Asics DS Racer: any updates? (Read 54 times)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Anyone know if there is going to be a new Asics DS Racer any time soon ? I have a pair of v10s and v11s but they are both 3/4 through expect wear and can't find replacements anywhere.

Any suggestions on alternates with a similar drop (8mm) drop?  Mizuno Hitogami?  Was going to retry the Saucony Fastwitch but was not a fan after they went to a 4 mm drop some years back.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I contacted Asics' customer service... they confirmed the DS Racer 11 is discontinued. No shit Sherlock - your website states this fact. They failed to state if there'd be a DS Racer 12, which was the question I'd posed.  rather, I was pointed to the DS Trainer as an alternate shoe ... err... that is not an alternate race shoe. Sad.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

That's no good.  I really liked those shoes.  Time to look at other companies' alternatives.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xhristopher

I've been racing in DS Racers for years, Versions 8 to 11 I think. I've also owned the DS Trainers and find they are completely different from the Racers. The ride is NOT the same. The feel of the shoes isn't even comparable and I've had probably 7-8 pair between the two models.

The DS Racers I've used have all felt reasonably similar to each other so I'd expect a version 12, if they make it, to feel similar to the 11. So why not stock up on a couple pair of 11s if you can find them? After reading your post I may.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've been racing in DS Racers for years, Versions 8 to 11 I think. I've also owned the DS Trainers and find they are completely different from the Racers. The ride is NOT the same. The feel of the shoes isn't even comparable and I've had probably 7-8 pair between the two models.

The DS Racers I've used have all felt reasonably similar to each other so I'd expect a version 12, if they make it, to feel similar to the 11. So why not stock up on a couple pair of 11s if you can find them? After reading your post I may.

The customer service rep stated that the Racer and Trainer are comparable due to the same mid-sole foam. (holds head in hands).  I've worn the DS Trainer since the DS Trainer 10.  My favorite iteration is the DS Trainer 11. Great shoe. Since then it's been a roller coaster of sizing, weight and other intriguing 'updates'. The 22 is OK but still feels too bulky.

Personally; I can't find DS Racers 11 in my size in any online store. Too bad I'm not a size 6.5 or 8.  I've had multiple pairs of the DS Racer 9, 10 and 11.  Even had the Gel Bandito after Asics first bagged the DS Racer.

Anyway, I called Asics, again asking the DS Racer 12 specific question, and was told that something is in 'development', after being told that the GEL-DS Racer line had been discontinued.  Sounds like they have no idea what they are talking about.  I hold out hope that Santa will bring some good news...

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Found 1 pair of DS Racer 11s... in my size... it's a (pre) Christmas miracle!

xhristopher

I looked and couldn't find any my size. I bought my last pair in April...

This fall I picked up a pair of Nike Zoom Fly and found they work. They are a little more shoe than the DS Racer which probably isn't a bad thing for me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an update to the DS Racer line. 100% guarantee I'll be buying a pair.