The beautiful persons club

BP Training (Read 561 times)

Bugs

Training is messed up again and I need help and I know we've got awesome runners in this group. I was trying to follow Hal Higdon Int I plan for my HM in May. I squeezed in a LR last night. What would you run the next two weeks based on my calendar? 30 miles this week? 35 next week? Usually I run long on Saturdays, and need to get back to that eventually. HELP.

Bugs

Another Passion

Training is messed up again and I need help and I know we've got awesome runners in this group. I was trying to follow Hal Higdon Int I plan for my HM in May. I squeezed in a LR last night. What would you run the next two weeks based on my calendar? 30 miles this week? 35 next week? Usually I run long on Saturdays, and need to get back to that eventually. HELP.
      Me being... not one of them... I'll defer. Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Bugs

Me being... not one of them... I'll defer. Big grin
        Since you bailed on me, maybe Blaine or Marcus would have some advice. I'm just not good at this week off business. I am cleared to run, no heart monitor required.

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Since you bailed on me, maybe Blaine or Marcus would have some advice. I'm just not good at this week off business. I am cleared to run, no heart monitor required.
          I am not good at suggesting training for others because I rarely follow the "rules" myself. But if you're training for a HM, I don't think you need a long run of more than 16-17 miles two weeks out. You are already at 14 so as far as the distance goes, you're on track. I don't know what date your race is on, but back up two weeks from that wekend and plan a long run of 16-17 miles. Use your weekly long runs between now and then to work your way up. 14, 15, 16, etc. There is nothing wrong with doing the same distance two weeks in a row and there is nothing wrong with increasing distance by 2 miles per week if you need to. Make sense? If I recall 35 MPW has caused you problems in the past, right? Refresh my memory. The most important run is your long run. The rest can be filled in as you see fit as long as time and health allow.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Bugs

35 mpw is when I got sick, but nothing to do with mileage. I can handle up to 55 but I need to do 30% cutbacks inbetween. Less miles than that I usually cut back every two weeks. The HM will be just another run, I just can't get myself into the condition I was last year in 5 weeks. Like the saying goes, "Sh!t happens". Sad So my only real goal now is to add miles. So the question is when you have a week off like I did, can you jump back to where you were or do I have to cutback? How would you do it? Just run and add miles based on how your legs feel?

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Just run and add miles based on how your legs feel?
              That's exactly how I would do it. I would set no mileage goal but would just let my legs dictate how much I push it distance and intensity wise.

Bugs

I am not good at suggesting training for others because I rarely follow the "rules" myself.
                Don't worry, I won't sue you. I would post in the general forum but some yahoo would tell me to start at 10mpw. MTA: Then the yahoo would say to use the extra time to do my taxes. Tongue

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

Don't worry, I won't sue you. I would post in the general forum but some yahoo would tell me to start at 10mpw. MTA: Then the yahoo would say to use the extra time to do my taxes. Tongue
                  Just ease back into it. I would take one extra week to get back to where you were. You didn't lose enough time to have lost a significant amount of fitness. You will be fine.

I'd be a little careful about going too far twice in a week - you ran 14 today so you might want to be a little careful about running 15 on Saturday. Those 2 days alone would account for more than your weekly mileage for the last 5 weeks w/only 1 exception. I think that might be pushing it a little more than you need to. With a cutback week and then a week "off" (mostly) you really aren't looking at a ton of deconditioning. You already have 16 miles this week, I might look towards treating Thursday as another rest day and only run 2-4 miles, and then look at doing 7 on Saturday. A little extra rest certainly won't hurt and the gains that you'll make aren't worth the risks, in my mind.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Bugs

I'd be a little careful about going too far twice in a week - you ran 14 today so you might want to be a little careful about running 15 on Saturday. Those 2 days alone would account for more than your weekly mileage for the last 5 weeks w/only 1 exception. I think that might be pushing it a little more than you need to. With a cutback week and then a week "off" (mostly) you really aren't looking at a ton of deconditioning. You already have 16 miles this week, I might look towards treating Thursday as another rest day and only run 2-4 miles, and then look at doing 7 on Saturday. A little extra rest certainly won't hurt and the gains that you'll make aren't worth the risks, in my mind.
                      I agree I can't do 15 on Saturday, but I didn't want to have so many days between LRs so I ran LR last night. I'll do what you advise, may cross train if I'm out of my mind bored. And wait to plan next week on Sunday. Thanks!

Bugs

Another Passion

I may not have any sage running wisdom for you cause, frankly I suck at running and will never be a fast runner, however... I can defibrillate you. Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Greatest of All Time

... I can defibrillate you. Big grin
                          Well Bugs, you got that going for you, which is nice.

Bugs

I can defibrillate you. Big grin
                            Does it got batteries? I want to go LG if I'm going to let a guy use his toys on me.

Bugs

Last weekend I got my CPR and First Aid certifications for the first time in over a decade. My have things changed. I didn't bother getting the defib cert though since I'm not going to buy one and likely won't have access to one anyway.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Bugs

Last weekend I got my CPR and First Aid certifications for the first time in over a decade. My have things changed. I didn't bother getting the defib cert though since I'm not going to buy one and likely won't have access to one anyway.
                                I think that's cool, good to be a smart person. What made you decide to do it? You have many 911 moments in your network room at work? Once I fainted at work, and they were so glad I did not do it there this time.

Bugs