Would this piss you off? Runner literally pushing another runner to the finish - I'll explain (Read 1129 times)

Hey TK421 ---- Im not much of a tatoo guy, but I have to admit that I like yours...thats original...... JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I agree with Mikey that it's mostly just weird. And I can't imagine that it really improved her time much anyway. Someone physically pushing my back near the end of a race would probably slow me down...and pull back a bloody stump.
      It definitely makes a difference. My husband and I do this to each other when one of us is having a hard time during a run. I would consider it inappropriate and cheating to do during a race.
      JakeKnight

I try not to get pissed off at the stupidity of other people in general and runners in particular. No reason to get pissed off at this dummy. Unless, of course, she happens to take an age group award. Especially if its your group. But then you get the sublime pleasure of getting her (and her goofy husband) DQ'd. So actually, you should be pleased and grateful for the delightful opportunity for free karmic entertainment.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That would definitely piss me off, regardless of the size of the race or what place it was for.
          TK421, why aren't you at your post?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I was pissed the day that my daughter was racing a mile long race and another girl her age was drug and carried along to place in her age group. This in turn kept my daughter from getting a trophy. It is down right pathetic and allows people to rely on others. If you do your kids homework you can pass the test but they can not. Yes it would make me mad. A non sanctioned race is where we slow people are able to reap some of the benefits.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Hey TK421 ---- Im not much of a tatoo guy, but I have to admit that I like yours...thats original...... JohnA
              Thanks!
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am not very competitive but that would piss me off. The size of the race would not matter.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I once saw a guy at a small-ish local race being pulled by a very large dog. He had a bungee leash around his waist and was definitely getting assistance, as the dog was straining at it. Don't know what distance it was for (it was a 5/10/HM/M all-in-one). Everybody thought it was funny, more than anything else. I always wondered whether it mattered to the officials or other people in his class (unless he was voluntarily removing himself from ranking, or something) since it was a certified race. I think physical assistance like that would matter to/piss off someone trying to to gauge themselves by percentile within age group, even if they are not at the "competitive" and of the class..

I once saw a guy at a small-ish local race being pulled by a very large dog. He had a bungee leash around his waist and was definitely getting assistance, as the dog was straining at it. Don't know what distance it was for (it was a 5/10/HM/M all-in-one). Everybody thought it was funny, more than anything else. I always wondered whether it mattered to the officials or other people in his class (unless he was voluntarily removing himself from ranking, or something) since it was a certified race. I think physical assistance like that would matter to/piss off someone trying to to gauge themselves by percentile within age group, even if they are not at the "competitive" and of the class..
                    It's called canicross and there's a seperate sport for it. You should see some of the times posted by those guys - if you didn't know there was a dog pulling them you'd think they were world class. A well trained dog can really pull a few minutes off your race time.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

JimR

I'm more surprised that someone would let someone else push them, although things can get pretty foggy near the end of a race. It would piss me off to have it done to me, since my finish time is now questionable.

Right on Hereford...

Different sport, but last year I was doing the Teva Mountain Games time trial (cycling hill climb up Vail Pass in Colorado). As I neared the finish, in a world of pain, I suddenly felt it get easier as I received a push from someone behind me. I said something like, "No, it's ok...I've got it," because I didn't want the help. The funny thing is, the guy who pushed me was none other than Tour de France commentator Bob Roll. He was a fellow competitor who had caught me, and this guy can still ride! To address the OP, if I were you, I'd ask them nicely after the next race if they realize they are cheating.

A Saucy Wench

It would annoy me if it happened in my points series races...which are small and unsanctioned, but I want my AG points!!! Plus the next one has a really really cool medal for top 3 in AG...I want one. Overall though, it strikes me as really pathetic.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dog-Love

That's just wacky. If I did that to my wife she would turn around and knee me in the nuts. Is this a pre-planned race strategy of theirs or he just comes back and finds her to encourage her at the finish and gets carried away with his "support".
                            Crack me up! I like your wife already!
                            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Yea this is an interesting question. I typically run with my kids in a jogging stroller(It weighs about 110 lbs now) and for some reason everyone feels the need to run up behind me and push my back as they pass me going uphill. I never ask them to do it and it is extremely dangerous. In fact I always ask them to stop doing that because it is dangerous. Not to mention that “technically” it now disqualifies me from the race. I guess technically the stroller disqualifies me also, doesn’t it? Anyway, I personally believe getting aid from another person is grounds for disqualification but I don’t think I would say anything about it if I saw someone getting help. I usually just go out there to compete against myself. If I push myself to my limit then I feel like I have accomplished something. Heck, if I was that concerned about winning I wouldn’t ever run with the stroller. However, my PR is still with the stroller because that is what motivates me. Bottom line: If the girl’s cheating pisses you off then use that as motivation to beat her! Then you will know that you are stronger than her even if she cheats.
                              Spingoddess

No, it wouldn't piss me off, but it is really weird. Shocked
                                If we work hard at something we are passionate about, we might be rewarded with a few thrilling moments of perfection. John Bingham