Running with sprained ankles? (Read 791 times)

I've just joined this site, and it looks pretty cool. I'm not nearly experienced as anyone else on here (I'm only 13) but I ave a question. I recently sprained both of my ankles and broke two toes. I have track tryouts this week, and I'm training for a half marathon. Is it okay to keep running? It hurts when I do, but I really need to try out- it's my last year of middle school track! Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

The voice of mile 18

not a good idea. running on them might make them worse - what did your doctor say? the doc can give you better idea than a bunch of yahoos on the internet. try explaining to your coach about your injury and see if they would be ok with you trying out at a later date after you have fully recovered

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

I'm not nearly experienced as anyone else on here (I'm only 13) but I ave a question.
        Congrats on joining RA. It's a great site and you can get a lot of information from the runners in here....And I'm excited that a young teen has lofty running goals....Your going to be good.... BUT - you have a medical situation and the order for which you should ask this question should be: First - Parents Second - DR Third - Track Coach So far down the list you cant count that far ------ a bunch of people in a web site that dont know you.... Sit down and talk to your parents about his TODAY----I'm sure they will be very concerned and helpful.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I've just joined this site, and it looks pretty cool. I'm not nearly experienced as anyone else on here (I'm only 13) but I ave a question. I recently sprained both of my ankles and broke two toes. I have track tryouts this week, and I'm training for a half marathon. Is it okay to keep running? It hurts when I do, but I really need to try out- it's my last year of middle school track! Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.
          At the age of 13, I would assume, and hope, that you would continue to run and compete many more years to come. I used to do triple jump when I was in middle school. I pulled my left calf muscles one time and didn't think much of it--and continue to run. When your body gets hurt, like twisted ankles or broken bones, your body would build up extra tissues to fix it and strengthen it. It's called scar tissue. The thing about scar tissue is; that it's rougher and less flexible. In other words, think about old rubber band--it's easier to break...again! Throughout my running career, 90% of my injures are on my left leg and probably 80% of those 90% (what is total?) happened in my left calf. In other words, if you continue to run with injured legs just to make the middle school team, you might likely throw away opporunity to continue to enjoy and compete in high school and many more years after that. Not a good idea. I would suggest you talk to your coach and possibly extend the try-outs. With your youth, twisted ankle would be healed in a week or two; even broken toes may feel better after a few weeks to a month or so. I don't think the track season will start till, what, end of March or so? Promise your coach that you'll stay in good shape by doing other exercises like stationary bike or swimming (and make sure you do) and have a tryout after. I would also strongly recommend NOT to run a half marathon with injured legs. It sucks to not being able to run and having to do other activities to stay in shape. But that really shows your discipline, determination and guts--not to run through with pain. Being disciplined and determined means not to give up hope when things are going bad. Your will power is being tested right now. Hang in there.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Listen to the above posters. What I really want to know is why he has to try out for the middle school track team? Is this common practice. Track was always as many as we can get at my schools, even at the high school level.
              Listen to the above posters. What I really want to know is why he has to try out for the middle school track team? Is this common practice. Track was always as many as we can get at my schools, even at the high school level.
              Thanks for all of the opinions! A lot of people are trying out this year. We just got a brand new school- it is the first year being open, so we're not going to many meets. My coach wants to weed out the people who don't care about running or aren't going to try. The doctor told me to stay off of my feet for a couple of weeks, but I can't do that- I have a dance competition this weekend. So I figured I might as well run while I'm at it. By the way, I'm a girl. (:
                The doctor told me to stay off of my feet for a couple of weeks, but I can't do that- I have a dance competition this weekend. So I figured I might as well run while I'm at it. :
                Not to sound like a jerk, but doctors make the big bucks because they know what they're talking about. If you want to run well, then listening to your doctor's advice is your best bet in order to avoid injury. With a dance competition, you'll be putting enough stress on your body as it is...increasing the workload by running at a track is not going to help, IMO. Don't injure yourself where you can't even do track this year, let alone for how long these possibly injuries could effect you.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Not to sound like a jerk, but doctors make the big bucks because they know what they're talking about. If you want to run well, then listening to your doctor's advice is your best bet in order to avoid injury.
                  Well, some doctors know what they are talking about. I'd actually spend much more time making sure the doc was a good doc, over whether to run on a sore ankle.
                  mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Thanks for all of the opinions! A lot of people are trying out this year. We just got a brand new school- it is the first year being open, so we're not going to many meets. My coach wants to weed out the people who don't care about running or aren't going to try.
                    If you've been running since 7th grade and both parents are marathoners (per your profile), that should be enough to show your coach you care about running. Have you run any other races (non-school races)? Give him the results - most races will have them on their websites. Also see if your doc will give you a note saying he advises you do not run for a couple of weeks, so the coach knows it's not just you trying to get on the team without doing the tryout. But like the others said - I'd listen to the doc. No reason to risk a great running career for one season or even one tryout. Think long term benefits.

12-week layoff

OK, I'm a middle school track coach who had 120 people sign up for the team last year. I didn't need to have tryouts...practice weeds out the kids who don't want to run. I took 40 good kids to the county championship last year, and we brought home a trophy. If your coach is a good coach, he or she will let you come out for practice when your ankles heal. I am also a person who screwed up her ankles BADLY by running on a sprain. That scar tissue which was previously mentioned? It can stretch out if you run while you are healing. The purpose of the scar tissue is to stabalize your ankle; you want that rubber band tight, but not too tight. The scar tissue won't make your ankle as stable as if you had never sprained it, but it helps. If you run, the scar tissue will stretch, and your ankle will be floppy, with no support. You will have pain every time you run, and you will be very likely to twist your ankle again and again and again. I have twisted my ankle 4 more times in 2 years. So. If your coach is good, you can run track after you heal. If your coach is not good, well, you don't want to run for a person who would put your body at risk for middle school track, right? Listen to your doctor, as all of the yahoos on this site have told you. Your doctor told you to stay off your ankles. I know that as an eighth grader, you don't really see the big picture, but please, just trust us. You really will be happier if you let your ankles heal.

The voice of mile 18

The doctor told me to stay off of my feet for a couple of weeks, but I can't do that- I have a dance competition this weekend. So I figured I might as well run while I'm at it. By the way, I'm a girl. (:
                        then please stay off your feet listen to your doctor

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy