so I may have some kind of low grade cold.  If so, there's still plenty of time for it to go away...  +1 to what JenRosie says.  I like to think Daniels is right that it takes a 5 day layoff to lose any fitness.  Again, says the woman who's run every day since December.  LOL!

JenRosie, Ugh!  Good luck running in that weather.  Having other people sharing in the misery and encouraging you on might make it a little better.

JoJo, Nice work getting the run in early.  Have a good day at work.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

Bad Ass

Morning!  I slept in and I needed it.  Still feeling blah a bit and I had another nosebleed last night, but I feel much better today, so I'll attempt a run tonight.

Scott, hope the achilles feels better.

Jen, hope your 18 go well.

Jodi, nice run.

Julia, enjoy your run.  Nice job on the streak.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

14 more on the TM...which makes 40 over the past 3 days.  Found out I am 2.55 miles short of weekly mileage PR, so the white guy to the left and I may go for a jog later this afternoon.  I'll spend the day proofreading DW's new book before it goes to the publisher.  Tonight, it's movie night at friends' house (Casablanca) accompanied by too much food and beer.

Damaris--nosebleed?  What's the cause of that?

Scott--I wouldn't worry about missing a run.  Take care of yourself.

Jen--we have a lot of snow left but streets are clear.  Just couldn't face 20 mph winds with 32 degrees this morning.  Have fun with the group.

Jodi--hope work is easy for you

Julia--great to be in warm weather gear.  If I start running after work with the time change, I can probably ditch the tights.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hey guys.  I did 16 miles with the running group at 5:30 this morning.  Then, we met up with the store for a yoga session that lasted about 45 minutes.  It was the first time I'd tried yoga.  I can definitely see how it'd be beneficial, but I don't know that I have the time or money to spend on it.  After that I ran another faster 6 miles with the store owner.  My feet are now in ice, and I'm trying not to think about how much I hate icing!  Oh, I got a new pair of tights after the run too.  They're next years model, but since they didn't have my size the owner pulled them out and still gave me 40% off.  Sweet!

Scott...Sorry about the pain.  Just keep stretching and resting that puppy and you'll be fine.  Better to get sick now as opposed to next week, right?

Jen..Ugh, that sounds like terrible weather.  I shouldn't say it, but it's gorgeous here today.  At least it should be headed your way.  Hopefully having a group will make it a little more tolerable.

Jodi...Nice job on the hills...they build character and butt muscles!  Have a good day.

Julia...That is going to be brave running attire today!  I have to admit, I'm kinda bad about wearing new stuff in races.  You're smart to test it out first.  You're too young to be a masters runner, aren't you? Smile  I don't really know the policies in general, but it seems like bigger races usually do recognize masters (and clydesdales).  You're really rubbing that streak number in aren't you?  I'm teasing, that's an awesome accomplishment.  I'd actually think the opposite though, the day after a race I always run a little to shake it loose.  If I want to rest after that, then I do.  Aside from my first one anyways...after that I could barely waddle for a week.

Docket...Wow, nosebleeds are something I can't say I've ever had.  That doesn't sound fun though.  Glad you got some good sleep.  Have a good run later.

Marco...Great running...definitely go get that PR.  It took me forever to figure who the "white guy" was!  He looks like a great little running partner though.  Sounds like a nice day for you.  Enjoy.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

Scott: Hope the Achilles gets better soon, you're smart to rest. Hope you don't get a cold, just get plenty of rest, quarantine your family members and use lots of hand sanitizer.

Jen: Wow, that does sound like crappy weather, hope it wasn't too bad with the group and you had a decent 18.

jojo: Great job with the the hill workout.

Julia: Hope the medium run went well. Good idea to run in race clothing. I'm planning to run in my actual race outfit Wednesday--though I guess I have to decide which shorts I'm going to race in (they won't be new, though). I've run in tanks plenty already, but the top I'm going to wear in the race is pretty new, so I haven't tried it for a run yet, though I can't imagine there would be a problem--it's very comfy and soft. But I still plan to test it.

Docket: Glad you are feeling better, nosebleed sounds rough. Hope the run goes well.

marco: Nice 14 on the TM. Congrats to your DW on her new book! Have fun at movie night.

SIAR: Nice job getting some good miles in. I've never tried yoga and the Georgia Marathon is offering it free every day next week at different stores, but I don't think I'll go. They also had a free session after the pace team run last Saturday but I didn't go to that either. Guess I should try it sometime, probably be good for me, but I don't feel like I'd be too good at it. Hope your feet are okay.

