Shoes For Forefoot Striker Medium/Low Arch (Read 2890 times)

I am searching for advice on the best sneaker for a medium/low arch (I am not flat foot) 5'11 and 195 lbs.  I wear a good cushioned orthotic and do not overpronate excessively but I do strike in the forefoot or balls of the feet.  A few months back I had a professional fitting from a New Balance shop after plenty of failed "Running Store" fittings and "hard stability shoes".  I did have limited success in NB767s but the pain was still there.  I was informed at that time that I am a forefoot striker and that is what was causing my shin splints.  He also said I don't have a flat foot (I do have a large instep and must wear wide in shoes not sneakers for that reason). Finally he said my orthotic provided good cushion and the arch support I needed.  The result was the NB1225ST bc it provided support and more front foot cushioning for my strike.  I have been pain free ever since, however, I find the toe box to be a little large for my taste.  I am about to begin training for a second half marathon and was interested in purchasing a few "other brands" to demo on the treadmill.  Now that I know what I should be looking for.  Does anyone know of a good stability or stability+ shoe that provides good forefoot cushioning and works with orthotics?  I was looking at the Nike (I know it pains me to say it) Zoom Equalon +4.

I'm a mid-foot striker and the Asics Gel-DS Trainer 15 & 16 work well for me. It's heel is lower and has some cushion up front. It's light and fast. I tossed my orthotics but I use to wear them in the 15s and they fit perfectly. 

runwietecha

I have completely flat feet and am mainly a forefoot/midfoot striker.  What you need is a shoe without a lot of heel to toe drop and is pretty flexible. The high heels make it harder for you to run naturally and running in a stiff shoe while striking your forefoot can result in some achilles and calf issues. Give the Saucony Kinvara a try. It's the shoe I use most of the time and works well for me. You could also look at the Nike Free Run.

Thank you both for your help.  It looks like I will be giving the treadmill some demo time.

The sufferer

I've transitioned to midfoot running over the last 6 months and tried a few shoes in the process.

By far the most comfortable shoe I have used is the Brooks Green Silence, it has a wide toe box a low heel-toe drop.  I know many reviewers find the overlapping tongue (or lack of) a bit quirky, but for me it's super comfortable and I never have any trouble lacing them up - I keep them fairly loose anyway. The shoes are light and comfortable, a joy to run in!

Also, prices have dropped so you may pick up a bargain, and they have better green credentials than most other shoes.

Chris.

I've transitioned to midfoot running over the last 6 months and tried a few shoes in the process.

By far the most comfortable shoe I have used is the Brooks Green Silence, it has a wide toe box a low heel-toe drop.  I know many reviewers find the overlapping tongue (or lack of) a bit quirky, but for me it's super comfortable and I never have any trouble lacing them up - I keep them fairly loose anyway. The shoes are light and comfortable, a joy to run in!

Also, prices have dropped so you may pick up a bargain, and they have better green credentials than most other shoes.

Chris.

How's your transition to mid-foot going? I changed in 2009 and it took a few months to get use to the change without thinking too much. Now it's natural. I try to heel strike and it feels weird.

The sufferer

@GoingPostal: Thanks for asking the running is really good now.

I had trouble at first with calf strain, then had some enforced rest last November during which I did lots of research.  I think I've got it worked out now and listen to my body a lot more.  Technique and patience are everything!

I can run every day now, doing more miles and aching much less than I used to.

Chris.

Thank you for the input.  It seems like a lot of mid foot strikers use the minimalist shoes or those designed to emulate barefoot running.  Is there a particular reason for this. 

Marylander

Thank you for the input.  It seems like a lot of mid foot strikers use the minimalist shoes or those designed to emulate barefoot running.  Is there a particular reason for this. 

I think it's largely because you don't really need all the cushioning and motion control.

Matt_B

I think it's largely because you don't really need all the cushioning and motion control.

Also the lower offset of minimal shoes makes it easier to forefoot strike. Most trainers have a heel about 10-14mm higher than the forefoot. All that extra bulk in the back of the shoe gets in the way when trying to land forefoot. You have to flex your foot forward more in conventional trainers in order to land forefoot.  Imagine running in high-heels or boots and trying not to land heel first. Same idea, just not as extreme.

sincerely silly

Only tangentally related sorry -- I don't know what kind of runner I am.  I hear I should go get one of those mentioned "Running Store" fittings if I get serious about the hobby to see what suits my natural form.  Is there any way to learn to assess this yourself or is it not worth it?  And even once you learn what the terms mean, are there good resources online to look up good shoes for them?  I want a magic calculator! :-)  Like those "which dog breed is best for you?" quizzes.

I think there's a shop that looks trustworthy nearby...I guess I'm just paranoid about getting pressured to buy something, or just getting the wrong info.  My shoes have always worn out in weird ways partly because my legs are a little knock-kneed.

shin splints are my nemesis