Choosing a race (Read 510 times)

skinnycaponesugar

I'm curious to know how people chose races to run. So far, I've chosen one that was nearby, and one that I've heard about before (and that happens to be the day before my birthday). When I think about what races I'd like to run in the future, I picture beautiful settings and/or something quirky and unique about it. I'm a new runner, so those are things (and distance!) I can clearly make my mind about Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

My Hero

For me, local races are convenient and gives me the opportunity to make repeat races somewhat of a tradition. It's also fun to plan a visit to friends and family in a different state for the purpose of doing a race there. And then of course, reserving the thought that doing Boston could be an achievable goal... I like to go through the different running publications and go through the back pages where they list all the races and then go to their website and dream...
        All kinds of reasons. You start with locals and distances and then start looking for challenges. Now that I am an empty nester Smile It's a way to plan vacations and see the world.. My next big race is in China on the Wall-just for the heck of it!! No matter what, Enjoy all of them. Kathy
          I usually do not care about what a race supports, if it supports any cause at all. For my region (Dallas Fort Worth, Texas), they have good calenders out there, which I usually hit up to decide what races I'm going to do. What factors do I use: -Will I be covering ground I've never been on? -Distance (I prefer 10K to Half Marathon lengths now) -Travel time to get there? I'm not traveling over an hour to run a 5K, unless I am doing something else in that region. -Date of the race. Is the race going to conflict with other things I have going on. -How is running this race going to affect the rest of my day? If I sign up for another marathon, I definitely don't want any other hard commitments that day.

Vim

jeffdonahue

It all depends. Some I pick for the causes they support. Some I pick for the course - whether scenic or if going for a PR FLAT could be important. You could even go out there and look at previous years results and try to find one that you might be able to place in your AG if you want.
            JimR

Accurate and cheap.
                I try and do all the big, competitive races in the area.
                Relocated NE

Beers at the finish line. Big grin
                  JimR

I try and do all the big, competitive races in the area.
                    Looks like you just missed out on the prizes last Saturday.
                      Depends on your priorities. For you I think you've answered your question: "I picture beautiful settings and/or something quirky and unique about it." Try doing some internet searches for races in your area and read the fliers. You could even email the race contact, if available, and ask about the course. I've done it many times. In order, my priorities are. 1. Flat, fast, and certified. Inaccurately measured courses frustrate me to no end. 2. Good competition, especially in my age dvision. 3. Close to home as possible, but willing to drive a couple hours for right conditions 4. Scenic
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        No real rhyme or reason. I race once per month, most of them every year. I am very confident that those courses are accurate and other attributes are fine. However, I do a couple new races each year. I probably should research the new ones a little more. Last year, in one of the new races, the officials debated where the start line was!
                        JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

2. Good competition, especially in my age division.
                          Does that even exist for you Jim? We have a 59 year old in our area that would give you a run for your money but that is as close as it gets around here. You are really running strong this year! Wish I could say the same. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
                            I live in a suburb of Philly and there are some good local races around. For Marahons, however, I'm trying to one run in every state. I have a long way to go. That said, I like to read the comments at races on maratonguide.com. It's good to see what others say and that typically helps me pick a marathon.

A Saucy Wench

Right now I have 2 small kids so the operative word is LOCAL. Although oddly enough I got in to marathoning for a race in Phoenix. I would love to destination race in the future...but until my kids are a lot older, that isnt terribly likely. I will do races that friends want to do, pretty much at the drop of a hat! I was such a non-athlete until my 30's that I am just having a blast now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7