Ultra Runners

Badwater (Read 686 times)

I've never looked at the entry fee 'cause, let's face it, it's not a race I would even contemplate doing.  But Holy Crap!  Talk about prohibitive!  I'll just go visit my aunt and uncle who live near there - free room and board. Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

I've never looked at the entry fee 'cause, let's face it, it's not a race I would even contemplate doing.  But Holy Crap!  Talk about prohibitive!  I'll just go visit my aunt and uncle who live near there - free room and board. Big grin

It's weirder than that.  It's not "pay the fee, run the race".  You have to apply and state your case regarding why you are worthy.  It has to involve other long races. Then, they cherry pick who they want and invite. THEN you pay.  And pay and pay.  Because in addition to the race fee, it costs a lot of money to rent two vehicles (probably one of which is a van) and buy food and coolers and 1,000 bags of ice and fund whatever you think is right for your support team (unless they pay themselves), etc etc etc.

Oh.  And gas.  See, it's 135 miles you have to cover, point-to-point.  And neither end is near anything.  AND one of your vehicles is probably headed back to (I'm not sure where) or forward to lone pine to get more shit. Lots and lots of gas.

THAT SAID.

I know 8 people who applied.

All 8 people got in.

When it comes to throwing money at adventurecorps for the most expensive fatass on earth, I honestly don't know how choosy they are.  I'd bet that the biggest cut involves folks with no experience.  Beyond that?  Ehhhh... I dunno.

Carl A

Uh huh, the world is a funny place,
        and it's calling you names.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

xor

Wardian just finished third.  26:22.  He was 1:20 behind Oswaldo at Lone Pine and finished about 2:40 behind.

Sekiya finished 2nd at 24:49. 1:08 behind Oswaldo.

They just tweeted "Marco Farinazzo (4) had a muscle pull earlier and visited the medics. He is now back out on the course making his way to Lone Pine."   Hmmm. They just tweeted that, but they tweeted something very similar hours ago.  Not sure if that's fresh.

wow... I had heard it was expensive, but damn...  $1000 for essentially a fatass event.  One could enter the UTMB and pay all the travel expenses to Europe for that kind of scratch. 

Regardless, huge props to everyone running it... what madness. Smile

xor

smalcolm's runner is around M103.  From what I gather, the crew has had some jolly misadventures, but things are going well.

Smalcolm is not in this pic, she took it:

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

wow... I had heard it was expensive, but damn...  $1000 for essentially a fatass event.  One could enter the UTMB and pay all the travel expenses to Europe for that kind of scratch. 

Regardless, huge props to everyone running it... what madness. Smile

UTMB 2012.  Checked the qualifications.

Who's in?

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                xor

Jenn Vogel might have won.  Or not.  She started at 8a.  Badwater has three starts: 6a, 8a, and 10a. Jenn started at 8a.  Now has to wait two hours to see.

And guess what.

Badwater tweet: "Sumie Inagaki (11) is on the portal road and could win the women's race. She started at 10am, Jenn Vogel started at 8am"

In other tweet news: "2010 champ Zach Gingerich (1) finished with a time of 25:40"  Given that they called Wardian 3rd with a 26:22, I'm assuming they will update something or other soon.

UTMB 2012.  Checked the qualifications.

Who's in?

Maybe!  It's a long way to fly a 3-year-old... she may drive the other passengers crazy.  But, considering it for sure.  2013 if not 2012. 

DoppleBock

I think at Western States there are clear favorites, but probably at least a dozen people that could win without it being a shocker

I feel there were only maybe 5 people who could have won at Badwater without it being an upset.

smaller race, but I also think they try to get a big mix of talent levels in the race.  I think there main concern is they do not give a spot to someone who has no chance in hell of finishing.  Although I do not agree with their qualification standard - I can respect it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

In other tweet news: "2010 champ Zach Gingerich (1) finished with a time of 25:40"  Given that they called Wardian 3rd with a 26:22, I'm assuming they will update something or other soon.

lopez 23:41, sekiya 24:49, wardian 26:22, gingerich 26:45 (all 10am start)

inagaki 28:49, vogel 29:42, cooper-imhof 29:51 (inagaki 10am start, vogel & cooper 8am start, so other 10 am'ers may still put them back...)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

It's interesting that the top 4 males all started at 10:00.  I would guess this was done on purpose, but you have to wonder what the race might have been like if they started the top 4 at 6:00 instead.  Maybe could have been a new course record...

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

It's interesting that the top 4 males all started at 10:00.  I would guess this was done on purpose, but you have to wonder what the race might have been like if they started the top 4 at 6:00 instead.  Maybe could have been a new course record...

I wondered if starting at 10:00 wouldn't be better.  Less time in the daylight hours.

• Black Canyon 100k
                            • RRR
                            • Zane Grey 100k
                            • High Lonesome 100
                            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                            • The Bear 100
                            • Javelina Jundred (?)
                            xor

Fastest people (or at least "suspected to be") start at 10a. Medium people at 8a. Not-as-fast at 6a.  But it is a long way and lots of stuff can go mofongo.

A couple of my friends have finished now.

A couple more will soon.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe!  It's a long way to fly a 3-year-old... she may drive the other passengers crazy.  But, considering it for sure.  2013 if not 2012. 

For real? If you entered I would come along to watch/crew.