The beautiful persons club

Ironman (Read 417 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Technics, check DJM-600, check CDJ-800MK2, check Ortofon, check V700DJ, check No Serato though. Those Sony headphones are the only ones I have ever needed. They are the bomb.
    Heh, this reminds me of photo gear discussions...lots of model names, numbers, randomness that only people who use the same brand would get... Wink Marcus, you've got great perspective on things and a healthy way of handling the sort of injury that would be seriously crushing for a lot of folks (I know I'm not dealing particularly well with my forced downtime. Not sleeping well, starting to panic about whether I will be able to run my race or not). I hope your doc can figure out the true cause of your injury and repair it. Not knowing why something hurts is beyond frustrating, since it can't be treated.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

Heh, this reminds me of photo gear discussions...lots of model names, numbers, randomness that only people who use the same brand would get... Wink Marcus, you've got great perspective on things and a healthy way of handling the sort of injury that would be seriously crushing for a lot of folks (I know I'm not dealing particularly well with my forced downtime. Not sleeping well, starting to panic about whether I will be able to run my race or not). I hope your doc can figure out the true cause of your injury and repair it. Not knowing why something hurts is beyond frustrating, since it can't be treated.
      ZZ, I have posted in this group previously about how ill I was in law school. I have been knocked on my ass quite a few times in life. You simply have to get back up and drive on. I appreciate the compliment and I know the mindset and mentality of which you speak. I love to run but had gotten away from it and forgot how much I loved it. This year we were reunited and for 4 months at least it was great. I had one really great race, and one very fun race (River to River). I got associated with this board and all the great people herein. It has all been very positive but for this injury. But I don't live for running and never have. Maybe it's the Buddhist in me, but I don't ever need or want something so bad that my life is a wreck if it's taken away from me or I can't have it. Read that sentence three times and let it soak in. It's so simple but if you can live this way it's a very good thing. My personal relationships are a bit different obviously, but you get my point.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But I don't live for running and never have. Maybe it's the Buddhist in me, but I don't ever need or want something so bad that my life is a wreck if it's taken away from me or I can't have it. Read that sentence three times and let it soak in. It's so simple but if you can live this way it's a very good thing. My personal relationships are a bit different obviously, but you get my point.
        I think that's a really healthy way for anyone to live. Not a very "American" mindset, though (which is a good thing). Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Oh Mighty Wing

My personal relationships are a bit different obviously, but you get my point.
          Good thing otherwise Mrs. Marcus might not be so thrilled with your outlook! hehe although actually a bit of it probably rings true - I don't need DH, but I want him more than I could ever put into words. You have a very positive outlook on life. One I have always tried to embrace - I'm still probably working on alot of it. Smile anyway, I am glad you have a balance and don't get down over set-backs (at least not in a permanent way).

The Greatest of All Time

I think that's a really healthy way for anyone to live. Not a very "American" mindset, though (which is a good thing). Wink
            Definitely not American. I don't want to sound like some chanting nut, but Easternizing myself (to an extent) has really paid dividends. I realized that I have nothing. I own nothing. There is no Marcus. The following comes to mind: There was a scene in Band of Brothers where some very frightened private was laying low in a foxhole for fear of being shot by the Germans. This Captain comes up and tells him that he will lose his fear once he realizes he is already dead. I took that to mean that he needed to completely let go of everything except the moment. In a similar sense if you realize you have nothing and only need the minimal essentials to live on, then everything else becomes window dressing that if need be you can do without.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In a similar sense if you realize you have nothing and only need the minimal essentials to live on, then everything else becomes window dressing that if need be you can do without.
              There'd certainly be a lot fewer people with massive debt and more mortgage than they can afford if everyone thought like this.

~ Sarah Kay

The Greatest of All Time

There'd certainly be a lot fewer people with massive debt and more mortgage than they can afford if everyone thought like this.
                I agree Zoomy. For some reason it's a status symbol in this country to have the really big house and the expensive cars. But I wonder if having all of those things brings happiness? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate nice things, but only to a point. I would rather have my Accord than my old law school beater. So I am part of mass American consumerism, but I try to keep it at a minimum. What was that line from Forrest Gump.."there's only so much fortune a man needs; the rest is just for show." Very true. I have found that material possessions only bring me temporary happiness. Inner peace and healthy personal relationships is what generates sustained happiness and will always be there for me when things go wrong. A big screen TV can't make me feel better after having a bad day at work, neither could a Corvette. But my wife can, but even without her I could make myself feel better. I have the ability to make myself happy and it's something that took a long time to develop. But anyone can do it. Ok, I am preaching big time.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I agree Zoomy. For some reason it's a status symbol in this country to have the really big house and the expensive cars. But I wonder if having all of those things brings happiness? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate nice things, but only to a point. I would rather have my Accord than my old law school beater. So I am part of mass American consumerism, but I try to keep it at a minimum. What was that line from Forrest Gump.."there's only so much fortune a man needs; the rest is just for show." Very true. I have found that material possessions only bring me temporary happiness. Inner peace and healthy personal relationships is what generates sustained happiness and will always be there for me when things go wrong. A big screen TV can't make me feel better after having a bad day at work, neither could a Corvette. But my wife can, but even without her I could make myself feel better. I have the ability to make myself happy and it's something that took a long time to develop. But anyone can do it. Ok, I am preaching big time.
                  Nah, you're not preachin'...you're a class act with a great outlook on life, man. As for the Accord, that's an awesome car. Probably one of the best combinations of comfort, practicality, efficiency, reliability, and price. That's not a show car, it's a solid, smart piece of transportation. And I think the car/house status thing is slowly starting to change. As much as the gas prices can make life expensive, it is forcing people to choose the least car for their needs, instead of the most. We've always been fans of more bang for the buck in what we drive and it's nice to see the rest of the nation starting to catch on. It's one way to help minimize pollution and overuse of natural resources.

~ Sarah Kay