2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

AceHarris

CK: Kids are doing well, recovered from recent illness and energetic as ever. The older two are essentially 30% scrapes and bruises, which I think is a good sign. Getting a little hot to stroller run with them, unless they want to get up at 5am.  Nashville in July will undoubtedly be miserable, so have fun with that! However, it is always fun to explore a new city. I've spent a lot of time in Nashville, let me know if you need any recommendations.

rlk: a tethered run sounds interesting! Was this a race or just a fun run? I'd hate to run into to the nude parade while tethered to a dozen people!

PJ: your post makes me think about the times I've told co-workers I ran a marathon and they ask "like a 5k?"

7 miles on some "tough" trails on Monday. Supposed to be 6, but I got lost. I say "tough" because they're probably not that bad for avid trail runners, but they beat up my road legs. It was about 900ft elevation gain and some rough terrain.  I'm trying to get at least 1 run a week on trails.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

PJ: your post makes me think about the times I've told co-workers I ran a marathon and they ask "like a 5k?".

or "How far is that one?" 

AceHarris

DAD:  Yes! I've had that one several times.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

AFRMC

Put on your running and walking shoes and get ready for Sunday June 3rd at 9:00 am in Battery Park NYC, for the eighth annual Cheryl Diamond NYC 5k Schlep Breast and Ovarian Cancer Run / Walk.

Each year, the American Friends of Rabin Medical Center, 5013 (C) charity honors 5 survivors and 5 people who have died from breast and ovarian cancer. In an effort to create a community of support, we invite you to nominate survivors or family members of those who have passed and share their personal stories with others who are connected to the struggle against breast and ovarian cancer. T

o recommend a loved one, please call 212-279-2522 or email afrmc@afrmc.org

Create a team of friends online! Register for the NYC 5K Schlep at http://www.afrmc.kintera.org/SCHLEP18

HOW TO GET INVOLVED:

- Form a team of runners and walkers in honor or remembrance of those who have battled these diseases

- Recommend a loved one to be honored / remembered by calling 212-279-2522, or email afrmc@afmrc.org

- Sponsor the event through your company or employer

Your support, amongst hundreds of others participating in the race, are the key to eradicating breast and ovarian cancer! Proceeds from this critical event benefit raising global awareness for BRCA genetic screening for breast & ovarian cancer, global research studies on breast and ovarian cancer cures and BRCA mutation carriers, and benefiting the BRCA Multidisciplinary Clinic at Israel’s Rabin Medical Center, the premier hospital in the Middle East. For more information on the event click on the link below! https://www.dropbox.com/s/a99pqbd2zp503jr/AFRMC_Schlep18_DetailsFlyer.pdf?dl=0

mattw4jc

DAD:  Yes! I've had that one several times.

If a person believes a marathon is any road race, they get really confused when seeing the term "Half Marathon". I was wearing a half marathon shirt and a lady asked me, "What is a half marathon?" I explained a marathon is a specific race distance of 26 miles. A half marathon is half of that distance.

I wish I had been quicker and said something like, "It's a race for halfings, like hobbits and dwarves."

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

When I did Caesar Rodney half a few years ago a guy form the city came and gave a nice speech, but he kept calling it a half mile marathon.

Well, a half marathon IS a marathon made up of half-miles instead of full-miles!

Hi guys, back from the White Rim.  Didn't take photos this year, but I did wear my Fenix 3 all but the first day (it was in a bag buried deep in the support truck) so I have some nifty workouts on Strava now.  Also Strava notified me I lost my QOM segment, which I actually didn't know I ever had - it was a bike loop I did on Thanksgiving vacation down in Scottsdale, with a lot of sightseeing breaks and meandering, and I only got the QOM because I was one of two women on Strava who had actually ridden it.  (Now three, I guess.)

rlk - love the centipede photo!

fb - hah, yeah, 8:30 pace is so far from easy for me right now.  But that's great that you've got into a groove.

rovatti - hopefully the vacation will clear up all the niggles.  I listen to audiobooks (on a cheap waterproof mp3 player) while pool running.

