A Mile A Day

Weekly check in, week of 4/12/09 (Read 226 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

How's it going for everyone? I thought I'd start a day early because, well, it's Easter morning and I just ran. As usual. I typically run after work or in the morning before I go to sleep for the day. Smile This week I discovered that when I forefoot strike and splay my toes out, my neuroma doesn't hurt to run on. At all! Shocked I've been a heel-striker since I started running, but this lack-of-pain thing is VERY convincing! I'm doing calf strengthening and stretching, trying to ward off any achilles problems (as came up the last time I tried to change gaits) and so far so good. I've got a user program set on my treadmill at home. I set it this week, and this morning I noticed it felt very comfortable. I'm tempted to up the miles a bit since it's become comfortable, but I think I'll keep it as is for another week since I DID just have a major change in my running - going to forefoot striking - and I do NOT want to hurt myself again. Program covers 1.55 miles in 23 minutes, and is so easy to use - push one button and forget about it! I love this treadmill... Big grin I tell ya, that thing has been probably the best purchase I've ever made. Come to think of it, aside from school it's the most expensive too... Shocked Goal for the week: run 1.55 miles every day, have the neuroma pain completely gone, and have no new pains. Followup with the podiatrist is Wednesday morning. Modified to add: I wanted to say that streaking is definitely working for me: it helped give me motivation to keep training even though I was having all this neuroma pain. And keeping on training is what allowed me to come up with the idea of forefoot striking. Which is allowing me to run. Nice little circle there...

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Week 2 of my taper, starts tomorrow. One to go afterwards. Then CMM... Another day, another run.
      Ojo

Did 18 miles on day 150! Ran the furthest I have ever run without a walk break. One more week and then I'll be tapering too.

Sara

MM #2929

KvnJns

Well I had to re-start my streak on Wednesday. Due to a work related trip I was not able to get in any runs on Mon & Tues. I also had to pick it up at the end of this week to make up for lost miles. Just finished a 6 miler a few minutes ago and plan on a light Easter dinner and getting back out this evening for another 6 miles.

Kevin

Jill_B

I fly.

Tomorrow is 30 days for me. Woo hoo! I got in a long run today (12), but not as long as I had wanted since DH is on call for 3 hospitals. It was possibly the most boring long run (not on the treadmill) ever as I just did 1 mile loops around the neighborhood 12 times. I wanted to do 14 loops, but I had to quit early so DH could go in to one of the hospitals and see a patient. Maybe I'll do 3 more miles tonight on the treadmill to make up for it. We'll see. MTA: I did not run in the evening. I ate instead. Smile

Bring it on.

Had to be creative to in day 15 between church gigs and family visits today.
              jeffdonahue

Not a bad week for me - still some tightness in the achilles area and some pain returning to the ankle as that starts to feel better (weird). But Ennay threw out the gauntlet in the race for 2000 miles. I really dont think I'll be able to keep up with her - she has way too much time to train. Milestones this week: mainrun - ONE YEAR!!!!!!! Ojo - 5 months Trent - 4 months Wingz - 2 monhts albertoknox - 2 months jugdish - 100 days Jill_B - one month hawk4932 - return to double digits after a rough week last week Good luck everybody. Jeff
                jeffdonahue

MTA: I did not run in the evening. I ate instead. Smile
                  That's okay, so did I - almost half a chocolate cake to be exact.
                    Another good training week for me. I was really looking at 65 Miles for the week, but I did some week shuffling and ended up with just under 60. I felt pretty gassed on Tuesday.... I think I may not have allowed enough recovery after my race. Also, I have been doing more training runs with my neighbor. It is nice to have someone to run with but I think I end up pushing the pace on easy days. He is at higher fitness level than I am (His most recent effort was a 1:16 half marathon) and I think it causes me to push the easy pace a little. Quality workouts: - 13 Mile long run - Felt strong on this one and this was my fastest per mile time sustained on any training run longer than 9 miles. - 8 X 400M; 200M jog recoveries - First real speed workout of the year and it went well. I felt fairly comfortable hitting the split times directed by the Mcmillan calculator. Hopefully, I can work this up to 10 to 12 over the coming weeks.

Ryan

I am approaching the one-year streak. Day 365 I am going to race a 5K. It is one I have done every year since 2002, except 2006. I hope to PR!
                      jeffdonahue

I am approaching the one-year streak. Day 365 I am going to race a 5K. It is one I have done every year since 2002, except 2006. I hope to PR!
                        Best of luck in the 5K. Any time goal or just going to enjoy it as it is the one year mark for your streak?
                          Best of luck in the 5K. Any time goal or just going to enjoy it as it is the one year mark for your streak?
                          I am going to try and get 19:59 or better. A more realistic goal would be 20:30 or so though.
                            Day 100 was yesterday for me. Its nice to be back in the triple digits again. My longest streak ever was 135 days, and my second longest was 108...so those are my next 2 milestones. My schedule is starting to lighten up, so I'll be able to focus on my runs and workouts more.
                              congrats. on 100 day jugdish I just hit that mark last Fiday, I hit 108 today, thats the most days yet I have got out. This streaking is keeping me motivated workrd 13!/2 hrs yesterday bet still got out tho I dont know if could keep this streak going if it was not for 1 mile runs well keep up the good work (streak) Cool

Turning back the clock one mile at a time