Night Light (Read 759 times)

So there is a bewildering array of head lights out there, all are better than the other for some reason, brighter, lighter, longer battery life, etc. Anyone having tried several that can recommend one, or two even?
    VandyMontana

So there is a bewildering array of head lights out there, all are better than the other for some reason, brighter, lighter, longer battery life, etc. Anyone having tried several that can recommend one, or two even?

bumpity bump

I was wondering same thing as I am getting prepared for the fall/winter in Montana, where instead of the sun setting at 9:45 like it does now, it will set at 4:00.

http://running-with-wine.blogspot.com/

The shirtless wonder

I own the Petzel Tika Plus.  I find it to be very comfortable, bright, and have good battery life.  I bought it based on recommendations from other runners. 
          I've had good luck with my Princeton Tec headlamp.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How do any of these headlamps do in the cold?  I did a run last Winter after dark...it was fun, but my headlamp kept going out when the battery got too cold.  Eventually I decided to just deal with not seeing where I was going, heh.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I use a Petzel 5 LED headlamp and a hand light.  The headlamp is light, batteries last 12+hrs and covers a fair distance in front of you, although it throws a flat light.  I use the handlamp by exception when a spot/focused beam is needed.  The headlamp should cost from $19-$30 and will last years if taken care of.
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I cut the strap so it fits over  two fingers.

Streamlight Trident Light W/ Rubber & Elastic Strap - STR61050

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sulli42

I own the Petzel Tika Plus.  I find it to be very comfortable, bright, and have good battery life.  I bought it based on recommendations from other runners. 

+1

Get Lost :)

I have the Petzl Zipka, the Tika's younger sibling. I like that it is very light. I recently used it with zero issues on a long run that included about 9 hours of night running. I like to couple it with a handheld flashlight in order to have not only more light but light that can be pointed at different things, so the fact that it is not super bright is not an issue for me.

You'll ruin your knees!

This in my hand 

This on my head

I do a lot of night running and I hate worrying about battery life.  I have not seen cold weather have a significant impact (but admittedly, don't do a lot of Michigan-like winter weather), and if it did, the battery life should still be more than adequate.  I typically only change out batteries when I know I have an all-nighter during a race and I can't be certain when I last changed them... 

These lights are pretty bullet-proof.

Lynn B

Brighter isn't necessarily better, as bright light can really add to eye strain.  I like these partially because they put out a wide area of light that helps with the peripheral stuff and helps prevent the tunnel vision that can accompany staring at a white spot of light for hours on end.  By the way, I use these on the trail, almost never on the road.  I tend to stray from the norm running on the roads and I prefer that drivers NOT see me at night. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The shirtless wonder

All of my running with the head light was in cold weather (at least a few times below 20 F).  It operated fine in that temp.  The batteries held up fine.  The batteries last a very long time.
                        Dunottar

Ditto for Petzl, though I use the Tikka XP. You pay about $15 more than the 'Plus' for bells and whistles, the only truly useful one being the battery indicator (the 'Plus' may have one too,...not sure.) I wear it once or twice a week, year 'round, and never had a problem in the cold (temps down to single digits).

It has a 'flashing' mode that I use mostly at dawn when I can see the road, but still want to BE seen by drivers. With flashing arm and wrist straps, I look like super-dork, which is exactly what I want.   

As LynnB said, a 'spot/diffuse' option is essential, IMO.

My wife got me the Petzl Tikka XP for Xmas last year.  I ran with it several times in cold weather (10-20 degrees) and never had a problem with the batteries.  It did a great job of lighting up the path in front of me.

Funny story about purchasing this.  She first went to a general sporting goods store and asked if they sold headlights.  "For a bike?"  "No, for your head."  "Uhh... no."  Then she went to the local running store and they knew exactly what she wanted and had several to choose from.  Score one for the running shop.

just purchased a princeton tec at rei, which is pretty much identical to the petzel & $5 less.  bought first for backpacking then thought, hey could use for running too!!   these headlamps are supposed to be waterproof right?