Power Running Physiology Enters the Mainstream (Read 2197 times)

xor

(screw it) content removed There is nothing to see here Move along.

Good Idea SrLopez! Actually, howabout this: 1) Everyone boycott Rich_ 's topics 2) Everyone go back and remove the content from their previous postings to Dick's topics? (actually, don't remove if you are good at making Dick look like a dick)

Dave

(actually, don't remove if you are good at making Dick look like a dick)
        Those were my only posts. I'm going to leave mine.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Okay, Dick, since you've asked for it...: I see those "21 points". First off, it is absolutely idiotic, as you demand the comparison, when the Old Man was talking about things like "date of the race" or "track condition" that you want "muscle power" to be included in this list to be compared and, if not included, the list is no good... But anyways, here goes. He has "running technique" as a matter of fact ABOVE aerobic capacity. Now, you've got yourself engaged in this gigantic thread at CoolRunning about running economy and insisted that it's "muscular" and not aerobic. Well, here it goes; since the Old Man was so stupid and incompetent that he didn't even understand the difference between running economy and muscle development. But, according to you, it's muscular; so there it is. Body build. That's muscular composition included, isn't it? And, now get this, he list "talent" way up there. I thought YOU were the first one who ever recognized it (according to Dr. Noak)??? You missed that one from reading this list? Or were you too busy looking for a word "muscle" that you forgot to see the forest? Now, you were so hooked with "where" he list them. Of course, you realize that he said, "we haven't given them in any order of priority..." So you're all bent out of shape because Lydiard didn't mention "muscle". Now, if you read the book, I mean, not just skim through the "list" or "schedule", you would have noticed how much he talked about "strengthening" legs, perhaps not to your liking of specific terms like "muscle contractility" or whatever. I just opened up the book to page 14, just randomly, of "Running to the Top" and this is what it says: " ...Particularly as we get older, we need not only good muscular strength to keep our muscle toned, we also need to improve our cardio vascular system..." Seems to me, in fact, he was actualy talking about "muscular strength" BEFORE cardio vascular system, does it not? Now this is the most recent book of Lydiard's. I probably only read twice, unlike "Run to the Top" like at least a half a dozen times; in fact, I helped Mifuyu Komatsu to translate "Runnint with Lydiard" in Japanese so I literally read that book inside out. But if "Running to the Top" is the only Lydiard book you've read, do you want me to go on and check other pages/chapter? Also, out of OUR website, here are some examples: Athletic Training: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf Page 13: "...it is necessary to bring resistance to leg MUSCLES to develop MUSCLE FIBERS; in particular the white (fast twitch) muscle fibers..." By the way, this was originally written by Arthur in the 1970s. Osaka Lecture: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/OSAKALECTURE.pdf Page 14: "...not only do we have to have capillary development for mucular endurance, we also have to have MUSCLE FIBER development..." This lecture was taken place in Japan in 1991. Our Certificate Program PPT: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/understandinglydiardmethod.aspx Page 20: "...reintroduce POWER and flexibility in your legs..." I put this together on behalf of the Old Man for his 2004 lecture tour. Or because this doesn't say "MUSCLE" power, it won't count??? As far as I'm concerned, this really proves your selective reading skill. Basically, you don't read well; you only pick up list or summary or phrases with your chosen word(s) or lack thereof and use it to your advantage or other's disadvantage. Would you like to continue this "discussion" and, oh by the way, if you want to continue to bring in Brad Hudson and Tim Noak into this "discussion", can I bring in some of our Advisory Staff of Lydiard Foundation? Peter Snell (Ph D), Dave Martin (Ph D), Steve Jones, Jon Brown, Greg McMillan, Rod Dixon, Lorraine Moller, Yuko Arimori, Yoshio Koide, Hideo Suzuki, Dick Quax, Steve Scott, Chris Pilone... I can bring in some others as well if you want??? By the way, since you've been going on and on and on about how Brad Hudson is the FIRST mainstream coach to talk about "muscles" with endurance event, have you ever heard of runners like Herb Eliot or John Landy? You know who coached them? And do you know ANYTHING about their training regime? It's okay you want to muble-jumble about physiology bullshit. But you certainly don't belong to running/training/coaching world, Dick; you should stop pretending that you know what you're talking about or pretend that you're an expert of some sort; so I "propose" you SHUT THE HELL UP!
          AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

