Shoes and Mileage (Read 1523 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

I wear mine to 700, have worn pairs over 1000, and they've never fallen apart.  I would agree that if they are falling apart you are wearing them too long but you really have to have bad form to rip apart a pair of modern running shoes in 700 miles or less.

Hmm, interesting idea. I usually go to about 500-600, and then switch to a new pair (Asics gel 2140). But I do find that the top stitching is often breaking by that point, and there is sometimes some tearing of the top, as well. You think my form is bad? (But I don't have any injuries, even though running close to 70 miles per week, these days.)

Get Lost :)

I had one pair of shoes last 582 miles before the upper was almost completely detached from the sole. I really loved those shoes - New Balance 505 XC shoes, 227 grams. I was told they'd last 250 miles, and I was told that I shouldn't run my long runs in them. It probably wasn't my bad form that ripped these guys apart.

I had one pair of shoes last 139 miles. They were NB790s, and after a particularly muddy 50 mile trail race, they were totally trashed and unsalvageable*.

My winter running shoes, Brooks Adrenaline ASR5, have 1350 miles and are still in good shape.  The outside corner of the heels get Shoe Goo.

My old pair of Brooks Addiction summer shoes has 1200 miles.  They feel the same as my new pair of the same model, so I'll keep using them.  The outside corners of the heels get lots of Shoe Goo. 

Teed

I don't know how most of you do the long miles on one pair. I hit 500 on my last pair (Brooks Launch), and they were DONE! I'm a neutral runner and weigh 171, so I am not destroying shoes out there. The transition to my new pair (also the Launch), was wonderful and much needed. Maybe I am just used to some cushioning. 

My rule is 350 to 500 miles. 300 is too little, but not by much. 500 is generally too much, but also, not by much.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I go by how my left foot/ankle are feeling, since they seem so injury prone (shin splints, stress fracture, etc.).  I'm a smaller woman, but I air on the side of caution and usually replace around 300 miles.

As a former running store employee, I would tell people to evaluate their running every 100 miles.

If something hurts now that didn't hurt before, and you've done nothing different (ran more, ran harder, ran on different surfaces, etc), then your shoes are probably gone or going.

My boss would get annoyed when I told people this, because he wanted people to buy new shoes at 300 miles, of course (although he would never push people into this, he would just mention it).

I was, by the way, always able to make it over 500 miles on my Wave Rider's.  But, then again, I weighed 150 lbs.

Now...different story.  I can't even wear Wave Riders anymore because I'm over 200 lbs.  Not enough support.

Jeff