Ultra Runners

May 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thanks Berto.  Now i just have to figure out getting 2 in one. Not that im IT challenged or anything. 

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

TMH where do you live? i was using the quick id on oplin.org but cant see it's head. rat snake? eastern fox? hognose?

OMR how are you doing? i see youve been using the alter-g. how is that working for you?

feeling like 2 steps forward again this week. got some speed in yesterday and it felt so good with zero discomfort!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

OMR

fnky:  Thanks for asking!  Looks like you are making some good progress on your end!

I'm about 6 1/2 weeks post-surgery at this point, and my follow-up appointment with the surgeon was last Friday.  The surgery went well, but while most of my knee is pretty healthy, he did say there was an area that he described as Grade 3 damage, which means that there are significant fissures in the cartilage.  So, he expressed some concern for the long-term, and when I asked what he meant by that, was he talking 10 years from now, he said something like, "Well, hopefully."  Gives me something to think about in terms of how to proceed with training, assuming I can get back to a point where distance running can be a thing again.

As of now, I'm off the AlterG and doing run/walk combos every other day.  I'm hoping to get up to about 20 miles this week, and then I'm biking a ton to keep my knee mobilized (and to burn some calories), and doing the strengthening/stretching work provided by my PT.  I was hoping to be able to run an ultra in the Fall, but the way things are now, I don't see that happening.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd. I live in Chicago area.  We think Fox Snake.  Apparently not uncommon but ive never seen one before so i was suprised by its size.  In the spring theres hundreds of little snakes around there all at once which is also something to see.  Very biblical.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

fnky:  Thanks for asking!  Looks like you are making some good progress on your end!

I'm about 6 1/2 weeks post-surgery at this point, and my follow-up appointment with the surgeon was last Friday.  The surgery went well, but while most of my knee is pretty healthy, he did say there was an area that he described as Grade 3 damage, which means that there are significant fissures in the cartilage.  So, he expressed some concern for the long-term, and when I asked what he meant by that, was he talking 10 years from now, he said something like, "Well, hopefully."  Gives me something to think about in terms of how to proceed with training, assuming I can get back to a point where distance running can be a thing again.

As of now, I'm off the AlterG and doing run/walk combos every other day.  I'm hoping to get up to about 20 miles this week, and then I'm biking a ton to keep my knee mobilized (and to burn some calories), and doing the strengthening/stretching work provided by my PT.  I was hoping to be able to run an ultra in the Fall, but the way things are now, I don't see that happening.

what do you think is worse for it, cumulative mileage or speed? if it is cumulative can you train less but more specifically for shorter/faster stuff?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

beryl - Thanks on my race and RR.

dhuffman - A roommate in college had a Burmese python.  She grew to over 8 feet before he had to give it away (didn't have enough room for her anymore).  For a snake, pretty friendly and easy to handle.

TMH - Yes, that's a pretty sizable snake!  From pics I found on the interwebz, I'd agree that it looks like a fox snake.  I haven't seen a snake that size in the wild in quite some time.

OMR - Sorry to hear about the slow recovery.  Wishing the best for you.

fnky - Nice that the speed work isn't an issue for you.  Take those positives wherever you can!

Discussion - Post Race blues.  Sounds like Krash went through it.  I am a little low with no races on the schedule soon.  Are they worse with a race that you wish would have gone better, or worse with a race that went so well you know you will never match or exceed that performance?  I guess changing up the goals and working on something different is a good remedy.

Yep, I get the blues after every big race.  I'm not sure which is worse though, after a good or bad race.  Guess just different for different reasons.  However, in races where I completely crash and burn, the blues don't last too long because I'm already refocused on improved training and (hopefully) better race.  About a year after my PR marathon, I pretty much concluded that I would never beat that, so I changed my goals instead.  So, I'd say working on something different would be a good fix.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Discussion - Post Race blues.  Sounds like Krash went through it.  I am a little low with no races on the schedule soon.  Are they worse with a race that you wish would have gone better, or worse with a race that went so well you know you will never match or exceed that performance?  I guess changing up the goals and working on something different is a good remedy.

i dont think i get the blues post race specifically but i definitely get the blues sometimes. i guess i get the blues when i can't run so my recoveries always involve running again asap. most of the time i am kinda 'meh' about the whole thing once it's done but occasionally f i have a good race i am pretty psyched. either way i just try to get focused on recovery & the next one...pre-race jitters is a much bigger problem for me so far

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

RWD

i dont think i get the blues post race specifically but i definitely get the blues sometimes. i guess i get the blues when i can't run so my recoveries always involve running again asap. most of the time i am kinda 'meh' about the whole thing once it's done but occasionally f i have a good race i am pretty psyched. either way i just try to get focused on recovery & the next one...pre-race jitters is a much bigger problem for me so far

This is a problem for me, too. Lots of worrying over getting enough sleep, finding parking at the start, etc., as well as this feeling of "why am I doing this? It's going to take forever!"

