GPS Routes: Making shapes and other oddities (Read 455 times)

Just for fun...

Has anyone here used their GPS so that when they upload their data it creates a certain shape or pattern? If so, what patterns have you made and can you provide a link to the map?

I haven't really done this yet, apart from when I walked in the shape of a heart in my local park with my wife for funzies. ;-)

There is a route that I'm planning to run soon in London, along the Thames, that looks a bit like a boomerang when plotted using the route planner.

One thing I try to do is avoid running along the same piece of road twice in the same run so that when I see it on the map the route is very obvious. If I do have to run back along the same road I use the opposite side and only for the shortest possible distance.

Does anyone else do this or anything else odd/interesting/weird?

:-)

Imminent Catastrophe

Someone on RA, I can't remember who, wrote their name with their GPS route and had it as their avatar for awhile so yes, it's been done.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

My avatar is the from the tail end of this run

My avatar is the from the tail end of this run

I'm impressed that you had the energy to do this after a 21 miler!  Fun.

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.
          xor

We had a similar thread a year or two ago. There were some fun designs in there.  And I think, though I don't recall for sure, this is the thread where perfesser showed a nifty cross-the-country route where he may or may not have averaged 500+ mph

(I promise this isn't a "you really oughta use search first" poke... and, anyway, I tried a few times to find it with search and couldn't)