Ultra Runners

Need a sample 100 schedule (Read 97 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Found a schedule on line for a "ladies  first timers". The long run appears to be a little light. Looking at Bratram  100 early December. Milledgeville,GA

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Found a schedule on line for a "ladies  first timers". The long run appears to be a little light. Looking at Bratram  100 early December. Milledgeville,GA

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp

I know a lot of people use a marathon plan and adapt the weekend runs by making them longer.

If you go to irunfar and look at many of Ian Torrence's columns, he lays out a number of training runs that can be used.  Is this your first 100?  If you are concerned, it may be worth the investment to have someone like Ian write out a schedule for 6 month plan.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
      TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Ron - FWIW I used the Ultra Ladies plan for 24 The Hardway last October.  I did supplement it a bit as

I felt like.  Not the long runs but off days during the week.  I also started the plan quite a few weeks in.

But then I only completed 83 miles in 23.5 hours.

I will use their plan again as a base to work from.

I'd like to give Bartram Trail 100's another go too!

steph  

Ojo

Wow!  I was way off on my training for Ghost Train but I guess whatever I did worked.  I was going to keep the training low key this time as well since I have been struggling with the weather and conditions.  I am hoping my consistency will carry me through the race.

I will rethink some of the plans.  Perhaps I should add another 30 mile run in March.

Sara

MM #2929

I have not run a 100 yet (failed attempt ended at 66 last year) but have decent experience with high mileage schedules and am pretty confident my training would have carried me through if it hadn't been 80 degrees, humid as hell, and I didn't execute my race poorly.  A few observations:

• Personally I think three weeks of 28's, one week easy and then three weeks of 30's all in a row seems excessive.  I like to build up something like 28, 31, 35+ have an easy week then repeat.
            • The plan relies entirely on B2B long runs but you may want to consider replacing a peak week with 40-50 mile run instead of back to back.  Finding a 50 mile race is a good way to get this training run in, just don't taper for it.
            • Unless your course is pancake flat you need to do hill training.  Even with access to some hilly terrain I like to do hill repeats on the treadmill.  Last time I peaked at 8 x.75 miles @9% grade.  On alternate weeks I did hill repeats on a sled hill working on the downhills (quad pounding)
            • Run at least a couple of your really long runs on similar trails if you have access to it
            TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow!  I was way off on my training for Ghost Train but I guess whatever I did worked.  I was going to keep the training low key this time as well since I have been struggling with the weather and conditions.  I am hoping my consistency will carry me through the race.

I will rethink some of the plans.  Perhaps I should add another 30 mile run in March.

Ah, but you did successfully finished your 100 miler!  You're training must have been good.

steph  

Gumby66

Doesn't seem like a bad plan for a first timer. the same milage for 3 weeks in a row is a bit odd.

One thing they don't mention, long night runs are essential. The loop course makes this slightly less essential but you don't want to find out how you react to night running during the race!

long runs on similar terrain are essential too

The plan really doesn't talk about mixing up types of runs

Ojo

I think years of consistent running has helped.  I also add weekend power hikes with the dogs almost as a "double".  I will start them again as soon as the snow melts a little.

Honestly, I know how important training for these races is, but for me, I think the key component was proper fueling and hydration.

My only issue (and mistake) was a blister on my heel at mile 82.  Next time I will take the time to lube my feet every 25 miles or so.

Ah, but you did successfully finished your 100 miler!  You're training must have been good.

Sara

MM #2929

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks everyone. Should have my plan worked out by 3/1/14.

Albany marathon 3/1

Bear Blaster >50K 3/22

Mileage  is low at present(100 a month)

The 4-6 hour butt in seat time will be converted to time on feet.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Uh oh... now what?

Doesn't seem like a bad plan for a first timer. the same mileage for 3 weeks in a row is a bit odd.

One thing they don't mention, long night runs are essential. The loop course makes this slightly less essential but you don't want to find out how you react to night running during the race!

long runs on similar terrain are essential too

The plan really doesn't talk about mixing up types of runs

I prefer hard/hard/medium/easy cycles.

+76.3^³ on the night runs.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I took a hard look at the ultraladies schedule. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. The light schedule will probably work best for me. I do have 40 weeks instead of the 25 weeks in their plan.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

That the one in NH?  Are you planning to do it again? I'm not anywhere near ultra shape yet, but I've been thinking of doing the 15 Mile and volunteering for the ultra.

Ojo

Yes, it is.  I don't think I will be going back this year simply because they changed the date.  It will be held the first weekend of November (when my husband holds his annual beer brew party) -- I think they flip flopped with Stonecat, which will be the last weekend in October.

The 15 mile race is held on Sunday.  It was wonderful having all the "fresh" runners cheering you on as they ran their race.  It really helped me push through the end.  All in all, I loved this race.  It was a good first 100 mile race for many.

That the one in NH?  Are you planning to do it again? I'm not anywhere near ultra shape yet, but I've been thinking of doing the 15 Mile and volunteering for the ultra.

Sara

MM #2929