Ultra Runners

Leadville (Read 1219 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I will be running. 

Heading up today to do the 50 and see the area for first time.  Given my recent ankle sprain not sure if I will be able to have much fun although feeling much better this a.m. 

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
      How'd the Silver Rush go, HoosierDaddy? 
      Purdey

Self anointed title

A1, Chris etc:

When does registration open for Leadville 2011?

Do you know what the dates are yet?

I am trying to keep an eye open for cheap flights and when they will be announced.

I usually opens in January.  Not sure of the 2011 dates, but it's generally around the 3rd weekend in August, though it varies by a week, occasionally.

- Chris

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

How'd the Silver Rush go, HoosierDaddy? 

Good.  Just shy of 11 hours - will post a race report once I get it done.  Course was challenging but weather & conditions great.  If nothing else I learned that I have room for improvement and will continue to find ways to improve.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Interesting conversation on Ultralist about Leadville selling to a for profit company.  Today's includes this sweet gem from Tom Noll -

For me, the LT100 was like a mountain hippie-chick, a woman that I once loved and will never forget. Western States has always been the star, but Leadville was her mountain hippie-chick sister. I will continue to support events like the little-known Big Horn 100 endurance ride because, even though one of my friends may have moved on, she introduced me to a much larger community, and the members of her community have changed my life.

LT 100, we spent some enchanting nights together when we were younger,

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Matt Mahoney writes, about instituting a lottery to address demand > supply -

The Leadville bike race already has a lottery, even with 1500 riders accepted. The run is the only 100 in the Grand Slam that does *not* have a lottery and a service requirement. The run is nevertheless full after accepting 780 runners at $250 to $300 each. (see entry list at http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/lt100races/LeadvilleTrail100MileRun/LT100un2010EntrantsList.aspx ). In fact the run has no qualifying requirements at all. That is probably why the finish rate is around 40%.

The entry fee for the Leadman/woman is $700. That includes the marathon, Silver Rush 50 bike or run, 10K, 100 bike, and 100 run. I believe names marked with an asterisk are entered in both the bike and run. Rumor has it that is one way around the lottery. (It worked for me).

I would rather see popular events use their popularity for profit rather than restrict entries using lotteries. Either way, some people are going to be unhappy, but I would rather be excluded by a steep entry fee or an out of reach qualifying standard than by a random number generator. Hardrock will never see a showdown between the top elite runners like Roes, Krupicka, Jurek, and Carpenter, because they have to enter the lottery like everyone else and the odds that all of them get in at the same time are minuscule. I would prefer to see stricter qualifying standards (like finish in the top 20% of a qualifying 100) or a steeper entry fee (Hardrock could get $500 to $1000) than the current system where I actually have better odds of getting in than most elite runners just because I have 4 prior finishes. By doing this, Hardrock could comp the entries of elite runners like Leadville and Western States probably do. That wouldn't bother me. It would just motivate me to try harder. A lottery just motivates me to dismiss the race results as meaningless. Who knows if the winner was slower than 10 guys who didn't get in?

I realize that entry fees can get out of hand. Some popular marathons and triathlons sell out within minutes, then sell "charity spots" for $2000 to $5000. Ironman regularly auctions spots on eBay for over $30,000. I won't pay that kind of money. But I will be running Leadville. I don't mind if they run it like a business, because it doesn't make sense to run it any other way. Races that lose money disappear, and that would be worse.
                DoppleBock

Lifetime Fitness - MN bought her?

I know they operate in 12-14 states and run some tri-s and other races ... Anyone have an opinion on how well they have run these other races?

When you buy something, usually you take one of 2 roads - Go in trying to fix it and make massive changes you perceive as "Doing Good" or you run it awhile and make small tweaks to improve it.

If you make massive changes, either it will be really good (Example - Who ever buys a divine raing event, can't screw it up any more than Divine did) or it really sucks - Like when Active bought Coolrunning.  Most times it sucks.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

29:10

Can't wait until next year.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet.  Super sweet!!

Nice job!!!
                        Purdey

Self anointed title

Very, very nice work. Smile

Carl A

That's a great finish photo. Congratulations!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am in for 2011. Now I need to work out how to finance a ridiculously expensive flight to DIA.

Whooppeee, a silver lining indeed Tom

Jerry
                                A runners blog-updated daily