Ultra Runners

April 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

Finished the week with 62.7 miles, 5100' vert.  Mostly on pavement.    I'm hoping there are better options when it's time for my virtual 12-hour race at the end of May.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Just a dude.

71.2 miles with about 6200 feet of elevation this week. Three days off the roads.

Got in some good hill repeats and a tempo run. Long run was a 20 miler.

Got a message today that my target race was cancelled. So now I guess I'm just trying to get in shape, continue losing weight, and maybe I'll do something self supported at the end of May. My fall is already pretty darn busy so I doubt I'll be able to do anything then. Plus, my job went away so money is going to be really tight...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've been holding right about 40 mpw +/-, but essentially no vertical or trail running.  No biggie there since none of my planned races this year are on regular trails and there's not much vertical on a track or groomed trail.  Still have some hopes that the rest of my races won't be cancelled or postponed.  I have a hard enough time with a solo 3 hour training run, so being out 7-8 hours for a virtual race doesn't attract me in the least.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
              06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

76.5 miles this week and 4k of vert. I have felt tired all week from my trail marathon last weekend. Felt better Friday so I ran a self-supported canal dirt road marathon through the city. Finished in 3:45 with only 500 ft of vert.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

nOOky

41.06 with 3,288 feet of gain running, 12.86 hiking, 123.89 with 3,113 feet of gain cycling. Just over 15 hours running/cycling, 22 hours total counting hiking. Long week!

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

holy crap i missed a lot forgetting to switch to the april thread. duh. ive been going to "my topics" instead of through user groups. i though everyone was depressed and gone! i was just talking to Commander keen who apparently did the same thing? anyway thanks Gatsby

*snip*

Ha! At least I'm not alone in this happening. Very much not used to monthly threads, and here we are about to start yet another!

70 miles and 3k-something+ feet of vert last week. Missed out on my longest run of the week, which was a bummer.

I've taken to doing a couple big loops through a large neighborhood right outside of town just for a change of scenery and to not run in straight lines all the time. Still seeing an average of zero people per run. 

Now to catch up on what everyone else has been doing this month!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Running Problem

Problem Child

76.5 miles this week and 4k of vert. I have felt tired all week from my trail marathon last weekend. Felt better Friday so I ran a self-supported canal dirt road marathon through the city. Finished in 3:45 with only 500 ft of vert.

That wasn't no TRAIL. It was a dirt road. "City Folks just don't understand." 

It did kind of inspire me to try and do the 23.xx mile loop around town finally. IF ONLY I was in shape. 35 mile last week.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

weekly 38M running, 16M cycling. was feeling really burnt first part of the week, must have been recovering from cycling a lot last week. would like to get a lr in someday if i can but things being f'ed up as they are cant get a 4hr block of time. it's worth the sacrifice spending a lot of time with DD and trying to help her with online school.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

Another 65-mile week for me.  Finding out that I really don't like running into stiff winds, especially during the second half of long runs, but otherwise the weather in Iowa has been good for running.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

Just a dude.

67.8 miles for me this week, including a 23 mile long run.

5300 feet of elevation.

23 mile long run, where the head got to me a bit. But I survived...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

nOOky

Easier week last week just because you can't go hard all the time and expect not to get hurt or get burned out. Especially given the fact that there will likely be no races the rest of this year, yep, that's my prediction.

Running 37.64 with 5,705 feet of gain, hiking 10.03 with 1,641 feet of gain, 103.03 cycling with 5,705 feet of gain.

I'm wondering if races will modify the qualifier requirements since most people may not be able to get the required number of ITRA points or race qualifying runs in this year...

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

I'm with nOOky, easier week.  36.6 miles, 4000' vert.  Discovered some trails in the open space behind my neighborhood, which do not go too far, but they do go straight up and then straight down so are good for some climbing practice.  And better than roads all of the time!  Most parks are still closed.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

84.1 miles, all easy.

Had a nice little 1.75 run with my oldest daughter (9) on Saturday. Went over what's left of the old XC course across from our neighborhood (it's being changed to a baseball field). She really liked that (especially going off into the "forest" next to the course), so I'm hoping to get her on some actual dirt trails soon. There's a semi-close park with single track that's completely through trees that she'd love.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Pain is my friend

56 miles for me. Kick back week in prep for my self supported 50 miler this weekend. Did one of the hardest speed works in a long time. 10x 4 min at 6:15-6:20 pace with 3 min rest. Not much vert last week.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

RWD

40 miles for me for the second week in a row. It's finally nice out - nice enough that even though I got caught in a rain shower on yesterday's run, I was able to keep going after it passed, and didn't get chilled at all.

I'm signing up for the Bigger Than The Trail virtual race on May 16th, but I'm not sure which distance to pick. My plan is to hit at least that distance, and then keep going til I decide to stop, but I can't settle on a distance. If anyone else knows of any other virtual races that are charitable endeavors (rather than just virtual versions of cancelled regular races), let me know. Maybe I can still hit my spring goal of "signing up for and completing two races."