Ultra Runners

September 2020 Ultra Training Thread (Read 25 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

September's here so summer is over and no more hot, humid weather, right?  Maybe even a fall racing season?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

WCR thanks, still afraid to sign up for anything...but hey one race that got cancelled made me take the refund on cash app so i bought bitcoin (satoshis) with it and made some profit!

the GVrat is finished but they didnt update the data today which is weird because they had been updating the totals every day for four months. is this like a drumroll or something? i think everyone will lose interest if they wait another day. oh well. anyway here's my comment on the last day

https://fnkyhd.wordpress.com/2020/08/31/gvrat-rat-bat-is-this-it/

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Goal = 400 trail miles for the month.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

about 400M in August

results are in but i cant seem to put images in here anymore my browser doesnt support clipboard access

#164 BAT finish 86 days 3x status 90.20% 6th in my state of WA. total miles 1717.6

i never thought i'd get that far and learned a lot and know for sure now it is speed that causes injury for me, not long miles. i kinda knew that anyway

not sure if ill do anything like this again. maybe if i didnt have a stupid pandemic to deal with...oh wait it wouldnt have happened without the stupid pandemic. in a way it was a dream race though because i did not have to travel and got to sleep in my own bed! ...plus i didnt have to deal with bad food and a lot of overly enthusiastic poorly mannered young people playing cowbells and whooping and hooting for no apparent reason 

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

nOOky

Time to start running again this month. My shed project is almost done, and cooler weather is here, so I'll start hitting the trails and elevation gain more for my upcoming race. I just need to find the headlamps and charge them up, where did I put those things?

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Time to start running again this month. My shed project is almost done, and cooler weather is here, so I'll start hitting the trails and elevation gain more for my upcoming race. I just need to find the headlamps and charge them up, where did I put those things?

must be a nice shed! did you do a slab? plumbing?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Finished August with about 193 miles, just under 15,000' vert.  I should probably start running more this month too.  Like nOOky, I've got a 50k in October.  Unlike nOOky, I don't have a shed to justify my slacking.

10 miles with tempo intervals today.

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Running Problem

Problem Child

Goal = 400 trail miles for the month.

Impressive goal. I'm not sure I've even run 100 ROAD miles for a month. I might could do this if the trails were flat and smooth like a road.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

drock69

I can't believe it's September already. I had a decent August with the 200k. FunkyHd, I think it was a lot easier than a race, less motivation with less people running, and the ability to change the route is maybe not ideal. The first half was really difficult terrain, the second half easier than planned. My friends are planning round 2 in a few weeks as a replacement for Whister Alpine Meadows 100 miler. I might pace them, but unfortunately, I sprained my ankle working on a fence in my yard. I jumped down to retrieve a board I dropped between my retaining wall and my neighbour's garage and landed on the board. My ankle is feeling better but may not be ready for another hard overnight run. I'm not working so I've been doing a lot of work around the house. Was planning to do some mid-week hikes, but have only managed a few. There are almost no races here, so looks like self-supported stuff for the time being

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

nOOky

Finished August with about 193 miles, just under 15,000' vert.  I should probably start running more this month too.  Like nOOky, I've got a 50k in October.  Unlike nOOky, I don't have a shed to justify my slacking.

I'm building a small 10 x 12 x 8 foot garden shed. I did not pour a slab, it's too hard to find someone to pour a 12 x 14 slab right now, so I excavated dirt and built a gravel base. That took two days because I work with shovels and a wagon behind the riding mower etc.

The shed is taking longer than I anticipated, I built a garage about 35 years ago, but it's taking longer than I thought. I built a 2 x 6 floor, the walls, roofed it, and am in the process of priming the outside. That grooved pine plywood is a beotch to prime, it sucks up paint like crazy, and those 3/8" wide cracks suck to paint.

It has 3 windows and a small door and a double door, all built by me and not store bought. In the end I will have a very sturdy shed for about $800 less than I could have bought one, but my time is likely going to be more than that anyway lol. I still have to dig and bury power wire 24" deep from the garage, and I'm making a work bench and built in storage in it. 10 x 12 x 8 seems roomy until you put the lawn mowers and gardening tools in it. We just built a 3 car garage and I don't actually need the room, but I have always wanted one. Now the wife is eyeing it up for something else anyway, so who knows.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

Just a dude.

nOOky isn't slaking. nOOky is cross training...

:-)

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

nOOky isn't slaking. nOOky is cross training...

:-)

Very true!

6/9/24 Cinderella Trail Run 50k, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Pain is my friend

August was another good month for me. Just like July I had about 330 miles. September is only going to get worse.  I just found out that my next 24 hour race is a go. Like all races there are some restrictions. I am just excited to have all my hard training pay off. In my head I know what I can do and want to do. No its time to make it happen.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

only about 40M this week. resting a recurring where inner leg attaches to hip issue that happens when i go too fast too often. yesterday thought trying for 3650 this year is a bad idea so as of now i have no goals except to get relative rest for a while and maybe work other parts long neglected...and look for a job! kinda need some income Smile

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

skim1124

Running to eat

Finished a 90-mile week yesterday with a 40-miler in which I succeeded in staying at close to a 9 min/mile pace almost the whole time.  Had planned to run 50 miles, but the calf I injured in July was starting to feel a bit tight, so I ended it at 40.  My calf and legs feel fine today, so I'm encouraged by the quick recovery.

Marathon PR: 2:52 (2006 Chicago)

Ultra #1: DNF at The North Face Thailand 100K (Feb 4, 2017)

Ultra #2: Finished in 6:53:03 at the Des Plaines River Trail Races 50M (Oct 14, 2017)

Ultra #3: Finished in 12:55:04 at The North Face Thailand 100k (Feb 1, 2020)

Ultra #4: Finished self-organized 100-miler in 19:28:53 (Oct 3, 2020)