I got in 2 on the way to meet the training group, then 8 with the group, last 2 at MP. Felt really weird to be finished so early. Legs are feeling pretty good.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia1971

Got my 13 miles in.  I wimped out on wearing a singlet w/arm warmers - it was just too cold with the wind.  But, I did wear a pair of shorts I was considering wearing for the race and now I know they wouldn't be a good choice - they rode up too much and caused some chaffing.  It was a bit fast but I don't feel any more tired than a normal medium run.

I'm having people over next week after the race so I'm going to do some housework and then hit some stores.

D_R, Good luck with the run tonight.  Is the air in your place dry?  About once a year or so, I'll wake up to a nose bleed and I think it's because there's no humidity in this place.

Marco, It sounds like you have a fun evening ahead.  Given all the work and running you've been doing, I think you should enjoy it.  Congrats to DW on having a book published.  Very cool.

SIAR, That's very nice of the store owner to hook you up with the tights.  Hmm, maybe I should be nicer to the folks at my LRS.  So, you did 22 miles today and yoga.  That pretty hard core streak or no streak...  This is the first time I haven't done a complete dress rehearsal.  Usually, for my last long run, I try to go through the entire routine including race day clothes.  It's just been too cold to do that...  No one ever believes I'm a I'm a master's runner.  I look (and act) like I'm about 28.

Swift, Based on my experience today, I would definitely try the shorts.  I've always run in compression shorts or Nike tempo shorts but wanted to try a pair I had because it had a back pocket.  That way, I wouldn't need the Spibelt.  But, they didn't work.  I have a pair of compression-type shorts that has a pocket.  I think they will work.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. – Chinese Proverb

fake it till you make it

I know that in this situation, the only thing I can accomplish by running is to make my injury worse. It's easy to know but hard to practice.

Yep, I get that.  I’m way better at giving smart/safe running advice than I am at following it!

Jodi- hill workout before work? Very productive Saturday!

Julia  A 100 day streak, in the running for a master’s award, AND running in a tank and shorts? We are in the presence of greatness here people! J

DR  sleeping in sounds devine!   Hope the run later goes well.

Marco your running partner is adorable.  What genre does your wife write?

SIAR nice score on the new tights!!  I should be looking at winter clearance stuff now but I get so excited for better weather that right about now is when I blow $ on new summer stuff.   Sounds like you got in some awesome mileage today.

Swift  I am in awe of all your MP running, you seem to really do well at those workouts!

My rainy 18 turned into 20 today, thanks in part to the rain tapering off after the first 5.  It was still a little windy/cold and my feet were squishy wet after the first quarter mile, but I actually felt pretty good!  Starting to feel like maybe I am getting a little stronger this training cycle.  Not every workout, but I’m learning that that’s ok too.

I would like nothing more than to take a nice nap, but instead I’m working on some last minute stuff before our house goes on the market next week and then off to work for a bit to help out in our crazy busy ICU.

Have a great Saturday!

RVD, That's interesting re caffeine. I'd be curious to find out if you think it worked.

Well, had a LARGE cup of instant coffee, with 2 heaping spoonfuls of coffee right after I got up.  Since I had to feed pets etc, it gave me enough time at home to "get things moving" so to speak before I left.  I also took a smaller cup of coffee in a container that will fit in the cup holder in my car to drink after I got to the venue.  I always get to races early so that I can get a good parking spot.  So, if the race begins at 8:00 and registration/bib pickup is at 6:00 I will be there at 6:00. So, when I got there I was kind of bouncing off the walls.  A half hour before the start I went for a mile run with some strides thrown in to get my heart rate up.  Went for another quarter mile run a bit closer to race time just to stay warm.

Anyway, the result:

Drumroll please.....

A lifetime PR.  Not fast by your standards, but 50:10.

11 seconds.....   11 damned seconds.....   My kingdom for 11 seconds......

(Well, it is a small kingdom.)

My 10k PR pace is now faster than my 5k PR pace. I guess for training purposes I'll just subtract 15 seconds or so from the 10k PR pace to act as my new 5k pace.  So, I was bad and ordered pizza.  I'll be good again starting sometime tomorrow until after the Shamrock.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

RVD...you do love yourself a pizza, but you earned it! Congrats on that PR. All your hard training paid off, and I'm very glad to read nothing about your hamstring! Darn 11 seconds though!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

jojo61397

Georgia Marathon/Half Marathon peeps...

http://xacte.com/msg/signup.php?eid=53

Here's the race tracking link...

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                                Sub- 1:45 hour half.