Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 - USA Championship Race (Read 698 times)

Now you have more motivation. Having strong competitors around will help you run a better race. Right???

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Anyone from RA - Up for North Coast?

I'm on the fence. Haven't done any particularly long runs in prep for this but I admit I have thought about it. 

DoppleBock

Roots, I hope you do!

It would be nice to see you and SGH again.

Plus, I think you would suprise yourself

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I think we are starting to get momentum for the 24 hour race in the US - An exciting time. 

2009 = Women win team silver @ World Championship

2010 = Men win team Bronze + individual silver + AR

There seems to me more young talented runners giving the 24 hour a go.  Last year the US championship race ... Mens side had some excitement with Jurek, James and Godale all flying around the course early @ breakneck speed - Godale was just trying to make the US 100k team.  In the end it was veterans Phil McCarthy 1st (151) and John Geesler 2nd (139) - new to 24 hour, but not ultra running Dan Rose 3rd (139)

Women - Connie Garder was going for the women's AR, Jill Perry was keeping pace pretty well.  Always consistent Deb Horn was just going for a 12 hour distance for 50 YO, after that she just settled into doing her thing.  Anna Piskoska was a relative unknow, realing off miles early.  In the end Connie dropped, Jill Perry (136) in 1st, Anna (133) in 2nd and Deb (129) 3rd.

This year I would predict with the increase interest in the 24 hour race and this race in particular, we will see at least 1 more suprise on the mens and womens side.

I do think on the mens side it will take 150 (weather permitting) to make the podium and 135 on the womens side - But that might just be the fan in me being pumped up about the race!

Who are your dark horses to make the podium ???

DoppleBock

Seanv2

I don't think anyone would consider him a dark horse, but is Jurek going to be there?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

DoppleBock

http://www.northcoast24.org/entrants.html

The man always has the right to change his mind, but not likely.  Trail running is good for the soul - running in circles on a .9 mile paved path not so much.

My plan is to get a 100 miler under my belt and then to start looking for a 24 hour race.  Mostly because I think I can fit a 100 miler into my schedule a little sooner.  Hopefully at least one of them happens in 2011.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The man always has the right to change his mind, but not likely.  Trail running is good for the soul - running in circles on a .9 mile paved path not so much.

Isn't he running UTMB in the not too distant future too?

Who are your picks for the podium? Amy P-W's had kind of a rough summer it sounds like. Hopefully she can manage 2nd after WG.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Not that she's a dark horse, but Anne Riddle Lundblad has been on the US 100K team several times (she won silver in 2005) and would be a great addition to the 24 hour team.
                      DoppleBock

Not that she's a dark horse, but Anne Riddle Lundblad has been on the US 100K team several times (she won silver in 2005) and would be a great addition to the 24 hour team.

From 2010 Team

Jill Perry (Rumor)

Anna Piskorska

Deb Horn

Amy Palmiero-Winters

Really Good ultra runners

Connie Gardner

Annie Lundblad

People I know are good runners, but still trying to figure out 24 (I am crewing both for the race)

Jen Aradi

Angie Radosevich

Anna and Deb will have really solid races - Not amazing but Solid - Deb will hit 130-135 and Anna (133-137).  Jill and Connie can definately go bigger - But that carries a much hogher chance of failure.

Amy - Depends on how her stump holds up - She is a really tough lady,  Should be able to hit mid 130s if it hols up.

Annie - Has she run a 24 - Definately a studette - its gonna be fun!

On On

Sabrina Moran is a decent runner from around here.  I think this is her first go at a 24 hour event so she'd be considered a new comer.  She did 17:21 at Umstead though for 2nd so she is not exactly new to the sport.
                          DoppleBock

Updated entrant list

Lisa Bliss and Kim Martin

Sabrina 17:21 shows good potential - If she would slow down a little bit - Maybe to a 17:50 to 18:00 1st 100 miles - Low 130 is possible - You just never know which good 100 milers are gonna be good at the 24. 

Sabrina Moran is a decent runner from around here.  I think this is her first go at a 24 hour event so she'd be considered a new comer.  She did 17:21 at Umstead though for 2nd so she is not exactly new to the sport.

Kalsarikännit

I couldn't believe this girl at Umstead.  I thought she was just some youngster that went out way too fast.  Boy, was I wrong.  She did great.

She has the highest mileage in a 24 on American soil this year (125+ at 20 in 24).

Btw...a great place to find 24 hour (and all other) stats is realendurance.com.  If you go to the summary section you can waste a ton of time looking at results.  It is useful to see where everyone is at for the year in the 24's.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

Wow 23 days and counting

I actually did my 1st ultra-focussed training run last night (measley 4 hours) - I have definately lost some endurance and endocrin system was stressed earlier than it should have been.  It just reminds me of how much fun I am going to have crewing and watching this race compared to the pain and suffering of running it.  Of course the 1st 12-16 hours are all nice and everything, but then the real race begins.