Ultra Runners

Hydration packs (Read 393 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Your favorite vest type(s)  and why?

Thanks!

steph  

I use North Face Junction 4.  Had to replace the bladder after 6 months, but otherwise I like it.  The bite valve has held up for over a year which is good because I'm usually replacing these every 6 months.  I would guess I have about 1000 miles of wear on it.

Has plenty of storage space for fuel or extra gloves/hat in winter.  Lately though I've been starting to enjoy running with just a handheld when I'm doing loops or less than 20 miles.

I have a Nathan HPL 020 2.0L Race Vest and I'm happy with it. I have only worn it a few times during training and It worked great in the only race I wore it in.  It is very comfy, the front pockets are convenient and fluid capacity is decent.  Just note, however that it does not have much storage.  You can carry a light jacket but that's about it.

Top 'O the World!

I have the Nathan Intensity Race vest because I had a special coupon at running store event for it...I do rather like it. It's very lightweight, had decent front pockets for immediate needs & seems to fit my short torso better than others I've tried.  Couldn't tell you about durability as I haven't had it that long.

DH likes his Go-Lite best. Maybe because he won it at a Marshal Ulrich book signing! Big grin ~ But, it's also very lightweight, holds a larger bladder than my Nathan & has larger front/side pockets for more 'stuff'

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          jjameson

NOOooooo.....  Not another hydration pack question!  OK, there are like five models and everyone likes the one they have!  They are all good.  Some are smaller for women.  Some have pockets and are bigger.

I have never understood why people wear these ridiculous contraptions, I have got to checkpoints and seen runners faffing about taking the bag off, getting the bladder out, filling it and then trying to get it back in.....and can't because all their kit has shifted so empty their bag to put the bag in. Some get stressed and then only fill the bladder halfway as their kit is bulging......leaving the zipper open with the bladder hanging out with this internable sloshing sound as they haven't released the air.

Get one/two bottles and put them on a  belt or pouch, you then know exactly how much fluid you have and you can ration as required, hydration packs don't do that without you having to take the bleeding thing off...detest them

The best pack is the one that fits you, we all have different body shapes and they are best if you go into the shop and try it on. Every race I have been too everyone is wearing different kit in various combinations

Sorry for the rant Smile

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks every one!

I haven't been happy with either of the belts that I have and I

don't much like holding any thing in my hand.  

So I was thinking that a vest type set up would be more comfortable

if fitted properly.  

steph  

jjameson

I was sort of being facetious earlier.  I actually use my Camelback for many runs.  I like to have my hands free and my waist pack would always ride up on my waist until it was up above my belly button.  It's personal preference.

Thanks every one!

I haven't been happy with either of the belts that I have and I

don't much like holding any thing in my hand.  

So I was thinking that a vest type set up would be more comfortable

if fitted properly.  

If you are unsure of fit, I would recommend that you find a store or online where you can actually use it then return it.  My wife tried running in 4 different packs before she found one she liked...

And to Jerry's point, if you plan on using it in races, accessibility of the bladder for refills could be a factor to consider, although most modern packs are built with access in mind.

DoppleBock

Yes I have to take it off - It holds 70 ounces of water - So in a 50 miler I have to take it off and refill once - I can usually refill it in the same time runners take to refill 2 hand helds.  My standard running routes near home do not have water available and it am much more comfortable with nothing in my hands.

I am a really big guy and the Camelback has always fit me well - 70 ounces of water and easy to re-fill.  I have had 1 bite valve replacement and 1 bladder issue in 8 years. 

There are times I wear the camelback and carry 1 handheld - The handheld it to mix exdurox in for additional in race fuel.

I have never understood why people wear these ridiculous contraptions, I have got to checkpoints and seen runners faffing about taking the bag off, getting the bladder out, filling it and then trying to get it back in.....and can't because all their kit has shifted so empty their bag to put the bag in. Some get stressed and then only fill the bladder halfway as their kit is bulging......leaving the zipper open with the bladder hanging out with this internable sloshing sound as they haven't released the air.

Get one/two bottles and put them on a  belt or pouch, you then know exactly how much fluid you have and you can ration as required, hydration packs don't do that without you having to take the bleeding thing off...detest them

The best pack is the one that fits you, we all have different body shapes and they are best if you go into the shop and try it on. Every race I have been too everyone is wearing different kit in various combinations

Sorry for the rant Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !