The League of Extraordinary Runners

Race Results (Read 2297 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rick, is that what people call "Druid Hills" ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Diesel Power

This race does take place in Druid Hill Park, yes. However, I believe the race more commonly associated with the park is the “Dreaded Druid Hills 10K.” However, I believe that race is typically in late June/early July. I’ve also learned in researching this explanation that the Celtic Solstice 5 Mi is supposed to be much flatter than the DDH 10K. Who knows, maybe there will be a PR in my stocking this Christmas…
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Jingle Bell 5K this morning... We got started late, and hurried to get moving, b/c Crystal said registration closed at 07:45. I dropped Crystal off at the stage so she could get our bags. I thought it was cold and the breeze this morning was cold, but everyone says it wasn't as bad as Thanksgiving run at St Mary's City b/c of the wind they had. I had wandered off to the bathroom and was chatting with people and forgot to find Crystal before the start to put our jackets in the car. I found her lined up at the start -- it was really crowded -- and she'd just dumped her jacket at a certain spot on the sidewalk, so I added mine to that heap and climbed into the wall to wall start. It was just below freezing, and some people were crazy enough to be wearing shorts Smile I tried to go a bit fast at the start to get some room, then as I headed towards the medical building I started looking around. I spotted Rick Braam, DR, and Rob Fritz, but couldn't see Paul Serra. Maybe I said that out loud, because he shouted at me, "I'm behind you Perry". My goal was to try to run with him if I felt like it. I caught up to DR going around the medical building -- DR, was that girl next to you the one from Mechanicsville who runs the same streets as you (Jessica Schwab maybe?). He said he was shooting for 6:15 pacing, and shortly after that Paul Serra went by us fast, so I took off to chase him. It took me a good mile to catch up to him, at which point I asked him what his mile split had been, and he said 5:56, which put mine about 6:00, which was the target I had if I was shooting to PR. (I was gonna shoot for that, til it was so cold.) I ran with Paul Serra for the next mile and a bit, then he faded a bit coming to the end of the island, and I moved on alone -- passing the dump truck before it backed out into the road, and continuing up that long hill to the museum. I understand it's not much of a hill, but it feels like a hill to me in the last mile of a 5K there. I couldn't catch up to Rob Fritz ahead of me, and I didn't see any shadows coming up behind me, so it was hard to push myself, as I was tired and almost sick to my stomach (just from running very fast for me). I was happy with my time, and I was happy to succeed in a goal of hanging with Paul Serra. I was only a few seconds over my 5K PR. Crystal did a PR by 32seconds I think -- she said she'd started losing her vision in the last mile (I've had that years ago, where peripheral vision kind of goes as everything gets darker), and she looked really tired coming in at the end, but I yelled at her to sprint for the finish, so I did my job Smile The woman who I assume is DR's mother (?), was really nice, and she cheered really loudly for Crystal when Crystal got her age group award, so that was really sweet of her. Crystal and DR both got age group awards -- hats. Hopefully DR will post his own race report.

Durrr

Bullets are my new style ... • The temperature was actually a few degrees colder than it was two weeks ago, yet the lack of wind chill today made all the difference. I actually felt close to sweating at a couple points this morning. • Just before the first quarter, Perry said, “Hey DR” and caught up to me. I was but one step behind until about 0.6 miles in, at which point he began pulling irrevocably ahead (I believe I hit the first mile just past 6:00, but then the course marker didn’t appear until the Forerunner clocked 1.07 miles — despite the fact that it was perfectly in sync with the second mile marker). I did, however, manage to keep Perry in sight for most of the race’s remainder. To measure the dividing distance as the museum turn-off loomed near, I began counting in my head as soon as he passed a street sign. Thirty-seven seconds elapsed before I achieved that same street sign — indicating that I didn’t gain or lose much ground after that. • Similar to Perry’s predicament, I didn’t have anyone to catch at the end — and there was no one to catch me. Thus today was one of those races where I more or less coasted in to the finish. • My finishing time of 19:19, though three seconds off my 2006 Jingle Bell time and 47 (!) seconds off my 2007 Jingle Bell time, marked major pace improvement from over the past three weeks: 3.01 miles in 19:57 = 6:37/mi (on 11/15/08); 3.21 miles in 20:24 = 6:24/mi (on 11/22/08); 5k in 19:19 = 6:14/mi (on 12/6/08). • You know, as recently as early October, I thought breaking 18:00 would be a realistic goal for today. And as it turned out, breaking 19:00 was not even to be. I’ve decided, however, that — in my aspiration to keep running for decades to come — I really can’t hope to keep steadily improving year after year. If everyone did that, you’d see a lot more people running in the 16:00s! We just have to accept that some years ... some seasons ... some races ... will inevitably be steps backwards — giving us all the more motivation to try harder next time. • I charted the course via mapmyrun.com, and accessed the elevation feature. Believe it or not, there’s actually a 12-15 foot incline from about where the two mile marker is to where we turn off back towards the museum. • Though the woman who won the women’s race today does resemble Jessica Schwab, she was actually Scottie Fuchs (pronounced “Fewks”) — the female winner of the Robbie Miles 5k last May. And yes, those were my parents there, cheering and taking many photos. • Since so many young men finished ahead of me today, I didn’t get up much hope for the awards — especially not when considering that 18:32 gave me third place in the age group last year. So imagine my elation when I was announced to be the FIRST place finisher in the men’s 19-29 age division today! I’m on a gold streak. • It was great to see Perry and Crystal there today, yet I was greatly disheartened that this was the fourth consecutive race in which I was joined by not one single high school running comrade. Hospice back in April was the last time we had a decent group together. I’m beginning to fear that Joe is just one stride away from hanging up his running shoes for good — which would be a real shame, since he seemed to be undergoing a bipedal revival back in August and September. I earnestly hope that the hour may come again when we all draw strides together. And mainly I just miss the camaraderie of it all.

