Ultra Runners

Rant re: family comments (Read 516 times)

We had a big holiday brunch yesterday and the topic of endurance sports came up. One person brought up his friend, who does Ironman races. The tone was one of admiration, and he said the friend wasn't some "crazy athlete" or anything. Then when I said I intended on running ultras next year, the tone changed and a couple people at the table insisted that it was "insane." When I pointed out that most Ironmans can take anywhere from 8-18 hours depending on the athlete's level of fitness, compared to ultras that could be shorter or longer than those time frames,  it pretty much ended the conversation.

I wonder if anyone else has run into this with family and friends and how you handle it? It's a little disheartening but it doesn't change my intentions. 

When they call you insane, just tell 'em you resemble that remark. Big grin If people think you are a little crazy, they won't mess with you.

Seriously, though, cars haven't been around all that long in human history.  Feet used to be the way we got around unless you could afford a horse or two.  Nothing crazy about going long distances by foot.  Run on. Smile

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My family remains flabbergasted as to WHY I would want to run so far.  I just tell them it's fun to me and try to change the subject.  I hate those conversations.  My mom is also convinced that I am ruining my body by doing this.  Word to the wise: don't show your mom your feet after you ran for 15 hours through the rain and mud.

Running is dumb.

My son is currently training for a tough 100 mile trail race. (Are there any easy 100 mile trail races? This one involves 13,900 ft of vertical ascent and descent.)

He has run 100kms on roads before, with me along in the car as a support crew, and I have been running six years myself, so I have some idea what is involved. I would not call this a crazy thing to do but I know it will be grueling and physically painful. I know there will be emotional swings with times of despair and moments of joy- and I know he will be proud of himself afterwards.

As his Dad I am concerned he is stubbornly determined and prepared to tolerate a lot of pain to achieve his goal, and that he may cause himself serious harm in his effort to succeed.

From the point of view of a parent I am supportive but apprehensive- I can understand others thinking it is crazy.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Thanks for the comments. I've had to deal with similar comments from family and friends while marathon training the past few years, and I usually just say, "yeah, I know I'm crazy, but I can't help it." Wink

The thing that ticked me off more was that the Ironman athlete got respect while I was called "crazy." Maybe they just thought it was easier or less time out there (which in some cases, is true.)

Occasional Runner

I've dealt with similar situations, even among other ultra runner's. I just tell them that it's a shame that most people set such low limits on what they think their bodies can do. Then I go on to talk about how fat and lazy the majority of Americans are, I talk about BMI, fast food addiction and diabetes . After 3 or 4 minutes of this, I've usually found a way to offend almost everybody within earshot of the conversation. 

bhearn

My son is currently training for a tough 100 mile trail race. (Are there any easy 100 mile trail races? This one involves 13,900 ft of vertical ascent and descent.)

That would count as a relatively easy one. Smile OK, well, maybe "moderate". But yes, many are easier.

bhearn

The thing that ticked me off more was that the Ironman athlete got respect while I was called "crazy." Maybe they just thought it was easier or less time out there (which in some cases, is true.)

That's pretty weird. I wouldn't think that would be a typical reaction. Are triathletes supposed to be more well rounded than runners or something?

That's pretty weird. I wouldn't think that would be a typical reaction. Are triathletes supposed to be more well rounded than runners or something?

I thought it was weird too. I suppose the fact that he does pretty much no physical activity (but is skinny as a rail) could have something to do with the comments. He probably has no idea what the level of exertion are for either sport. 

I've written off most of my family as even being potential organ donors, so really, I don't much care what they think.  Smile

Trail Monster

As my family ages I find less opposition to my antics. My FIL had five bypasses and a new valve put in after a heart attack early this year. Just a few days ago he had his toes amputated. My grandmother has had two heart surgeries this year alone. My mom tried to give me her 'skinny' jeans and was dismayed when I had to tell her they are several sizes too large. All in all they are pretty darn supportive of DH and I trying to avoid their fates. And, like lace_up, I have no problem telling people their blood pressure, cholesterol, and BMI are all probably sky high.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

andrew.albright

Don't they run their marathons in speedos?

And to the dad with the kid running the ultra.  Do a SWOT analysis and turn a threat into a strength by bonding with your son by offering to pace him the last 25 miles.

crunch19

I've dealt with similar situations, even among other ultra runner's. I just tell them that it's a shame that most people set such low limits on what they think their bodies can do. Then I go on to talk about how fat and lazy the majority of Americans are, I talk about BMI, fast food addiction and diabetes . After 3 or 4 minutes of this, I've usually found a way to offend almost everybody within earshot of the conversation. 

DH's family tends to think I am crazy (even at the HALF marathon mark they thought this). But, I am also the one of the only people in his family at a healthy weight, no high BP, low cholesterol, no diabetes, ect. ect. So yeah...who's crazy?

RunJasonRun

I visit my parents every month or so, and they were quite bewildered and worried about when I started ultrarunning a few years ago.  They're a lot more supportive these days, now that they've read my blog race reports and they know that my involvement in the running community has enriched my life.  It still freaks them out, but less so nowadays.  

I think that my parents realize that I'm genuinely happy now, instead of just pretending to be happy.  This is probably what most parents really wish for their children, I guess, and it's a big reason why they do not seem to worry as much about my ultrarunning now.  

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

I think that my parents realize that I'm genuinely happy now, instead of just pretending to be happy.  This is probably what most parents really wish for their children, I guess, and it's a big reason why they do not seem to worry as much about my ultrarunning now.  

That's a great point, and very mature of your parents.  I think that's a good reason why my side of the family doesn't have major issues with my running. They fully support me. Then again, nearly 100% of my side of the family is obese or morbidly obese (not joking). Maybe that's one of the reasons I am so driven in my running style. I've been fighting my whole life NOT to become like the rest of my family.