Ultra Runners

2012 Western States 100 (Read 537 times)

DoppleBock

Sorry I am going to have to call BS on the Superior - Not that it is not a really hard course - But if all it takes is a finish of Superior - That would be easy for you.  Hell you could run until midnight - Sleep until 6 am and still get in within the 38 hour cut-off.

I am seriously looking at this for 2013. 

Doing Hardrock would be cool.  Unfortunately I would have to run a qualifying 100 (I've only done one and it nearly killed me) and the closest qualifying 100 to where I live is Superior Sawtooth, a brute of a course.  Think i'll stay with the 50 milers for now!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

Ok, I'll accept your BS.  I guess I just don't have enough interest in putting my body through another 100 miler.  I think I would do it if I had a good chance of getting into Hardrock but last year they had 600 applicants vying for 140 slots.  Not good enough odds for me.  I'm an old geezer and the long races are really hard on me.  There would have to be a very special reason for me to consider another 100.

On the other hand, the "Softrock" sounds great and I'm waiting for WG to supply more details.

xor

I'd be in for Softrock. (probably)

Hardrock isn't that bad.  It only has 12 climbs. Wink

Peter Bakwin (who coined and ran Softrock last year) is running Notrock this year.  100 miles worth of trails in the San Juans that *aren't* part of the HRH course.

Also: If you're quicker than about 39 hours, you get to see most of the course in the daylight.  Big grin

Kalsarikännit

I'm on the road (and three beers into half mary, pavement pounding recovery) if anything worth noting happens at WSER (or there are Bhearn updates), can you guys post them? I shore would appreciate it!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I didn't realize Ryan Sandes was running.  I could see him winning this thing, too.  Tim Olson and Dylan Bowman are other top 10.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

No updates for bhearn since Lyon Ridge (mile 10) at 7:37 a.m.

Hope he's okay and just simply his timing device didn't trigger at Red Star (mile 16). He should be well past there by now.

For WG:

As of 9:30 a.m. (PT), Top 50 runners through Duncan Canyon (mile 23.8).

Top Men:

1 M2 Mike Wolfe M 34 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:29am 03:29:00 On Course
                  2 23 Dylan Bowman M 26 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:29am 03:29:00 On Course
                  3 376 Zeke Tiernan M 36 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:29am 03:29:00 On Course
                  4 M3 Nick Clark M 38 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:31am 03:31:00 On Course
                  5 M8 Dave Mackey M 42 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:31am 03:31:00 On Course
                  6 M6 Timothy Olson M 28 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:31am 03:31:00

On Course

Top Women:

1 19 Lizzy Hawker F 36 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:37am 03:37:00 On Course
                  2 F1 Ellie Greenwood F 33 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:52am 03:52:00 On Course
                  3 F5 Rory Bosio F 27 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:52am 03:52:00 On Course
                  4 27 Joelle Vaught F 37 Duncan Canyon 23.8 08:58am 03:58:00 On Course
                  5 F3 Nikki Kimball F 41 Duncan Canyon 23.8 09:00am 04:00:00 On Course
                  6 F6 Aliza Lapierre F 32 Duncan Canyon 23.8 09:00am 04:00:00 On Course

Waiting for first arrivals at Robinson Flat (mile 29.8)

bhearn checked in at Red Star (mile 16) in 287th place

287 215 Bob Hearn M 46 Red Star Ridge 16 08:57am 03:57:00 On Course

Kalsarikännit

Thanks, Roots.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh and it's cold rain and hail!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I see Catra Corbett dropped at 16 miles (4+ hours).

She ran San Diego 2 weeks ago and then tries to run this?  Waste of a spot.  Really pisses me off.

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)
                          xor

"That's Catra".  (I'm not saying that trying to defend anything)

Saw this on RWOL:

"Ellie Greenwood at Foresthill, mile 62, is 14 minutes ahead of Ann Trason's 94' CR.  Greenwood has been hitting or bettering Trason's CR spit times through the race (RF, LC, DT, MB, FH)"

xor

Pink Tutu Guy is through El Dorado Creek (M52.9) at 12:27 on the clock.

I know y'all were wondering.

Bhearn is through Devil's Thumb (M47.8) at 11:27.  El Dorado Creek at 12:47.

Michigan Bluff (M55.7) at 13:43.

Foresthill School (M62) at 15:20.

(other early drops of note: Kami at 29.7.  And both Gordy and Cowman)

Timothy Olson wins in 14:46:44 roundly shattering Jeff Roes record of 15:07.  . . . . . . dang . . . . . . .

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance