Ultra Runners

April 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

nOOky

I'm sure you all are aware that they are running the Bryce Canyon trail races. Lots of mixed feelings about it. I didn't look, but I imagine it is full anyway.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

I'm sure you all are aware that they are running the Bryce Canyon trail races. Lots of mixed feelings about it. I didn't look, but I imagine it is full anyway.

They are reportedly putting in place some sort of precautions, but I couldn't be bothered to see what they are.  From where I sit in CA, it seems like a bad idea.  Even if things are okay in UT, a lot of people will be traveling there from places where things are not okay.  The cynic in me thinks the RD just doesn't want to deal with refunding or crediting the spendy race entry fees.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

They are not allowing new sign ups. If you are already signed up great. But you can buy someones entry if they sell it to you or if they are really nice give it to you,

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

interesting to think about what RD's have to think about.

for long races my knee jerk opinion is that people are really far from each other in trail ultras...at least i have been. far more further away than we are living in the city here or going to get groceries. aid stations can pre-package things (take it or leave it) and wear gloves & such.

the thing i think about though is that running an ultra can definitely suppress your immunity, which is why my mileage is down and why i haven't done any of the virtual races. when we get more antibody testing ppl will realize c19 is out there a lot more than we thought. so many a-symptomatic people with the attitude 'i dont have to wear a mask because i feel fine'. jeez. if people wore masks we wouldn't have had to shut everything down. i guess that small inconvenience was too much to ask. anyway i hope races get to happen but ppl need to be careful and considerate.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

We just converted one of our races to virtual, and the RD (which is not me, I'm too lazy to be the RD for a big race) is going to refund part of the entry for anyone who doesn't want to be converted to the virtual.

If it were me, frankly, I wouldn't have refunded, b/c like every race, we put it in the disclaimer that there won't be refunds, and in the two race series that I direct, we don't refund any missed races. (The series that I put on are cheap, admittedly--our club members pay on the order of $15 for an individual to register for the 5 race winter trail series, or a similar amount to register for the 6 meet summer track series, so there's no way I'm messing with refunding anything that small anyway.)

If the park cancels our trail race (which has happened), too bad, or if it snows so that we can't safely get there, too bad. Although sometimes we have informally run a make up elsewhere or the next day. If we cancel the track meet because of lightning, too bad.

I've seen another area club (of which I'm also a member) cancel a track meet for heat (c 100F), but we actually have held ours in such conditions. Maybe not a smart move, but we're runners--how smart do you expect us to be Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

nOOky

I got 75% back from TRTER for Tahoe. I would not expect a race organization to lose money, so if they have time and money already into an event they should at least be compensated for that. Something like a big race where the entry is well over $300 and it doesn't go on I'd be irritated if they kept it all though.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

MY TRT refund showed up as well. Great timing too because I have truck repairs to be doing when I'd love to spend the 8 hours in the hills training for a tough 50 miler. Somehow truck repairs taking all day is okay by my wife, but if I wanted to run/hike for 8 hours without her and my son it's selfish. hmm...I think I need a new wife. Big grin

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Clearly you need to spend more time doing the drive testing phase of the truck repair, up into the hills, for full drive suspension testing.

Honey, I have to take my running stuff, in case I find any issues with the truck; I'll be up there 6 or 8 hours testing it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

April is over. We've moved on to May and the start of GVRAT.

New May 2020 thread here.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.