Using Baking Soda to train through Lactic Acid burn? (Read 1774 times)

I had a massage therapist who said that his track buddies would take a shot of apple cider vinegar before races/speed days and this was the secret to good racing.
    With your body's desire to stay in a relative PH balance, would taking apple cider vinegar somehow inhibit your body from accumulating extra hydrogen ions? (again, there is probably another obvious answer to this)

Menace to Sobriety

This thread is evidence that runners will try the craziest crap in the pursuit of getting faster. My heart is warmed.
      Still, this seems much more tame than giving up one testicle.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Why is it sideways?

Still, this seems much more tame than giving up one testicle.
        Good point. Although, I have found some success working on my mid-run boner.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With your body's desire to stay in a relative PH balance, would taking apple cider vinegar somehow inhibit your body from generating lactic acid? (again, there is probably another obvious answer to this)
          No. You will just pee out the excess acetic acid (from the vinegar) fairly quickly.
            No. You will just pee out the excess acetic acid (from the vinegar) fairly quickly.
            What if youre dehydrated?
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What if youre dehydrated?
              Then you will die. Big grin You continue to make urine even when dehydrated. When severely dehydrated, your kidneys may shut down. Then you have bigger problems...
              JimR

Excellent point as well.
                Why, thank you. I try to be both logical and lateral while maintaining a stiff upper lip.
                  Why, thank you. I try to be both logical and lateral while maintaining a stiff upper lip.
                  Frostbite?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I hate to open up this can of worms, but lactic acid doesn't cause the burn. That's a myth.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

xor

I've always wondered about that expression. I can open a can of sardines, no problem. But where does one find these canned worms??

Why is it sideways?

But where does one find these canned worms??
                        Right next to the can of whup-ass. Across from the canned peas.
                          I hate to open up this can of worms, but lactic acid doesn't cause the burn. That's a myth.
                          I used the term lactic acid (lactate) for simplicity. I believe that it is the excess buildup of hydrogen ions that causes the burn. Lactate is generated by the muscles and used as a fuel. The actual physiology is complicated, and I don't quite understand it very well myself. Lactate Shuttle theory and all.. That wasn't the purpose of why I asked about this baking soda myth. The real question should be, does consuming a Base improve the lactate system? Or something along those lines.
                            I've always wondered about that expression. I can open a can of sardines, no problem. But where does one find these canned worms??
                            The internet ofcourse, are you new?

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

JimR

IThe actual physiology is complicated, and I don't quite understand it very well myself.
                              I have a great link on this, on the office computer though and not here. Basically LA isn't directly usable by the body, it needs to be oxidized to pyruvate first. ATP produced via anaerobic glycolysis (sp) is done without oxygen, but it takes oxygen to converte the lactate back to usable fuel. Paradoxally, it takes about twice the oxygen to produce the same amount of ATP anaerobically than aerobically. Which is why you're better off building those aerobic slow twitchers which produce cheap energy. Without oxygen, your muscles could produce energy for about 90 seconds, so you have 90 seconds worth for 'free' and anything else you tax beyond your aerobic capacity comes at the cost of extra oxygen.
                                Is lactic acid similar to ammonia that accumulates after a hard run? I used to run a lot and my legs would be so sore that I could barely walk. I found that watermelon after the run seemed to reduce the fatigue and allow me to recover much faster. Anyway I looked up why and it seems like it might be "citrulline" in the watermelon. I would take 1-2 mini watermelons about 30 mins - 1 hour after the run. Hope this helps. It made the difference of being fresh for my run the next day. It won't make you faster but it can help you recover faster and train more.
                                And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus