Sub-4 Marathon Group

April 2013 (Read 53 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Congrats, Nick! Excellent race.

Bago- so interesting about ultras- a teammate of mine won an ultra this weekend  at a ridiculous pace - I can't even imagine.

Me- 5 easy this morning- 20 on Sunday will make those miles "easy" by default.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

DetroitTigerFan

docket and mdawg - earlier you mentioned that dew point is a more important metric than humidity %. Can you help me understand why dew point should get more attention?  is it the dew point in relation to temperature that you look at or just the raw dew point number? (i.e - what dew point levels are considered a poor running environment?

Nick - nice job on the half - when are you going to teach me how to run like that ?! Smile are you doing the Martian this weekend?

I did "real" intervals yesterday 12 x 400 and was happy. Unfortunately, we're getting up to 3 inches of rain the next few days

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Here is some information on dewpoint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point

Basically, dewpoint is a temperature in which the water vapor in a volume of humid air will condense into liquid.  This means how condensed the air is with water, if I understand it correctly.  The problem is that after a certain dewpoint, the body cannot cool itself (meaning the body will continue to sweat trying to cool itself but the air is so thick with water that the body does not dry the sweat and needs further sweat to continue cooling down).  This causes the body to overheat.  Which means that for runners, this is bad because the more you run, the more the body overheats, and the less efficient you run.  Basically, the higher the dewpoint, the more it will feel like you're running through water.

To give you an example, Miami has a average dewpoint of 76.  The chart below tells you how bad that is.  I cannot breathe well when it gets to 77-78 and you can see why (80 is dangerous for people with asthma).

This chart explains what happens when you run in X dewpoint:

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I did an awesome 7 recovery miles with 8 X 100m.  It was 86F and super humid (70 dewpoint, LOL), but I had no asthma issues.  Very happy.

Damaris

Our temp maxed out at 84 today (80 degrees during my run) but the evening dew point was around 72/74. 5 miles left my soaked through and ready for some ICE cold water.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Where are you at again?  Our high today was 86F but dewpoint won't get to 76-80 until August.  Or so I hope....

I was surprised my lungs didn't collapse from the humidity today.  You know those lungs have issues....

Our temp maxed out at 84 today (80 degrees during my run) but the evening dew point was around 72/74. 5 miles left my soaked through and ready for some ICE cold water.

Damaris

Where are you at again?  Our high today was 86F but dewpoint won't get to 76-80 until August.  Or so I hope....

I was surprised my lungs didn't collapse from the humidity today.  You know those lungs have issues....

Suburbia of Houston. We just don't have the salty wind you guys do, thank goodness.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Nick - Wonderful half dude!  CONGRATS to you!  Sub 4 is waiting your next full.  Thanks for your compliment also.

Bago - Thanks for the insight.  I have been entertaining many thoughts of doing a 50M next year since I will turn 50 next year.  One of the big clips of advice I keep getting is that for your first 50M it may be a good idea to take regular walk breaks like run 5 miles, walk 1 mile etc.

Docket and Roll - Even though acclimation is not totally possible, it amazes me how you guys get used to so much heat and humidity.  Keep up the good work.

Nick - I lost alot of my weight after before and after gall bladder surgery by not eating (eating hurt).  After the surgery I made very hard but very good choices about eating in order to get healthy (total cholesterol was well above 300).  Exercise was the next progression to getting myself healthy, and as far as my weight goes, exercise was not much of a factor nor is it today.  In other words I dont exercise to keep my weight down, I run to stay fit and because I like to.  My thoughts of getting down to about 150 have to do with my running however have to do with bettering my running so this is a change for me.  For now, while I am resting, and while I am running recovery miles next week, I will be keeping my caloric intake lower than 2000.  After that, I will have to start  getting more creative and referring to the Fitzgerald book you so often hear Josh talking about.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  6 miles with weights later (I missed the weights yesterday).

indiana, yeah, I hate that there is no acclimatization to humidity, least of all dewpoint.  It just sucks for months and months.  But I have people that mock that by saying Michigan has tough summers.  Yeah, sure, I am sure that city becomes a swamp.

Damaris

Ball of Fury

SRD for me....yay!  I thought about doing some easy miles and taking a rest day Friday  before the Saturday 5K, but my body really needs it today.  Both ITBs and my right achilles are very tight and sore....frustrating!!  Going to PT today after work.

Sprinkles:  Nice 5...you are recovering from the 20-miler nicely!

Dtf:  Nice "real" intervals!  What pace did you run them...just curious?

MDawg:  Nice TM run and weights yesterday.  I didn't even attempt to stay up for the game!  DH tied for 1st and I tied for 3rd in our pool, but we both lost our tiebreakers!

