Ultra Runners

2011 Lotteries (Read 1158 times)

Kalsarikännit

South Dakota doesn't need one.  North Dakota can use an ultra.  There are zero ultras there, and (I think) only three marathons.

TrailRunner had a nice article about some races up there.  They just weren't long enough.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

It looks like Miwok is set now.  No smalcolm, no srlopez.

Unless they twiddle some more, perfesser got in!

(so did smalcolm's and my friend Jess Mullen)

Jurek's blog says he's running Miwok. Not fair, he didn't get picked in the lottery.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Jurek's blog says he's running Miwok. Not fair, he didn't get picked in the lottery.

Yeah, there are quite a few famous-y types coming.  Pretty sure they didn't sweat through the lottery. 

I sweated.  I gave and I gave.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Not a lottery but...

Officially a paid entrant to Leadville Trail 100 as of last night. 

Anyone else running this year?

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Really, it is too bad that races like Hardrock and WS100 cannot make some "executive" decisions to allow runners in if they are "elite".  Karl Meltzer can't get into WS100?

I think it was on Krupicka's blog --- he had posted a list of the Hardrock lottery entrants - what a race it would be if all the elite ultrarunners on that list could get in. 

I think we as runners are pretty spoiled and fortunate that we are given the opportunity to toe the line with the greatest runners out there. 

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

I  actually like that they have to play the HRH lottery game just like everyone else. 

Really, it is too bad that races like Hardrock and WS100 cannot make some "executive" decisions to allow runners in if they are "elite".  Karl Meltzer can't get into WS100?

Isn't the Montrail ultra cup http://ws100.com/muc.htm a way to earn an entry into the WS100? Couldn't Karl enter one of the remaining qualifiers and still get in?

I think we as runners are pretty spoiled and fortunate that we are given the opportunity to toe the line with the greatest runners out there.

I agree.  That's one of the things that makes our sport so cool.

The King of Beasts

i am signed up.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

DoppleBock

Running would be a bit of false statement - I will be there ... moving relentlessly toward the finish line 

Not a lottery but...

Officially a paid entrant to Leadville Trail 100 as of last night. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

If WS100 is your thing - Come do the last chance qualifyer @ Ice Age 50M in May ... I may jog this one?  Not sure - I will not race it - But they have a great after party - Bring a lawn chair and your marshmallow roasting sticks.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

i am signed up.

Headed out early again?  Sub-25 is the goal this year - gotta get over Hope a lot faster this year and lay off salt tabs :/

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)
                        HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If WS100 is your thing - Come do the last chance qualifyer @ Ice Age 50M in May ... I may jog this one?  Not sure - I will not race it - But they have a great after party - Bring a lawn chair and your marshmallow roasting sticks.

That presumes I am fast enough, right Smile 

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)

I wound up 5th on the HRH waitlist... so it's nearly 100% certain I'll be running it again this year. Smile

Hoosier, you were looking for places to stay for miwok? I have stayed at the hostel within the park area, it is very nice, cheap and lots of other runners stay there, would definitely recommend. I have also just slept in the car at the start a couple of times, nothing like opening the windows and listening to the ocean all night. Dennis
                              HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hoosier, you were looking for places to stay for miwok? I have stayed at the hostel within the park area, it is very nice, cheap and lots of other runners stay there, would definitely recommend. I have also just slept in the car at the start a couple of times, nothing like opening the windows and listening to the ocean all night. Dennis

Thanks - will check out the hostel.  The car is still an option, too.

• Black Canyon 100k
                                • RRR
                                • Zane Grey 100k
                                • High Lonesome 100
                                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                                • The Bear 100
                                • Javelina Jundred (?)