Looking for recommendations for Gel Flasks (Read 573 times)

Anyone have any recommendations for roughly a 4 to 6 oz hand-held gel flask? Something that fits nicely in the palm and is easy to drink from? Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Hammer flasks, but am not sure what else others might have used. 

I experimented over the weekend with putting 2 gels in a flask along with an equal amount of water. Since they were somewhat diluted,I found it a lot easier to get the gels down, and in less time during my run.   But, the flask I used isn't formed right to run a long distance with.  

xor

All the ones I've tried have been about the same, but I will say that I like the hammer ones the least.  If you get one, you might as well take the little clear plastic dealie which snaps over the valve and throw it in the trash. It doesn't fit tightly and you will lose it anyway.

My fuel belt version is more solid.

The challenge with all of these is cleaning the bastards out.

RayN

I've used Hammer/fuel Belt/Ultimate versions.  They all seem about the same.  Nathans is different and better.  It flows full thickness gels much better.  Although I've never hand carried it on a run I see they do have a hand strap for it.

I've used Hammer/fuel Belt/Ultimate versions.  They all seem about the same.  Nathans is different and better.  It flows full thickness gels much better.  Although I've never hand carried it on a run I see they do have a hand strap for it.

I plan on diluting the gels a little so they flow better, and so I can get them down easier in a race situation. Today, I bought the 5 oz nathan flask  that comes with clip for the shorts. 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I plan on diluting the gels a little so they flow better, and so I can get them down easier in a race situation. Today, I bought the 5 oz nathan flask  that comes with clip for the shorts. 

+1

I used to do this.  Worked well.  After much trial and error, I found that PowerBarGel is the best for diluting and drinking from a flask.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

You Are Beautiful.

How much gel are you drinking during your long run? The whole 4-6 oz?

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
              Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

How much gel are you drinking during your long run? The whole 4-6 oz?

If you're asking me, this was for the actual marathon/race, not a typical training run.  Yes, during the course of the marathon, I consumed 4 gels that were slightly diluted.  Didn't help one bit though :-(