OMR - those intervals look familiar...

oregonrw

I had someone ask me once when I was wearing a shirt from a marathon if I had run it, and I said yes.  Then she said, "Did you finish?"  I didn't go into the rules of wearing a shirt from a race you hadn't finished, just said yes.

CK: Nashville is a fun town, but def will be hot in July.

Ace: Glad everyone is healthy, even with the scrapes and bruises. My youngest told me he has exactly 37 bruises on his legs and arms right now - he plays lacrosse.

rlk: Congrats on the tethered race! That takes patience, I would think.  It looks like your group had a lot of fun.

matt: "Halflings."  ha.  That made me laugh.

Not much new here.  8 miles Monday, 5 Tuesday, 6 this morning. It's gotten pretty warm here this week, even at 5:45 am, so I'm adjusting. I think I'll do something speedier tomorrow.

My oldest is running a track meet this Friday -- just a little one-off meet, the regular season is over but there's a bunch of meets around for high school kids - and he's running the 2k steeplechase.  I asked him if he has any idea how to get over the barriers, and he said he'd watch a few videos. He and some friends are just doing it for kicks, but the confidence of 16 year old boys is fun to watch sometimes (until he ends up face-first in the water pit).

Impala stew for dinner last night... made me think of rlk.

... and he's running the 2k steeplechase. 

PJ is our resident "expert." 

I did SC in college (not very well; it's tough!). Four tips: 1) be conservative pace-wise, 2) skip-step (I think that's what it's called) the barriers .. it's where you step on top of barrier and then just sorta drop down; it's less efficient speed-wise but much more efficient energy-wise, which ultimately saves time for the inexperienced; 3) shoes/spikes should be tighter; they'll loosen up when they get wet, which is slippery, and 4) get clear lanes for barriers, even if you have to move outside a bit.

... and for you: have a glass of wine (or two!) beforehand; I imagine it'll be nerve-wracking to watch!

oregonrw

Thanks Dad! I will pass this along.  Hopefully he'll listen.   Starting out conservatively seems key -- I imagine those barriers get a little higher on every lap!

Speed Surplus

"SC and weather -- with summer around the corner, and people starting to feel the heat? Are you slowing down or seeing higher HR at the same paces? I gotta figure out hot weather this year."

Neither one really on the long run - just breaking down physically. Achy shoulders, low energy, etc... Pace and HR were fine when the watch wasn't malfunctioning. It was just hard!

Still haven't had a chance to catch up 

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

PJ is our resident "expert." 

I did SC in college (not very well; it's tough!). Four tips: 1) be conservative pace-wise, 2) skip-step (I think that's what it's called) the barriers .. it's where you step on top of barrier and then just sorta drop down; it's less efficient speed-wise but much more efficient energy-wise, which ultimately saves time for the inexperienced; 3) shoes/spikes should be tighter; they'll loosen up when they get wet, which is slippery, and 4) get clear lanes for barriers, even if you have to move outside a bit.

... and for you: have a glass of wine (or two!) beforehand; I imagine it'll be nerve-wracking to watch!

Ha.  I don't really have anything to add, that pretty much covers it.

,It was amazing how tired one gets on the flat running just a few laps in.  I worried about the barriers and the running was just as tough.  And luckily I was off the back so quick I didn't have to worry so much about lanes.  Except when I was being lapped.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

How long would it take someone with so-so marathon fitness to run/walk a 100K with 6-7,000ft of climbing. Some of it in the dark, but with pretty good moonlight -- country roads, not trails? More or less.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

How long would it take someone with so-so marathon fitness to run/walk a 100K with 6-7,000ft of climbing. Some of it in the dark, but with pretty good moonlight -- country roads, not trails? More or less.

Too long.

fb-guy

It gets better. 88F at the start (3PM), and still at 80F at 8PM, five hours after the start. Crappo.

Ideas?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35