Ultra Runners

2011 Lotteries (Read 1158 times)

Kalsarikännit

I thought it would be interesting to see who will be praying to the lottery gods this year.  Once anyone enters a lottery (please let me know after you have entered), please post it and we can all keep our fingers crossed for you.

Some important dates (please let me know about any that I have forgotten):

Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, June 25, 2011 (Lottery Nov 13-27, Drawing Dec 5)

Massanutten (http://www.vhtrc.org/mmt/entry.htm) May 14 (Lottery Dec 1-7, Drawing Dec 8)

Miwok 100k, May 7, 2011 (Lottery Dec 1-10, Drawing Dec 17)

Way Too Cool 50k, March 12, 2011 (Lottery Dec 6-12, Drawing Dec 15)

Bull Run Run (http://www.vhtrc.org/brr/index.htm)  April 9 (Lottery Jan24-?  Drawing ?)

Hardrock 100, July 8, 2011 (Lottery Now-Jan 31, Drawing Feb 5)

Badwater 135, July 11, 2011 (Lottery/app Feb 1-15, Selection Feb 18)

Mt. Washington Road Race, June 18, 2011(Lottery March 1-15, Drawing March 15)

Wasatch 100, September 9, 2011(Lottery Dec 1-Jan 9, Drawing Feb 5)

Western States

Buzzie

gumbee

HoosierDaddy

WrigleyGirl

Miwok

HoosierDaddy---IN!

PerfesserR---IN!
    smalcolm

srlopez

Hardrock

cgerber

Masanutten

Buzzie---IN!

dspeer---IN!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

HURT 100 uses a lottery now, although it has already occurred for January's race.  But if we keep this thread going, we should add it for next time around.

HURT 100

Massanutten closes their lottery entry a day or two after the WS lottery. Those who don't get into WS can still decide to enter MMT.

Imminent Catastrophe

Miwok

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm entering the Hardrock lottery.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'm entering the Hardrock lottery.

I want to do that race but holy crap that looks like a long night.  I want to say I've done the toughest 100 and think this or Wasatch may be it looking at the course / profiles. 

Not counting HURT as it is a loop and appears almost a novelty (may be wrong) or Barkley as it seems a foregone conclusion that you will fail.  Both would be nice to do given the time and $ - we'll see.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              xor

Why do you think of HURT as a 'novelty'?  (I'm not saying that defensively... honestly curious)

I want to do that race but holy crap that looks like a long night.

Or possibly two of them. Big grin    You do potentially get a lot for your money:  2 sunsets and (almost) 3 sunrises. 

I did Hardrock and Wasatch this year... Hardrock is a lot harder, overall, in my opinion (though I preferred Hardrock, if that makes sense).  There's more climbing and you're spending a lot more time at (much) higher elevations and off trail. 

I had a decent race at Hardrock and the worst race of my life at Wasatch and still ran Wasatch 8 hours faster.   That said, I was really beat up at the end of Wasatch... the last 25 miles are pretty brutal... the trails are in pretty bad condition from extensive motorcycle use.  Really eroded and loose and rocky.  That combined with the constant small ups/downs took a big toll on my body.... I like Hardrock because it only has 12 climbs and you get in a groove on them.  There are only a few *really* long climbs at Wasatch.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Why do you think of HURT as a 'novelty'?  (I'm not saying that defensively... honestly curious)

Perhaps a poor word but seems like

1. Destination
                    2. Less of a running event... There are very few sections where you can run with consistent stride for more
                      than a few hundred yards at a time. (from the manual)
                    3. Seeing pictures that looked similar to Barkley where you are just climbing over things and trying to get by (a lot)

Never done it so this is all my opinion.  Barkley is perhaps in the same boat re: "novelty" although that one for some reason attracts me.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    xor

I haven't run HURT either, though I have run on those trails.  I have *seen* the Barkley trails.  I don't think the two are in the same category, though I get where you are going with your points.  That said, HURT isn't really viewed as a destination race... until it went lottery, it was lots of local folks.  Heck, that's what HURT stands for... the local ultra club.  Show up on Saturdays and pay them 10 bucks to run a race.  It's a fun time, great people.  Though sometimes they like to play jokes on the haoles. ("yeah man, you take dat trail.  No hard, easy down hill").

Parts of HURT are more runnable than they make it seem. And parts, yeah, the pics don't lie.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I thought it would be interesting to see who will be praying to the lottery gods this year.  Once anyone enters a lottery, please post it and we can all keep our fingers crossed for you.

Western States

Buzzie

gumbee

HoosierDaddy

WrigleyGirl

Will be entering Miwok and Wasatch.  Not sure about Hardrock or Way too Cool yet.

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

The King of Beasts

I had a decent race at Hardrock and the worst race of my life at Wasatch and still ran Wasatch 8 hours faster.  

38 at Hardrock is better than "decent" ..just sayin.

I would like to do that race some day, its on my list. 

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

xor

Miwok opened today.

Perfesser entered.

So did someone else.

Shut up.  I can try to count to 62.

Sent my Hardrock application in today.  That's probably the only lottery I'll enter this year... looking at Cascade Crest 100 as my 2nd, but it's not a lottery.  Bighorn 100 is probably going to be my HRH backup.

- Chris

DoppleBock

Good luck to all the lottery players

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !