The Logic of Long Distance Blog (Read 105 times)

http://www.logicoflongdistance.com/?fbclid=IwAR2MCsriLnzRPSRjaj-z8AEkw8kuNUZ8lnLloURmn6vnHaE8jTcv24Yjw7s

I'm sure many here have already read it but someone referenced it in a thread a while back and I've since had a chance to read quite a bit of it.  It's really a great blog and speaks to some of the feelings I've had about running in a very articulate way.  The closest thing I've come across was George Sheehan's book "Running and Being" which was also excellent.

For instance:

"Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? Though we have no wings, we have taught ourselves to fly.

We runners say that we run for health…and it is true that we do. But this means that we also run out of sickness. We run to stave off mental and physical demons. We run from the specter of the decrepit or obese body. We run from a society intent upon making all acts of pleasure into sellable commodities. We run from the duties and responsibilities imposed upon us. Running is a respite from darker neuroses and emergent insanities."

Those words really resonated with me.  I started at the beginning of the blog so I don't yet know why he stopped it in 2017 and apparently gave up running.  That surprised me given the passion that was expressed in so many posts.  

For any that haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

bblack

I also like to run

mikeymike

Yeah Jeff (the author) is an RA OG and a friend of a bunch of us. Good stuff--I'm sure he's happy to know the blog is still being read by new runners.

mta: and by the way Jeff didn't give up running.

Runners run