Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Wow, you guys...couldn't help but notice how similar our PRs are, NeedACleverName and Alan.

Let's use the new table feature, just for kicks...

5k  10k  HM
     NeedACleverName  18:13  38:38  1:24:28
     alan fletcher  18:06  38:38  1:25:28
     Dakota RR  18:13  38:39  1:24:04

The marathon is a different story. Mine is 3:30:28, but it's three years old and the only one I've run.

MTA: I'm also running Chicago with a Sub-3 goal, so we should make arrangements to meet up at the start!

wow, that's pretty freaky - we should defintely meet up.  that way we can all run 6:52 pace for the first 20 miles and then crash together in the last 6 miles and drag it home in 3:15  

so what's the training plan for you guys?  i have a bastardized/combo pfitz/daniels 15 week plan that peaks atbout100 mpw that starts at the end of june.  i'm recovering from my last marathon right now and just planning on running whatever i feel like for the next 4 weeks.

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
      For you triplets running Chicago make sure you get into Corral A, you'll have no problem meeting up in there as it was relatively empty last year about 25 minutes before the race. Also there are 2 sub-3 pacing teams also....

I missed out on NY through the lottery, so the plan is to run BayState in Lowell,MA on 10.18. The goal is to go low 2:56's, with a goal to go sub-2:54 in Houston on 1.17.2010. I really would like to be in the 1st corral for Boston 2010...

Right now, I've switched from Daniels' 5k training back to HADD training as I felt I've lost aerobic fitness since Boston. I bombed my Brooklyn Half last Saturday (too warm, too hilly, and I sucked). So back to putting in the miles... A vacation in Ireland from 7.22-8.3 will put a damper on some of the training but I'll look at it as a pseudo rest period before jumping into 11 weeks of Pfitz's 12/85+ plan...

DoppleBock

I am thinking about Houston in 2010 - But I might just go hang out with my sister in Carlsbad, CA marathon instead. 

For you triplets running Chicago make sure you get into Corral A, you'll have no problem meeting up in there as it was relatively empty last year about 25 minutes before the race. Also there are 2 sub-3 pacing teams also....

I missed out on NY through the lottery, so the plan is to run BayState in Lowell,MA on 10.18. The goal is to go low 2:56's, with a goal to go sub-2:54 in Houston on 1.17.2010. I really would like to be in the 1st corral for Boston 2010...

Right now, I've switched from Daniels' 5k training back to HADD training as I felt I've lost aerobic fitness since Boston. I bombed my Brooklyn Half last Saturday (too warm, too hilly, and I sucked). So back to putting in the miles... A vacation in Ireland from 7.22-8.3 will put a damper on some of the training but I'll look at it as a pseudo rest period before jumping into 11 weeks of Pfitz's 12/85+ plan...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm in A already.  dakota, NACN - are you signed up for A too?

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
          spinach

5k  10k  HM
             NeedACleverName  18:13  38:38  1:24:28
             alan fletcher  18:06  38:38  1:25:28
             Dakota RR  18:13  38:39  1:24:04

Hey I am right there with you three: 

5k          18:09  

10k        38:31

HM      1:24:21

Let's hope we all have a successful season coming up and we all get under three for the marathon.

I enjoyed the race a lot last year. The logistics are great if you get a downtown hotel. And the hotels are fairly cheap compared to big city races. You can stay at the Four Seasons for 165/nt and its only a 5-10 minute walk to the start. You get a lot of stuff for the race, they give you some nice grub after the race. The course is fast and flat (not Chicago flat, but way flatter than NY/Boston). Plus they hold the US Half Champs there. However, running close to 2:50ish you will be running some of the end of the race by yourself, and the weather is slightly iffy.. You can get a warmish humid day in mid-Jan in Houston.

However, nothing beats Texas BBQ after a marathon....

I am thinking about Houston in 2010 - But I might just go hang out with my sister in Carlsbad, CA marathon instead. 

I'm in A already.  dakota, NACN - are you signed up for A too?

Yes, I'm all set to start in A.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

DoppleBock

I ran 2006 - From 10 miles - 20 I stalked a women going for OTQ then I faded a bit (She made 2:46), ran alone to 25, then was passed, hung onto him, passing last .2 for a 2:47 - was a really fast course and like you said super easy logistics. 

