Cherry Blossom 10 miler 2016 (Read 248 times)

I look my best blurry!

Or lolligag at 7:40 with me!

Meb's running!  Hopefully, he decides to hobby jog it at about 7:20 pace.  Smile

Julia1971

Or lolligag at 7:40 with me!

I'm okay with that.  I think I'm going to try to stalk meet him at one of the events mentioned in the press release.  Smile

runlikeagirI

I'd like the forecast of 20-30mph winds with gusts up to 40mph to go away, please.

Julia1971

I'd like the forecast of 20-30mph winds with gusts up to 40mph to go away, please.

I saw that.  How are they trying to predict wind 5 days from now? 

Here are some tips:
          • Watch for uneven pavement on Memorial Bridge and around the Kennedy Center.  Heck, actually, the road is pretty ripped up everywhere.  Particularly if you're running on the shoulders.

So, I should have heeded my own advice.  It wasn't road but, this weekend, I tripped on a piece of sidewalk on my way out of Hains Point.  My knee is pretty swollen but I'll live.  It was an overcast day but here's what the blossoms looked like during peak bloom:

Cherry Blossoms

I look my best blurry!

Damn wind is following me from the Ocean Drive Marathon I ran a week and a half ago!  20-35mph constant headwind.  My goodness.  At least it is a mere 10 miles!

Julia1971

Apparently, Meb'll be running 6:00 pace.  That's a little faster than I think I can do.  Smile

I look my best blurry!

Oh c'mon!!!  Sure you can!  Maybe for the first mile or so!

Julia1971

Oh c'mon!!!  Sure you can!  Maybe for the first mile or so!

LOL!  You're funny.  Smile

All the poor hamstrings that are going to get pulled on Sunday trying to keep up with Meb...

kilkee

runktrun

LOL!  You're funny.  Smile

All the poor hamstrings that are going to get pulled on Sunday trying to keep up with Meb...

...and running into the wind...

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Julia1971

...and running into the wind...

If it's coming out of the NW as it usually does, those last few miles are going to be brutal.  (Thanks, Canada!)

Julia1971

Okay, so maybe they CAN predict wind 5 days out.    In case you haven't seen the announcement - 50 mph gusts, so they're eliminating down anything that'll blow away.  Including the kids' race.  Wink

Should be an interesting race...

onefatchick

Good luck to you all tomorrow!  And try to have fun?? sounds like it will be downright brutal. You all are so awesome to tackle that!  I'm such a wuss when it comes to running under much milder conditions, I'd probably cancel out, money be damned, can't wait to read some interesting race reports!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Okay, so maybe they CAN predict wind 5 days out.    In case you haven't seen the announcement - 50 mph gusts, so they're eliminating down anything that'll blow away.  Including the kids' race.  Wink

Should be an interesting race...

Yea. Unfortunately the same winds are expected in Atlantic City, they predicted it well over a week in advance. Curious if they'll do the same here with anything that can blow away.

Julia1971

Well, that was less than pleasant.  Here were the conditions:

I'll do a race report in a few days after pictures are posted just in case there are some good ones of me.  Smile

I thought the worst of it was before and after the race.  During the race, I just slowed down every time I ran north or west and it wasn't too bad.  I finished in 1:13:25 (7:21 pace).  Considering my recent knee injury and the conditions, I'm very pleased with that.

Hope everyone who ran today is somewhere warm and comfortable!

I ran today, too!

Despite the cold wind I still enjoyed myself, just remembered to relax and speed up whenever I saw the sun in the East.

It's too bad the blossoms were mostly blown away; this was my first time running, so I am not sure what it looks like most years. Luckily I  am local so I had a chance to enjoy the blossoms in March. Even without the blossoms the Cherry Blossom course was still very scenic!

I finished around 1:21, which was a surprise new 10 miler PR for me over the Army 10 miler last Fall despite the winds and crowds. Next goal is break 1:20!