2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Again, I think everyone is failing to take into account the spectators. I think that’s actually one of the bigger concerns for a race like Boston. 500,000 people come and watch the race, and they’re in much tighter quarters than anyone who is actually running the race. That’s why Boston is likely to be cancelled, while smaller races may be run.

I'm being pedantic, but....I did take the spectators into account - that was what I was referring to with "large crowds" Smile

I agree that events that bring out masses of spectators are more likely to be cancelled.

I also think that cancellation will almost always be a decision made by local government, and not by race management.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm being pedantic, but....I did take the spectators into account - that was what I was referring to with "large crowds" Smile

Ha I had a feeling you would respond with that! Should have clarified. But yeah, I just wanted to emphasize it more for others who think it's not a big deal for runners, which I probably agree with. Also with smaller races: you have to remember race directors will panic, because other people will be panicking. I was on the NYRR social media feeds just to see what's going on with the NYC Half and everyone is begging them to cancel. Not really sure why though: NYRR already allows you to defer to next year regardless of the virus, so if you're uncomfortable, just defer. I guess they think NYRR will cancel and refund their money, which is NOT going to happen.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - saw you ran with your sub 2:30 friend the other day!

JMAC - LOL, Yes, He is in amazing shape. He ran a 3:13 in the 50K came through the marathon in a 2 min PR .

He was honest he called it a PR. His goal is to run 2:35 flat and 2:25 downhill this year.

Cyberic - Vacation is over back to the grind. I don't think I always need hundred mile weeks my goal is 85 miles weekly average per year So sometime 100 sometimes 65 and I pray it averages out. Only get up to 100s in a marathon cycle.

Morning Musings -This morning I did 6x 2Ks. I spend my mornings and evenings helping pace my amazing runners through workouts to hit their personal goals. So this morning my group on my last one ran the entire thing with me running 200m segments like a touch relay. I was able to run the last 2k in 6:25 @ 5:10 per mile that's 7.5 miles at 5:20 avg pace in the workout portion. My fastest 2k was 6:36 last year and I hit a 6:33 a month ago. The 50K was a meltdown but today's workout made me feel like a phoenix rising from ashes of the Wardian baptismal fire.

We have been going over our workouts and noticed when you're alone doing these workouts and think you're all out. You're really not. You're about 85%. Seems like 85% is our brains Rev limiter. Having someone to push you makes you realize you have more potential than you give yourself credit for. So no matter how hard the thing is, we can always dig deeper because we're never really all out.

Boston and London goes on. I got two emails from London yesterday, seems like they're going ahead as planned. As JMAC  DW said the Gov't may intervene but they're  (race) moving forward.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

pepperjack

pie man

Well, LA just happened with 25,000 entrants in the state with quite a few confirmed cases.  So the other races are probably watching how that turns out?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

DavePNW

I agree that events that bring out masses of spectators are more likely to be cancelled.

I also think that cancellation will almost always be a decision made by local government, and not by race management.

Well there have been a couple half marathons cancelled around here already, but of course I am in ground zero. Also to your point - for one last Saturday, cancellation was announced late Thursday; not based on race management decision, but on the local agencies pulling their permits.

Dave

weatherboy80

Quick check in.  Curious what Boston officials will decide but my feelings are about 50/50 on a cancellation or modification to the field.  I am looking forward to attending this year just to run it more for fun, but certainly glad I got my A goal race in back in January before everyone lost their minds.  I also signed up for my hometown (Buffalo, NY) half marathon as a way to sort of redeem myself after what happened to me last week in my HM.  Buffalo is a much smaller event, but imagine that one will also be in jeopardy at some point.  Certainly not downplaying the virus at all due to many of the unknowns, but this is eventually gonna be circulating in the normal day to day public space, if not already, so I wonder how long this will go on?  When will the peak be?  Are we gonna live like this for months?  Can't fathom the amount of damage that is already taking place to the travel and tourism space.

As for my running, decently recovered from my 13.5 PR effort last week!  Still can feel some fatigue Wink  Ran a total of 77 miles (mostly very EZ) last week but did have a very solid LR of 17 miles with 12 of those miles sub 7 and with some pretty hard hill repeats on Saturday.  Also looking to race a 5K in about 10 days so might dust of the flats and hit the track tomorrow for a workout to see what might be possible.  Have to imagine I can likely squeak out a 5K PR since I haven't raced one since last summer.  Only downside is the heat is almost back here, yet again.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Well, LA just happened with 25,000 entrants in the state with quite a few confirmed cases.  So the other races are probably watching how that turns out?

No one on the East Coast East or North of California cares how California does it. It's like comparing CIM to Boston. CIM is easier and Boston probably has more spectators so it's obviously a bigger problem for the country's oldest marathon. Maybe they should cancel it at this point just to end the conversation and then have their social media blow up with 'HOW DARE YOU CANCEL MY RACE. I'VE TRAINED ALL WINTER." comments.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

We have been going over our workouts and noticed when you're alone doing these workouts and think you're all out. You're really not. You're about 85%. Seems like 85% is our brains Rev limiter. Having someone to push you makes you realize you have more potential than you give yourself credit for. So no matter how hard the thing is, we can always dig deeper because we're never really all out.

Nimmals - Cursing you out mentally during my 6 x 1 Mile repeats at lunch today "&^%$# Nimmals says I'm slacking .....why am I sucking wind!"  LOL

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

For East Coasters this has been one of the mildest winter training cycles ever. Still won't make it less painful.

I hope the show goes on. The issue with cancellations is that a huge majority of people who planned for 2021 might not get accepted.

My plan was Tokyo 2021 but with all 2020 runners displaced no way anyone can get in next year.  A dream deferred.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Nimmals - Cursing you out mentally during my 6 x 1 Mile repeats at lunch today "&^%$# Nimmals says I'm slacking .....why am I sucking wind!"  LOL

Here is to hoping it worked. Next week do the same workout and watch the progression on same effort, providing conditions are the same.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think that the concern over Covid 19 is going to peak over the next 2-3 weeks; races in early to mid April may be at less risk than those in March.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DoppleBock

It might depend on where you live ... In WI we are always late adopters of an USA trends.  We have had 2 confirmed cases ...

Although most companies have cancelled any travel that is not mission critical.  But that is just as much due to reducing S&A to boost EBIT ot EBITDA as with the Covid 19.

We are more in monitoring mode and developing contingency plans ... other than travel bans.

I think that the concern over Covid 19 is going to peak over the next 2-3 weeks; races in early to mid April may be at less risk than those in March.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

pepperjack

pie man

No one on the East Coast East or North of California cares how California does it. It's like comparing CIM to Boston. CIM is easier and Boston probably has more spectators so it's obviously a bigger problem for the country's oldest marathon. Maybe they should cancel it at this point just to end the conversation and then have their social media blow up with 'HOW DARE YOU CANCEL MY RACE. I'VE TRAINED ALL WINTER." comments.

I'd think LA has about as many spectators as Boston.  It's 100% through the city where Boston is quite a bit out in the rural areas with crowds popping up in the early towns and then big spaces.  Boston's crowds are way drunker, though.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

NYC Half just got cancelled. Figuring out my options here. But add that to the data points.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DavePNW

I hope you’re right even though I have no idea what it’s based on. Just keeping my fingers crossed for May 3rd.

Dave