Another Sub 40 10k (Read 477 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I managed another sub 40 10k last night in what I feel was the worst organised race I have ever been involved in. Anyway I managed a time of 39:10 but who knows what the correct distance was. I had run this race a few years back and since then it has increased in length by about 400m. The registration was a disaster ( these people hadn't a clue!)and I was put into the male open category rather than the over 40's. It was only a small local festival run but it has been running for quite a few years so you expect some organisation. Anyway the race itself. I took off at a good pace and was determined not to go to hard anfd i felt comfortable. I would assess the pace at the first k marker. Hmm, where was it! No marker! Ah well the second marker! Ah, no second marker! The course was quite hilly but I felt ok and was recovering well on the downhill sections. I new roughly where the 5k mark was so I would have an idea of my pace then, even if there was no marker. The 5k marker appeared, a little before I expected but they had put an extra 400m in at the start. My split was 18:33! No way. I had felt good but this was hilly and in my previous race my 5k split was a nearly minute slower. Either I am a fantastic runner or the marker was way off. I was trying to be realistic but thoughts of me qualifying for the olympics were now creeping in to my head. No 6k marker. My legs where getting a bit heavier but I felt I was still going ok. The guy in front hadnt pulled away any further. I must still be on for a good time I thought. Ah a 7k marker! 26:02! Hey this was going to be a good time. No 8k marker, dig in! I say do myself. I know I had slowed a little. 9K! 34:10! Could I go sub 38:00? It was flat for the last 1k, I was hurting but I felt the pace was ok.Maybe not sub 38 but definitely sub 39! The finish line. I stop my watch and look. 39:10! What! I couldnt believe it. Surely not 5mins for the last K. No chance! I was deflated and tried to tell myself this was a good time on a hillier course than my last race. And it was, but I cant even be sure the race was actually 10k let alone that the markers were right. I am going to drive the course over the weekend to check the length, until then I will reserve judgement on my sucess or failure. By the way I was 6th overall in a poor quality field of about 60. Im nearly sure I was first in the 40-45 category but the organisers decided at 43 I should be in the male open category. Roll on the next race. I hope it is better organised!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

That sounds really aggravating, but a nice job on your part.
      Brandon
      redleaf

Congrats on finishing and sorry it was so crappily organized (I know it's not a word but somehow it seemed more appropriate...)

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

right there with ya, 38:29.