For those that feel they dont put in enough miles (Read 1285 times)

Julianne R

It's not personal. And you are putting it down. But that's okay, you may not think it's a big deal. I also think you need to check your math because I don't think it's possible to work 48+ hours a week, watch kids for 10-12 hours per day, and sleep 8 hours per night.
    Yea ... I am sitting here wondering about all the "if I didn't work or have kids or have wine to drink or TV to watch," then I'd be impressed. And then how those remarks are prefaced by "not putting it down." Take a week off, send junior to grandma's, and see if you can do it. Oh, let me guess: then you wouldn't do it because it's an unhealthy obsession ...

My big gripe is that when you see things like this they never ever say that they had to cook dinner for their spouse or change a diaper or anything like that...
      I'm running around 60 miles per week, and I cook dinner for my spouse almost every night. (This week she's on vacation, so I admit that she's cooked a couple of times, but that's the exception not the rule.) Does that count? I don't have any kids, but I also change my cat's litter box. No need to hold it against somebody for being single or not having any kids. If you need some inspiration from somebody that does some amazing things and is married and does have kids and does have to fight with his wife for treadmill time sometimes, then check out Stephen Wells' website. He's been cancer free for just over 5 years, and competes in 50 and 100 milers after picking up marathoning post-remission.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Yea ... I am sitting here wondering about all the "if I didn't work or have kids or have wine to drink or TV to watch," then I'd be impressed. And then how those remarks are prefaced by "not putting it down." Take a week off, send junior to grandma's, and see if you can do it. Oh, let me guess: then you wouldn't do it because it's an unhealthy obsession ...
        I agree. Smacks of jealousy, whining, and excuse making to me. I'm married and have two kids that are involved in a lot of activities. I (mostly) do my share of the chores. I manage to find time for 40-50 miles per week when I'm marathon training. I bet I could find time to run a lot more miles if I cut back on t.v., internet surfing, and video game time. It's all about the choices we make.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?