Diesel Power

Nice job to you both. DR - There's a $6 8-miler up this way on 1/18. I'm also thinking about having some kind of birthday thing that evening. Just saying...
            Durrr

That actually sounds quite appealing, especially since I hope to do a couple long-fast races (10k to half marathon) during January and February. And a birthday celebration will certainly make the trip more worthwhile.
              Durrr

RUNNERS ONLY Place No. Name Sex Age City State Nettime Fintime Pace ===== ===== ========================================= === === =============== ========== ======= ======= ===== 1 318 Jesse Stump M 26 Catonsville MD 16:25 16:25 5:17 2 109 Tyler Miluski M 17 Tall Timbers MD 18:12 18:14 5:53 3 314 Richard Braam M 43 Leonardtown MD 18:16 18:17 5:53 4 315 Victor Papagno M 40 Hughesville MD 18:22 18:23 5:55 5 50 Steven Francisco M 17 St. Leonard MD 18:29 18:35 5:59 6 291 Matthew Hallenbeck M 16 Lusby MD 18:33 18:38 6:00 7 56 Robert Fritz M 46 Lexington Park MD 18:45 18:46 6:03 8 235 Kyle Dilling M 15 White Plains MD 18:48 18:48 6:03 9 126 Perry Rapp M 43 18:51 18:52 6:05 10 234 Scott Dilling M 41 White Plains MD 18:56 18:58 6:07 11 51 David Francisco M 15 St. Leonard MD 18:59 19:04 6:09 12 278 Jeff Gay M 17 Solomons MD 19:05 19:08 6:10 13 187 Paul Serra M 52 Lusby MD 19:10 19:12 6:11 14 124 David Raley M 25 Mechanicsville MD 19:19 19:21 6:14 15 219 Matthew Hale M 17 Mechanicville MD 19:27 19:31 6:17 16 296 Miles Ervin M 39 Lexington Park MD 19:35 19:41 6:20 17 151 David Walser M 27 Lusby MD 19:55 19:56 6:25 18 288 Jon Tipton M 17 Lusby MD 20:11 20:13 6:31 19 289 Scottie Fuchs F 33 Lexington Park MD 20:18
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Original Jingle Bell (Solomon's Dec 6) results: http://www.marathoncharitypartners.org/acf/20081206.html After some MS-Excel manipulation, I created a version that includes age-group placement and also gender placement: http://www.geocities.com/cbrc_stuff/JingleBell2008b.htm

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ran 10mi in wind and rain this morning, just in time to arrive at the firehouse for the Nutcracker all wet and bedraggled and shivering and with teeth chattering. Discovered that it is difficult to change shoes with cold hands, and I can't tie the knots I usually use (had to settle for simple bowties, which came undone later). Ran the Nutcracker at a comfortable pace. What a morning. Wonder if DR did his 19-miler in that rather miserable weather.

Durrr

That's quite a warm up you ran before the race!

Diesel Power

The official results still need to be edited for the Celtic Solstic 5 Miler, but here are the preliminary results... Alden Gross: 41:50 (PR) Val Grape: 42:24 (PR) Rick Schaffer: 35:31 (11 seconds off PR) Mine could be up for dispute, but I'll probably let it go. There was an error with the chips of about 20 out of 2,000+ runners, me being one of them. As of right now, we unfortunate few have a "preliminary" time of over 9 hours! The people in charge of times posted a note that they are aware of the issue, and asked us to email our watch times. I started and stopped my watch each time I hit the mat, and recorded a time of 35:21. I emailed that to the results team. They emailed back that my official time was 35:31.90. I would try to dispute that, but several things are keeping me from it. First, it was a very enjoyable race that had unavoidable issues. Second, even if my "official" time were 35:21, it would still be a second of tying my previous five mile PR. Third, I came nowhere close to placing in the age group. Finally, being that I came into the race not expecting to perform well at all, there's no sense in causing a stink about an extra two seconds per mile. EDIT: I’ve decided to investigate the issue further, out of pure curiosity. I’m now being told that the start difference was subtracted from the watch time I provided to account for the time it took to cross the start line after the gun went off. First, I hit my watch as I crossed the mat, not as the gun went off, so there shouldn’t be an 11-second discrepancy. Second, why would they ADD the difference to my watch time, rather than subtracting it? I’m not saying I should be recorded at 35:10. I’m not even saying it should be 35:21. If it should be legitimately higher, fine. However, Alden’s preliminary time is almost exactly the same as his watch time. They’ve managed to work me up over a situation that I was completely calm about earlier. Now my attitude is that I paid the same race entry fee as the fastest and slowest person out there, so I should equally be entitled to having my time recorded properly.
                        Durrr

Over nine hours?? That would equate to an average pace of about 1:50:00/mi! But I'm sorry to hear that you were among the unfortunate few to get screwed over by the chip glitch, especially in light of your strong performance.
                          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

*Adding* 10 seconds to account for time between the start and when you crossed the mat makes absolutely no sense at all -- I wonder what they're thinking.

Diesel Power

It looks like most of the confusion has been sorted out... my chip time is now listed as 35:20.90. Confusingly, Val's gun time is list as 42:20, which is the same as her watch time (she hit her watch mat-to-mat, not as the gun sounded). Her chip time is listed as sub-40! However, Val is confident enough in her watch time to accept that as her new 5 Mile PR. I question how prepared the results-team was for this many people for a "local" road race. There were 1,926 official finishers as of the 12/22 revised results, and probably another hundred or so who DNF.
                                We're waiting!