Your first ever marathon. (Read 1152 times)

My First was Cleveland 2008 How was it? Wonderfully difficult. It was exactly the experience I wanted and yet I would have never predicted my experience. It hurt more than I expected and wasn't nearly as difficult in some respects as I imagined it would be but more testing in other ways. Were you well prepared or not? I was more prepared than I had initially planned to be. I got 3 weeks of training a month out that were beyond what I thought I was capable of. I stretched and was in serious danger of over doing it. That being said those 3 weeks were 51,51,60 miles.. with the last 2 having 22 mile long runs... I entered the race knowing I would finish it was just a matter of how fast. Sub 4 hours was my goal. Was it a breeze or did you struggle? I zoomed though the first 1/2... running 8:20's I was expecting 9:00's I ran faster the second half... was smiling ear to ear at 20 through 21 but knew it was coming apart by 21... gobbled down some jelly beans but had a miserable 23rd mile.. got it back together in the 24rth mile and got back on pace... and gutted it out to the finish... with negative split 1st half to second half by about 10 seconds... Was it your first and last or the first of many? I have been training for a half Nov 2nd but am targeting Virginia Beach in march... I like it... I will run another... and will probably run a 50k in the next couple years too... Im planning for my first May 2009! Good luck!

Why is it sideways?

My first was November, 2006 at the inaugural Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon. I ran 2:50:25. How was it? It was really neat for a variety of reasons. The marathon is held in Nashville's huge and beautiful urban park where I've done tons of training since I've lived here. It was exciting to race where I regularly train. Also, I knew a bunch of people at the water stops, and the event had a really cosy feel. The course is kinda brutal, and since it was the first year of the event, no one knew what to expect from the times. I think being a newbie actually helped me deal with that fact, since I didn't have to worry about how much slower I oughta run because of the hills. Also, I won. Were you well prepared or not? I was pretty well prepared, mainly because I'd been running competitively for a long time before the marathon and because I knew the course so well. I actually had a calf injury that kept me from running the whole month of September before the race, but I was able to cross-train and went into the race fresh instead of wasted from too much running. My longest long run was 17 miles, but I did a lot of running in the hills and at pretty intense paces. Was it a breeze or did you struggle? It was a breeze, as much as a hilly marathon could be. I wanted to run sub-3hrs, and ended up running 2:50:25 because I was feeling so good over the back half. Was it your first and last or the first of many? I've run two more since then: CMM 2007 and Flying Monkey 2007. I hope to run several more.
        Trail's End Marathon ,Seaside OR, 1977. How was it? Great. Still my most enjoyable marathon. Were you well prepared or not? Well enough prepared for a beginner who wasn't fast. 60 mpw, a few 21 milers. Was it a breeze or did you struggle? No struggle at all. 1st 20 miles about 7:55 m/m pace, last 6.2 miles 6:25 m/m pace. Smile Was it your first and last or the first of many? Not the last by any means. Im planning for my first May 2009! Take it easy, and enjoy your running.
          My first marathon was the 2008 Fort Worth Cowtown How was it? I completed it, so I was content with my performance. Were you well prepared or not? I let some personal stuff get in the way of my doing planned runs during the weekdays, but I did keep up with long races I had already scheduled on the weekends. Before the marathon, my longest race was a 20 miler, which I did at a 10 min/mile pace. I thought based upon the 20 miler, I would be able to do a marathon in 4:30. Was it a breeze or did you struggle? My experience was smooth up until mile 17 when my guts started acting up. At that point, I switched over to run walking. Was it your first and last or the first of many? I prefer 10k and half marathon, but I want to do another one hoping for a time between 4:00 and 4:30 Things I would do differently? I would: -carry Tums -avoid drinking beer during the race -figure out the whole hydration and nutrition bit -run more prior to race -EAT PROPERLY before the race

Vim

My first marathon was Jacksonville in 2000. How was it? I was on pace through 20.5 (6:50 +/- 2 seconds) - then I walked through a water stop. I definitely had no idea what to expect. Were you well prepared or not? I was in really good shape, but not necessarily running shape. I had a stress fracture and tendonitis that came on at the beginning of September and I didn't run a single step (I could barely walk) until November. I not only made every workout, but also got extra workouts in, just did them on a bike/in the weight room/in the pool. Was it a breeze or did you struggle? The first 19 miles were a breeze. Once I walked that first time, I locked up and had trouble keeping up the pace. Traded off 12 minute and 8 or 9 minute miles after that (I'd have to look it up.) I did do the last 1.2 miles in 7 or 7.5 minutes though... Was it your first and last or the first of many? First of many! I've gotten better at them. Things I would do differently? I don't even know where to start...not walking through the water stop, fueling better, training better...there was a lot that I've learned to do differently. Hence writing a book on the topic. Wink
            Maine Marathon 2003: First 24 miles were great. Last 2.2 miles, lousy. Until the 24th mile, I thought I was prepared. I do not plan on doing another one.
            That was my 2nd marathon. 9 weeks of running after a 7 month layoff really wasn't enough.
            I was better prepared for my second in Providence, ran a better time but didn't enjoy it very much. It actually left me pretty depressed for a week.
            I felt pretty good after that race. It was my first win.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I live in Oregon, but my debut marathon was Omaha Nebraska. Omaha! I love Omaha.
              How was Omaha? The course looks like it goes through the Zoo. I live in Philly, but my partner lived in Omaha until this year and I was kicking that around as a possibility for a 2009 marathon. Its easier to drag him with me when he can see friends or family. That, and the steak is awesome...

Chris
              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

mark-bixler

My First was Cleveland 2008 Was it a breeze or did you struggle? I zoomed though the first 1/2... running 8:20's I was expecting 9:00's I ran faster the second half... was smiling ear to ear at 20 through 21 but knew it was coming apart by 21... gobbled down some jelly beans but had a miserable 23rd mile.. got it back together in the 24rth mile and got back on pace... and gutted it out to the finish... with negative split 1st half to second half by about 10 seconds...
                10 second negative split on your first try? Ha my 20 minute positive split is much more impressive!! Big grin

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.