I enjoyed the race a lot last year. The logistics are great if you get a downtown hotel. And the hotels are fairly cheap compared to big city races. You can stay at the Four Seasons for 165/nt and its only a 5-10 minute walk to the start. You get a lot of stuff for the race, they give you some nice grub after the race. The course is fast and flat (not Chicago flat, but way flatter than NY/Boston). Plus they hold the US Half Champs there. However, running close to 2:50ish you will be running some of the end of the race by yourself, and the weather is slightly iffy.. You can get a warmish humid day in mid-Jan in Houston.

However, nothing beats Texas BBQ after a marathon....

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Right on Hereford...

Yep, I'm all set for Corral A as well.

so what's the training plan for you guys?  i have a bastardized/combo pfitz/daniels 15 week plan that peaks atbout100 mpw that starts at the end of june.  i'm recovering from my last marathon right now and just planning on running whatever i feel like for the next 4 weeks.

As far as marathon training for Chicago, I haven't quite worked that out yet. The only thing I'm pretty set on is doing 300-mile months in July, August, and September. I've only done one marathon, so I don't really have much experience with the distance or marathon-specific training. In other words, I'm open to ideas!

Ok, so you've done it before.... I'm sure there will be a bunch of OTQ'ers next year as well as this is probably one of the first races where the window opens for the women...

I ran 2006 - From 10 miles - 20 I stalked a women going for OTQ then I faded a bit (She made 2:46), ran alone to 25, then was passed, hung onto him, passing last .2 for a 2:47 - was a really fast course and like you said super easy logistics. 

I have spent the year building up my base, which has been instrumental in my improvements at the shorter distances (I ran a 1:32 HM, 42:09 10K, and a 20:32 5K last year). I have averaged over 80 mpw over the past 14 weeks, including four 90+ mile weeks, two 100+ mile weeks, and one week of 114.7 miles. The plan is to keep it right around 95-100 mpw through July 20, and then start the Pfitz 12/85+ schedule.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

bhearn

Hey I am right there with you three: 

5k          18:09  

10k        38:31

HM      1:24:21

Let's hope we all have a successful season coming up and we all get under three for the marathon.

My times heading into Boston were

5K 19:08 (soft, though)

10K 38:44

HM 1:26:35

so to me it looks like you are all well positioned!

I'll throw my name in the hat for this sub-3:00 goal in 2009. I'm actually aiming for 2:55:00 or 1:23:00 for a NYCM qualifier in future years. While I cracked sub-3 in October of last year (2:58:16), I am lightly raced since then. I spent the first half of '09 training for a 100 mile ultra, which was completed a few weeks back. Since recovering, I jumped in a 5k and was pleasantly surprised with the result (18:12)

Race log since Fall 2008:

8/30 - 5 mile (30:36, PR)

10/18 - 5k (17:44, PR)

10/26 - Marathon (2:58, PR)

11/23- Half Marathon (1:23:38, PR)

3/21 - 50k on paved surface (4:14)

5/16 - MMT 100 (27:41)

5/30 - 5k (18:12)

In my spare time I coach a few runners aiming for 3:10-3:40 marathons, so much of my easy pace is in the 8:00-8:45 range. Also, my training volume is limited this year and I don't see me attaining more than 60 mpw (last year I averaged 54 mpw prior to October marathon). I plan to build the base in June/July, then come August and September will introduce a period of intervals and a period of threshold pace runs.

Training paces last year prior to the 2:58:

Easy: 8:00-8:45

Threshold: 6:18-6:20

Interval: 5:50-5:55

Not sure exactly what race I'll run, but it will likely be in October or November and a local race that I can register last minute.

10/11 - Towpath Marathon

11/1 - Inland Trail Marathon

I'm in.

One other thing:

I'm hearing some rumors that our man Dopple Bock ran a stellar 24 hour and put up a huge number at FANS. Looking forward to hearing from him.

One other thing:

I'm hearing some rumors that our man Dopple Bock ran a stellar 24 hour and put up a huge number at FANS. Looking forward to hearing from him.

It was more than stellar...

Dopple crushed the course record (which was set in 1999) by over 11 miles.

147.2 miles (still needs to be verified).

His 100 mile split was 15:40:31 as I was there to officially record it.

Dopple Bock is the ultimate running machine!!!!!

Congratulations, Dopple Bock -  you inspire!