shoe advice - please! (Read 870 times)

hairshirt knitter

Well, I did it. One of the bonuses of self-employment! The guy at the Running Room in Halifax was experienced and knowledgeable, and I had been on the right lines with the Saucony MC5 last time - big motion control shoes for me. It came down to Saucony CS or Asics Foundation and I went for the Asics. Lots of room in the forefoot, but I'm a little concerned that I am feeling them in the arch now that I'm home! Thanks for the feedback folks...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*threadjack* Have you checked out Joe's New Balance Outlet online yet? You may be able to pick up some older models with the last you like. They carry models that are years old and it is always a bonus because they are cheaper. Big grin
      Yep, I grabbed 4 pair or the last update of my favorite shoe (which I can no longer find in my size anywhere) before the last was changed. I plan to reserve these for my longest runs and races. I can deal with shoes that don't fit as well for shorter stuff, since blisters don't seem to be an issue 'til I run more than 10 miles or so. They were still $77/pair...ow.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, I did it. One of the bonuses of self-employment! The guy at the Running Room in Halifax was experienced and knowledgeable, and I had been on the right lines with the Saucony MC5 last time - big motion control shoes for me. It came down to Saucony CS or Asics Foundation and I went for the Asics. Lots of room in the forefoot, but I'm a little concerned that I am feeling them in the arch now that I'm home! Thanks for the feedback folks...
        Good news! Hopefully the arch won't bother you...sometimes it takes some getting used to slightly different fits in different shoes. BTW, my hubby and I honeymooned in NS. I cannot imagine a more beautiful place to run. I would someday like to do a destination marathon there. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

hairshirt knitter

We moved to NS from the islands of Scotland a couple of years back and live quite close to Kejimkujik National Park. Out in the sticks, but some great running! I'm still finding my local routes and what events there are in the province. Check www.runnovascotia.ca for race listing, though they don't seem to include the Cabot Trail relay and Rum Runners relay, so there are probably other events existing too. First outing scheduled in new shoes today...

hairshirt knitter

Slight tangent, but worth asking as I imagine lots of folk are in the same boat... Ok, so I'm going to be training with big, heavy, flat, solid motion control shoes. Would it do any harm to have a second pair of shoes for racing and faster training - not racing flats perhaps, but a lighter stability shoe, maybe a DS trainer, or similar? Does anyone do this as an overweight overpronator with success?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We moved to NS from the islands of Scotland a couple of years back and live quite close to Kejimkujik National Park. Out in the sticks, but some great running!
              No way...hubby went to school for a year in Aberdeen. He spent some time in the Hebrides and was pretty much in love with Scotland. I got to spend a few weeks over there while he was a student...such a gorgeous part of the world. In the immortal words of Mike Myers, if it's not Scottish, it's crap! Big grin Hope the new shoes work for you! Smile

~ Sarah Kay