On running surfaces... (Read 558 times)

I have decided I will take smooth even concrete over rough and uneven asphalt. I will take smooth even asphalt over and a rough uneven off road surface. Am I alone in this?
      I have decided I will take smooth even concrete over rough and uneven asphalt. I will take smooth even asphalt over and a rough uneven off road surface. Am I alone in this?
      I have run primarily on asphalt roads.... when on a business trip I ran a week on concrete sidewalks and roads. I never believed the bs about concrete being harder than asphalt blah blah... but after a week on the concrete I am now a believer! The unevenness is ok if it is evenly distributed... like a trail.. but consistently running on an off camber road I don't like... at all... I try to move around a bit so that each legs gets their turn to be on the downhill side... I also try to run in the space the car wheels sit as often as I can because that area tends to be level...

Jazz hands!

No. I ran 4 miles on a uneven-ish dirt path last Monday, and I heard about it from my knees until Friday.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          okay so I am not alone... I suppose if I ran alot off road and strengthened my legs perhaps trails would be easier on me. But the way it is, if my footing is insecure I feel the pounding a lot worse on my joints.
            I love the trails even if they're all rocky and rooty. Much easier recovery the day after. Trails are much more forgiving. Sidewalks here in Atlanta are impossible to run on...if you can find them. They are very uneven especially with all the huge tree roots growing underneath.
              yea sidewalk trips can be brutal! you sure do feel those next day even if you didn't hit the ground.
                I'm 99% on trails, maybe using roads if the trails are icy. I'll mix up the trails varying among relatively flat, smooth, and straight to hilly, rough, and twisty or various combinations. I've found if I run twisty trails with mild root issues then I have less need to stretch or do some strength training since it's taken care of while I run.
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  I avoid any tilt on sidewalks or tilt due to road camber. Assuming there is no tilt, I'd take trail over asphalt and asphalt over concrete. Rough uneven works out the lower legs and is good but you have to gradually adapt to it if you're used to smooth surfaces.
                  theyapper

On the road again...

Nothing scientific for me, probably just more mental than anything else, but I prefer roads without cars.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

okay so I am not alone... I suppose if I ran alot off road and strengthened my legs perhaps trails would be easier on me. But the way it is, if my footing is insecure I feel the pounding a lot worse on my joints.
                      I totally agree. Recently I was running in a nice, soft asphalt bike lane of a major road, but the surface was crowned and my peroneal tendon started bothering me. I jumped onto the level, hard sidewalk and the pain disappeared. Of course, I'll take a level asphalt or dirt trail any day if it's available.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...