Thanks for all the nice words, peeps. Even the race pix turned out great.

No thank you on the snake. I'll take the bears instead.

dhuffman63

Trails

RWD I have the same issues.  But this year I've had my first DNF and then a second so now I stress about that too.

OMR

Not sure I'd call it the blues, but I do experience a post-race void.  The time off thing fnky mentioned is probably worse for me.  (As proof, just ask my wife...I've been pretty crabby the past 5 months!)

Bert-o:  Thanks, I'm hoping I am on my way back now.

RWD:  Great pics!

fnky:  Mileage vs. speed:  I'm not sure which would be better.  Right now I have neither!

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

OMR, glad to hear you are still plugging away. i asked about speed vs distance because of the meniscus issue. it seems like distance would be worse for something like that but idk. curious what a pt would say about that.

~50 miles this week with only one day off and some faster stuff thrown in. met up with my occasional running buddy. i run alone 90% of the time and like it that way but it's nice to have a like-minded friend to check in with once in a while...and it's kind-of challenging to run at a steady pace

hope everyone is doing well & having a nice chill holiday weekend!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Fnkyhd.  If by “chill” you mean 95+ degrees then why yes.  It got crazy hot. It was 50s last week

training week. Tapering 33 miles this week:

A Few easy runs

workout: 3x1600 @7:00/min pace VO2max run

5k fun run with family Then 5 sets of the stairs  w/4 mile jog

Nice trail run this am before it got mean

luckily i got out early so it was only like 80s.  This is our first really hot weekend.  Next weekend is kettle 100 they are not projecting this hot but really who knows.  Packing today.  I like to get an early start!

Hope everyone has a nice memorial day weekend.

drock69

Been kind of MIA here, another lackluster recovery week here, under 20 miles, did a hard cycling workout around tempo/threshold effort, so hopefully maintaining fitness. 6 week post race, so should be feeling better, knee is still stiff on and off, and legs feel tired. Missed a 35k trail race on the weekend, and have a 50k coming up in less than 2 weeks. Feels like it's improving, just taking it's sweet time. Weather is nice here right now, especially the mornings, there's still a chill in the air with snow on the mountains, any kind of breeze and you feel it. Did a lot of yard work on the weekend, so had a good 10 hours on my feet, I guess it's better than sitting on the couch

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

OMR

fnky:  Yeah, I know what you're saying.  The surgeon did say that my knee tracks well, so there's not a lot of friction happening.  This makes me think that the "repetitive stress" of distance running may be less stressful on the cartilage than speed running.  I'm not sure how the variability of trail running vs. road running plays into that.  Right now, downhill running is noticeably less comfortable on the joint than flat or uphill running, but there's still some fluid in there, which he said would take a few months to go away entirely.  So...just kind of going with the flow for a while, and gradually trying to ramp things up.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Anything else u take w you for your 100 pak or anything u think is not needed.   Heres what i got:   And though its 100k im thinking like a 100 because its kinda practice for that.  And i go solo no crew or pacers so that may affect things i need a little, not sure.  This is just what im carrying. Wonder how much other people carry.  Seems like a lot.

Soft flasks 2-3 w water (3 only full for long AS distance)

Aquaphor

lidocaine gel

tylenol

ginger chews

duct tape safetypin and gel bandaids

wipes

Waterproof cell phone bag (phone killed by last years rain)

Space blanket

Lightweight waterproof jacket

headphone, keys, chargers, license,

bandanna

one old compression stocking to fill w ice and put aruond my neck

nutrition enough to get to next Drop

battery charger

garmin charger (hopefully wont loose it this time)

(Some things i carry that AS have because my problems alway cone up random times or because im slow things run out)

Closer i get to race more i remeber how painful it was last year (mud, vomiting, more mud, phone killed, more vomiting, way too long to finish, then driving all over afterwards because w/o phone had no map and couldnt find hotel.  How did i forget all that!  Cant wait.