Ultra Runners

Oil Creek 100 - PA (Read 141 times)

Anyone ever run this race before?  What is the good, bad, etc.?  This will be my first 100 and I may not have a crew, anything I should know from that perspective?

On On

Anyone ever run this race before?  What is the good, bad, etc.?  This will be my first 100 and I may not have a crew, anything I should know from that perspective?

Ran it last year.

Nice 50K loop.  Aid 4 times through out the loop pretty evenly spaced.  Water in between full aid stations.

Terrain was runnable if you are in shape.  Not as many rocks and roots as I am used to here in Northern NJ.

Drop bags at Start Finish and AS2.  You go about 15 miles between these two spots.  Easy enough to drop lights, clothes, etc and pick up other stuff later.  Pack two of everything though in case you drop your headlamp at one location (you start in the dark) but then need it at sunset at the other location.

Organization was fine.  The food that was cooked at the school was very basic but good.  That comment is for the pre race and post race food.  Aid station food is prepared right at the aid stations.

You can sleep in the gym but it is only as quiet as the loudest person.  I slept outside but it was very cold last year (around 25 degrees overnight).

You can use the showers after the race which was nice to get all the trail and salt, sweat off your body to feel half normal after running all day.

I'd recommend it to someone.

Trail Monster

I did the 100k in 2011. You can find the full report on my blog (see signature).

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Thanks for the feedback!  So far I've heard nothing bad about the course, so I am marking my calendar for registration day.  After that I have 7 months to freak out.  Big grin

On On

Thanks for the feedback!  So far I've heard nothing bad about the course, so I am marking my calendar for registration day.  After that I have 7 months to freak out.  Big grin

So you going to sign up this weekend?  I decided on the 100K.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

OC100 will be my first 100-miler, too.

lace_up has a nice RR on it:

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2012/10/oil-creek-100-cold-wet-and-amazing.html

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Banshee, thanks for the RR! I just read it, it was fun!

Here's the link to Banshee's RR, I hope she won't mind me putting it in here: http://www.endorphinmom.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

Sounds like the third loop in the 100M will be a tough one!

Run for fun.

OilCreek100.org

Here is the link to the registration website (and it is also at the top of our race website oc100.org / OilCreek100.org):

http://www.runrace.net/findarace.php?id=13278PA

Good luck to everyone on Saturday getting registered in the race you want.

Tom Jennings, RD

andrew.albright

I'm pretty interested in signing up for the 100 miler but I'm racing on Saturday when registration opens.  Anyone want to guess when the 100 miler will fill up this year?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It filled up within a few weeks last year, and I'd expect it to be open for at least a few days this year before it fills up, but no guarantees on that one!

Run for fun.