A Mile A Day

Disappointing mile this morning (Read 178 times)

jeffdonahue

I was at a boot camp class this morning and they had a fitness test - as many as you can do in two minutes:

Pushups

Weighted Step ups

Rope curls

Medicine Ball bounce

and then they did a timed mile.  Granted I was a little tired from doing the other 4 tests, but i was a bit disappointed in my time for the mile.  I ran it in 6:33, which for me is disappointing because my PR 5K pace is 6:24 so I thought that I should at least be able to get that.

One thing that did throw me off a bit was that I have never led a race before in my life.  I usually have a bunch of people ahead of me that I can pace off of and try to reel in.  Here I was the fastest person (next person was about a minute behind me) so I was running by myself kind of.

Just kind of brought me down a bit cause I have a 5K in two weeks and I am hoping to PR.

Thanks for listening to me whine

Jeff

If you were the leader, I would not be discouraged at all by that time.  Not to mention all the work you did ahead of time!  I don't think that bodes badly at all for your 5K.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

A Saucy Wench

Especially since you probably didnt get a chance to do a nice 2-3 mile warmup with striders. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

Especially since you probably didnt get a chance to do a nice 2-3 mile warmup with striders. 

True.  And don't you worry Anne, I'll still get another run in at lunch so you dont think I'm dogging it

Got some intervals scheduled for today.

Jill_B

I fly.

I wouldn't be disappointed in that - I find that when I only run 1 mile by itself it's slower than when I run 3 or more together.  I always figured it was because I don't train for "shorter" races, so my body isn't fast at them.  Regardless, you ran really fast and I'll bet that all the other runners are still talking about how fast you ran!

Bring it on.

Ojo

I wouldn't be disappointed in that - I find that when I only run 1 mile by itself it's slower than when I run 3 or more together.  I always figured it was because I don't train for "shorter" races, so my body isn't fast at them.  Regardless, you ran really fast and I'll bet that all the other runners are still talking about how fast you ran!

I agree with Jill!  And I would be one of those runners behind you who would have thought you were really fast!

Sara

MM #2929

A Saucy Wench

True.  And don't you worry Anne, I'll still get another run in at lunch so you dont think I'm dogging it

Got some intervals scheduled for today.

I've decided to cut back my miles for awhile. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

I've decided to cut back my miles for awhile. 

Sorry to hear that.  I Hope everything is okay.

Top 'O the World!

And, you're assuming the timing device was completely accurate?
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      And, you're assuming the timing device was completely accurate?

" Because a split second before the stop watch was started, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!"

parody of a My Cousin Vinny quote...Smile

jeffdonahue

" Because a split second before the stop watch was started, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate!"

parody of a My Cousin Vinny quote...Smile

Funny but even before I read your post that was the exact quote that was running through my mind.