Docket:  Glad to hear the rib is better and you are pain free....well, except for the pain of humidity!

Cmb:  I wish my HM pace would get closer to my 5K pace.  I have always had more speed than endurance.

Nick:  Awesome HM time for you...congrats!!

Bago:  Good info on the ultras...not sure I am cut out for that many miles though.

Josh:  Don't you love Pure Cardio?  Seems like 16 minutes should be pretty easy without breaks, and then it's like, wait...I need a break!  I am excited for Shaun T's next program T25.  Sounds like it will be 25 minute workouts, no breaks.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

mdawg87

Good morning! SRD for me.  Pollen infestation continues in the ATL.  Supposed to get some rain tomorrow to wash it away and clear the air...for a few hours anyway.  I'm hearing we'll be in the 70s here on Monday.  Hope that bodes well for cooler weather in Boston.  I will gladly endure a suprise cold front for my friends running it to have decent racing weather.  I will be in serious race stalking/runner tracking mode on Monday.  Soooo wish I was there.  Maybe next year!

Nick:  Excellent race!  Stick around and hang out with the donuts.

Bago:  Great info!  Not sure I'll ever want to do that, but interesting and informative nonetheless.

Roll/Docket:  I'm with you on the humidity in the summer.  It's not quite as bad in Atlanta as Houston or Miami, but bad enough.

Indi:  DH ran a 24 hour race in the late fall.  It wasn't a 50 mile race, but it was similar type racing.  He went into it looking for anything from a 50K to 50 miles just depending on how he felt.  He rested 30 min to 1 hour between 8 mile loops.  He ended up with 35ish miles.  I would think run 5, walk 1 would be a good strategy for a first 50 miler.

AmiK:  Sure hope the PT fixes you up.  Keep an eye on that so it doesn't blow up into something worse.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

SRD today. Did 4.5 yesterday with a fast finish.

Mdawg, +1 on the allergies. I think mine are acting up. We are supposed to get rain any day now too, so hopefully that will help. The worst weather in Columbus, IMO, is when it wants to rain but doesn't. When that happens, it's hot and humid, and the allergies are all kicked up, with no rain as compensation.

Ami, are you still seeing that same chiro? I hope you'll urge him to be aggressive with the Graston. It seems to me that he isn't doing it very effectively, if you are still suffering symptoms.

Indi, hope you are mending well.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Good race Nick, nice time!

Thanks for the suggestions, Bagopux.

He has been running at night to get used to "reading" the terrain with the shadows the headlamp causes.

He is planning to do a lot of walking, right from the start. He is amazingly strong on hills, very strong legs for his body weight.

Over the course of 100 miles the course climbs and falls 13,900 feet!

On a previous 62 mile run he tolerated pizza and cookies very well, and plans to use sports drink and eat bananas.

He has a couple of guys planning to pace him, excellent point about communication with pacers. He tends to be quiet so I will relay this to him.

Docket, the conditions in which you run would have me thinking about moving to a different state- Minnesota, Oregon? I am healthy but I would struggle in those conditions.

Good workout DTF, you had a couple of intervals with longer distance and time. Since you were at a track how did that happen- intentional?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

onemile

Wow, Nick - way to surprise yourself! Very nice race!

DTF - nice job on the intervals

D - nice job on the 7

Amik - sorry the ITBs are acting up yet. Sucks.

Cbus - nice job on the 4.5. Enjoy the rest.

Rest day for me yesterday. I went in for one last graston tune up before the race. I had him do both ITBs and man....that outer hip area is sure painful.  I told him he had to help me get through the marathon so he was pretty aggressive.  He kept going over this one spot in every direction.  Shocked

We are having some really nasty weather here this week.  Thunderstorms, heavy wind and rain.  The forecast for tonight is showing 20 mph wind and rain.  I have my last 10@ MP run and I'm thinking to go to the indoor track.  My MP run last week felt so nice and comfortable and I don't know if trying to do this last one in 20mph winds/rain will be good for my confidence on race day.

Rusk Runner

cbus - DOMS is pretty much gone. My left lower leg is what I am intentionally taking more time off for. I will either break until Saturday, and do a nice easy and short run on Sunday, or I will start doing a week of recovery miles on Monday. I plan on having at least 35 miles next week and be back up around 50 within 3 weeks.

Nachos - I meant to comment yesterday and say that I am happy for you no matter what direction you turn to in order to get your endurance fix. I do hope that you will visit us here. I have broken the sub 4 barrier in all 3 of my races but I have no desire to join any other group because of the overall running/fitness conversation and support here. I miss those that have gone, and enjoy those that have remained.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!