Warm socks (Read 574 times)

TTime0207

The Captain

Does anybody know of some good socks to get that keep your feet warm during the winter that would be good for running?

Fortior fi quam heri eras!

an amazing likeness

Personally, for the most part I use the same socks year round.  For some days I do make concessions:  on days with heavier snow, I wear taller socks...and on really cold days I move to heavier Smartwool socks.

http://www.wrightsock.com/ makes a lot of heavier socks and may be an option for you.  Lots of folks here will recommend Smartwool as well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Julia1971

How cold are you talking?

It only gets low 30s where I am but I do get cold very easily.  Anyway, I pretty much wear Balega socks year round.  I mostly wear the ones that say "Moving Comfort" on the top, (from their website, I think they might be the Hidden Comfort model).  I feel like they're thick enough to provide some warmth/cushioning, but not so much so that they're hot in the summer.  I also have a couple pairs of their thicker socks (sorry, not sure how to describe them, but from their website, I think it might be the Enduro sock) that come up to the ankle, so I'll wear them on colder days.  I'm sure that extra 2" makes a real difference.  LOL!

I also have a couple pairs of Thorlos, but I hardly ever wear them.  They're a bit too thick for my liking.

Edited because spelling counts.  Wink  And, to add a link to the website.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wear Smartwool year-round, I just wear somewhat heavier ones in the Winter.  Some days I think my feet are the only part of me that doesn't end up cold.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

Some days I think my feet are the only part of me that doesn't end up cold.

Me, too.  It's weird.  I pretty much have to run double-gloved for most of the winter, but my feet never really get that cold.  I don't get it.

protoplasm72

I wear the same socks in -15 F as I do in 90 F.  As long as they don't get wet my feet are always fine.  If they do get wet, I just think happy thoughts until the run is over and then soak them in hot water Shocked.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

spinach

I don't think that the socks make all that much of a difference, the shoes do not the socks.  I can tell when I wear open mesh shoes on bitterly cold days, my feet get cold regardless of the socks i have on.  But in winter I try to wear a bit more substantive shoes, or at least shoes that aren't open mesh and my feet generally feel okay.  I don't wear the low cut socks I wear in summer during the winter when it is down near zero up here., my ankles will get cold. But that is the only change I make in winter for my socks. 

drrbradford

If you're getting cold feet because they're wet then have a look at Sealskinz. They're nice to have for those days when you don't want to (but have to) put on wet shoes or if you're going on a longer run and want to wimp-out and keep your tootsies dry. They're relatively thick too: I wore mine under my cycling shoes to cycle to work today and only had to deal with numb fingertips (ground was frosty, temp not quite freezing).

Oh roo roooo!

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/discount.html?pcode=RW40PLUSD

This is a discount code for Running Warehouse that will get you 15% off on most stuff, even most sale stuff.  If you go to "Sale Accessories", you'll see socks on a pretty good sale.  I had gotten a couple pairs of Asics Ecoline Elements quarters (wool blend) for winter for like $8 a pair w/the discount.  I see they only have size small left in those, but there might be other good deals there on some warmer/heavier socks for winter.