3. You wrote previously that there are two groups of runners: fast and slow. And you are the fastest in the slow group. a. What is the line between the two groups?
            Hey, this one's easy; I can handle this one. The set of all slow runners = the set of all runners slower than myself, plus myself. Now I leave it as an exercise for the reader to prove that I am the fastest runner in the set of all slow runners.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Okay, Dick, since you've asked for it...: you SHUT THE HELL UP!
              Oh SNAP!!! See Dick, Nobby hits it right on the head. The reason you can't participate in any normal threads is because people ask questions and want to hear replies....from knowledge and experience, not pseudoscientific BS that knowledgable and trusted members of the board can eat for lunch. Since you have no knowledge or experience, yet feel you are the supreme expert, you get booted right quick.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Dick: Obviously, you just ordered "Running to the Top" through Amazon (at least you remember the website to order) and you haven't had time to read much of it but read just the first few pages where "the list" was; here are some other parts of the book by Arthur Lydiard whom you're so eager to de-face (right from the first time we met, remember, at CoolRunning forum?): Page 41: "...during that period (marathon conditioning), you should be doing something about your MUSCULAR system...to apply resistance to the MUSCLE FIBERS and develop more POWER and STRENGTH..." He even went on and said; "...there is no value in going out and doing sprint training if you haven't conditioned the muscular system to handle sprint work..." Also, if you go all the way back to page 146: Chapter 18: Training Terms... He took about 1/4 page talking about Aerobic Training, another 1/4 page about Anaerobic Training; then went on and covered 4 1/2 pages talking about MUSCULAR CONDITIONING (including some weight training regime for ball game players). Well, so much for your whining of "nobody's talking about muscles..." Of course, don't get a wrong idea of "Lydiard agrees with me!" bullshit. He wouldn't have; believe me, he wouldn't waste his time for your garbage "theory".
                Rich_

Nobby, That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it. In essence, you are saying because Lydiard mentioned muscle strengthening here and there that he clearly recognized that muscle (and, therefore, the characteristics of muscle - i.e. contraction rate, force, and resistance to fatigue) was at least as important of a factor in performance as anything else. Further, the fact that he completed ignored muscle in his list of 21 factors controlling performance is completely inconsequential because he mentioned muscle in other areas. Personally, I think that, generally, writers write the most about the things they consider most important and only a little about those things that they consider much less important. And that when you make a list of the important things you include on that list all the things you think are important. If it's not important you don't put in on the list of important things. So, it appears we hold different opinions as to just how much importance Lydiard placed on the role of muscle in performance. As one of the most, if not the most, visible proponent of the Lydiard method, do you think you are being the best ambassador to that method by shouting at those who disagree with you to shut up?
                  Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                  Rich_

Of course, don't get a wrong idea of "Lydiard agrees with me!" bullshit. He wouldn't have; believe me, he wouldn't waste his time for your garbage "theory".
                    Nobby, You can't have it both ways. Either Lydiard believed that muscle is an important factor in performance or he didn't. If he didn't believe that, then why are you trying so incredibly hard to prove he did? If he did believe that, then he & I agree on that basic point. Imagine that, you, the Lydiard method ambassador, shouting "shut up" at someone saying something that Lydiard believed too. I wonder what he would say about the new physiological data on muscle and its role in performance. Do you think he would have modifed his physiological explanation for his training methods?
                      Thanks. I enjoyed a typical "Dick Trick". Dick's purpose in life revealed--only to irritate people. Now his whole "theory" (nobody mentioned muscles until Hudson) has been incorrect and others had been talking about muscle all along, all he could do is "Oh, you can't do that; Lydiard believed my theory. Nah nah nah..." READ MY LIPS: Lydiard would have NEVER had any time for YOU and your bullshit theory, PERIOD. Unlike you, I even knew Arthur Lydiard in person. I know what he was talking about (training) and I know what he's thinking and how he hated a "theorist", particularly irritating ones like yourself. I can tell you what Rod Dixon said when I showed it to him but even I would not use that word here. And one more time, READ MY LIPS (since you don't seem to be able to read what I've written): SHUT THE HELL UP. Now truly I'm outta here.
                      Rich_

Nobby, That's pretty much how I thought you would respond. Best of luck to you.
                          Dick's purpose in life revealed--only to irritate people.
                          Scout7

You, Rich, are an idiot. You obviously have a deep-rooted problem that no one here will be able to help you with. At this point, I don't think anyone would care if your theoretical training model could make them Olympians. You have managed to irritate, bore, annoy, or just plain piss off almost every single person who reads your tripe. You wanted to know why people respond so vehemently to your message. Here's the answer: It's the messenger himself, and not his message. If you didn't act like such a douchebag, and actually engaged in a normal, logical conversation, you might have had people who could at least talk with you about your ideas. Instead, you insist on alienating everyone. It's the dumbest marketing ploy ever. I've even begun to question your military credentials at this point, because you are certainly unlike any SF guy I've ever met. Either way, I think we're all about done with this thread, and with you. So thanks for playing.
                            JakeKnight

Ugh. This thread makes my brain bleed. What the hell are you people doing? There's no point in addressing Rong-Way Rich. He's made it clear that he's nothing but some strangely fixated troll with a raging obsessive-compulsive disorder and an inability to read. As some of you told us long ago, he has zero interest in discussion, and just wants to babble endlessly and nonsensically. He's the poster child for passive-aggression. If Rich were an ice cream flavor, he'd be Pralines and dick. So enough about Rong-Way Rich. But that doesn't explain you people. The same people who told us at the start that Rong-Way Rich was a nut job and that there's no point in engaging him ... are the ones who've created this massive ode to stupidity by engaging him. You'd proven yourselves right by page 3. You win. So can we all take your initial advice and ignore him now? Because my brain is bleeding.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Scout7

It was fun. Then it got boring. Then it got fun again. Now, it's just tedious. But the bonus was making Chewie's brain bleed. Bonus points there.