Running in Reading, PA? (Read 691 times)

Skooter 3.0

Hey y'all...Louisvillian heading to Reading for T-giving... Anyone around here from those parts? Any suggestions on routes? General suggestions for good places to run? I need to run about 25 miles next week and don't know the area at all.

Goals?

lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Hey y'all...Louisvillian heading to Reading for T-giving... Anyone around here from those parts? Any suggestions on routes? General suggestions for good places to run? I need to run about 25 miles next week and don't know the area at all.
      I've actually been there, and really don't want to burst your bubble, but just based on my experience, it is not the best venue for running. This especially applies to the more central (downtown) areas. In fact it was so congested, it would be taking your life into your hands. Also i'd consider taking caution day or night! If on the other hand, you are in an outlying area, I'm guessing it would be somewhat better. Wish I could suggest a decent locale, but maybe you'll find somewhere safe. Good luck! lg
      ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
      Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
      ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)

The voice of mile 18

check these guys and girls out: http://www.pagodapacers.com/Training_runs.htm

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Skooter 3.0

Thanks Joe! That seems perfect, because they run on Wed. night, and I could prolly go on their training run and a couple of them might be able to help me figure out good areas for my solo runs...

Goals?

jingchunyu

Famous or infamopus Pretzel City Sport is in Reading, PA. It organizes a lot of trail run races. http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/
            xor

Infamous is right. Them pretzel city races are HARD.

Skooter 3.0

PHEW! I ran with the Pacers today...annnd got my ass handed to me...they're all ultra-marathoners...one of the "slower" ones hung back and held up the rear with me...8:54 pace was from what I could tell, RATHER slow for them...but a great time...thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!

Goals?

I lived in Reading, PA a few year ago. wish I would have saw this thread a little sooner. anyway, hope you found some nice places to run...they do exist!

Skooter 3.0

Did an 8 miler along the Skuykill River trails and had an awesome time! Thanks tho...

Goals?

IamGreg

If you have a chance and are still around during the week of Dec 1st, contact the ladies at this store: http://www.arunningstart.biz 705 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611 Phone: (610) 320-9097 Email: arunningstart@msn.com Fax: (610) 320-3048
                        awesome. glad to hear it! by the way...is that trail still all washed out? It flooded pretty bad a few years back...

Skooter 3.0

It looks like they recently done a bunch of work on it...newish asphault, new signage...it was an awesome run!

Goals?

good to hear!

Skooter 3.0

If you have a chance and are still around during the week of Dec 1st, contact the ladies at this store: http://www.arunningstart.biz 705 Penn Avenue, West Reading, PA 19611 Phone: (610) 320-9097 Email: arunningstart@msn.com Fax: (610) 320-3048
                              I won't be, but my Dad lives in Reading, so I'll be back frequently...I'll have to check out the store.

Goals?

If you like trails, you can't go wrong with taking a trip to Blue Marsh Lake, its got about 30 some miles around the lake there. Definitely a nice place to run.