Ultra Runners

May 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 31 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Off to the start of GVRAT, The Great Virtual Race Across Tennessee.

Got in 171.2 miles in April, so if I can maintain my monthly average this year I should make it to the finish before August 31.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Thanks WCR! I am signed up but that server is as clunky as my internet. i guess well see if it works. hopefully i can post miles retroactively if it takes a few days to get my bib #. maybe it will be a fun way to get to know Tennessee a little, not that it was on my bucket list or anything Smile

wish i knew how to find my monthly mileage on strava without counting up all the days. i can only see current week and yearly mileage but on the calendar it lumps my cycling and running together. i can say i got 46 hours cycling, workouts and running with 40pr's in 34 activities

here's a qotd: ive been wearing my buff over my face while running lately. it inhibits my breathing just a little. would this be equivalent aerobic base building like nose breathing? (which i think is good) the buff seems like a slightly easier version of this.

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Thanks for starting us off WC.

Funky, nice to see you posting in the correct month.  No idea about getting only last month’s data from Strava.

I had 230 miles and around 15,500’ vert in April.

QOTD: not sure, but it is definitely different breathing through a buff.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got a good start for the month with 12.1 miles.  That qualifies as a long run for me.  Tomorrow I try to get in another.

My 910XT is acting crazy and turning itself on but won't always turn on manually.  So I bit the bullet and ordered a FR245 (no music option since that eats up the battery and it's the long battery life I'm interested in).

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Just a dude.

Ran 277 in April. Probably around 15000 in vert, but I don't have an easy way to look it up...

Lost 9.2 pounds

Contemplating the idea of a solo 50 miler May 30th. I'm going to try a 20+ miler Sunday with the hopes of finishing it feeling pretty good instead of beat up and exhausted... That will probably tell me a lot...

Keep safe everyone!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

nOOky

I found your 9.2 pounds.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

skim1124

Running to eat

April mileage was 280, ending with another 65 miles this week.  Started May by running a 20-miler today for the first time since my race in February.  Looking forward to doing fewer miles next week, though.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)

Just a dude.

I found your 9.2 pounds.

Yikes. Throw it away. I don't need it anymore...

;-)

-Kelly

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

looking at the ss fo the thing across Tennessee wondering if this is just a charity for rds? i am out of work too and i am NOT famous. scrolling for my name across thousands of entries to find a pointless number. no link to points of interest or anything else left wondering what is the point? is this a typical virtual race? at least we should be able to enter gpx files or vert. somewhere outside of Memphis with no specific location i can even google on my own to find points of interest. again: what's the point? so far i just don't get it.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

The wife signed up, I did not. I don't do virtual races, I'm just not a fan. I thought the money was going to a food bank or something? I could check it out, but I don't care that much. If it gives my wife a goal that's a positive I guess.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

The wife signed up, I did not. I don't do virtual races, I'm just not a fan. I thought the money was going to a food bank or something? I could check it out, but I don't care that much. If it gives my wife a goal that's a positive I guess.

i added on to the fee to donate to the food bank. i shouldn't be too harsh, i must be getting grumpy, it's kind of going around 🤐

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

People are sort of making it up as they go when it comes to virtual races this year, so I cut them some slack when things don't go as planned or as I expected.  Sort of like watching the virtual Trail Film Fest on Friday... delays, glitches, unscripted banalities, microphones muted...  and yet it was still a fun thing to be a part of because it was so homely and not polished.  For me, it's more about supporting RDs or charities than about the event itself.  And like nOOky's wife, I like having a goal, even it it's just a virtual one.

I've got about 53 miles and 4700' vert this week.  Will probably go out for a walk later for a couple more, such a nice day here.

Funky, I definitely get the grumpies sometimes.  It's in the air.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Gatsby, fwiw i always appreciate your positive attitude! nice week. weather so nice here too!

finished up the week with 71.2 miles and 5787 vert. i know it's pretty contrarian for training but i set a goal for myself to go 10 miles per day as many days in a row as i can. so far it's 7 with today being an 11M walk for recovery. there are some side benefits though. since every day is about the same i can see which shoes feel best and i can also test out nutrition better. i have been mixing in drills and running on curbs & stuff to keep fast twitch, and also doing some really easy not so fastish like 600's at hmp etc but it's my longest running week in a long time.

bad news today cougar series has been cancelled. i was pretty excited about racing in a series so this really sucks. if anyone has any virtual race suggestions i am open to ideas and despite my grumpiness it's onward across Tennessee. i should be on Beale st about now. "pawn shops glitter like gold tooth caps, in gray decay they chew the last few dollars off old Beale Street's carcass..." -Joni Mitchell

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Pain is my friend

I finished April with 294 miles and 19,000 vert.  It was a great month.

Started out May with a bang. Since my 50 miler was canceled I text some friends and planed my own. We started at the iconic Wasatch 100 finish line and then dropped down Provo canyon on the road. After mile 18 the rest was on trail to the finish.  Finished the 50 in 9:12 with 5,200 ft of vert. Epic day. 

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Just a dude.

75 miles and 7000' vertical for me this week. Best week in a long time.

Took my 23.5 mile long run nice and easy today, and felt pretty good. Gave me hope that I could do a 50.

Lots of opening up talk around here, but the official plans are very slow.

-Kelly