MAC crashing while uploading Garmin 305 (Read 673 times)

Martyb

I have a PC at work and have successfully uploaded my data from the Forerunner 305 many times.  I just got a MAC desktop OS X 10.6.4 for home and every time I try to upload my data the MAC crashes.  I recently installed the Garmin MAC plugin, so it should work based on all I've read.  I'm using Safari 5.0.2 and have even installed Firefox 3.6.12 and I'm getting the same results.  It shows the data uploading until it hits 100% then nothing happens.  I waited several minutes and when i try to cancel or click on any other link the multi colored ball starts spinning and I have to power off the computer to do anything.  This has happened five times in a row.  Help???

fb-guy

Hey Martyb,

I have the exact same problem. Mac OS X 16.6.5, the newest version of the Garmin plugin, and a Forerunner 205 (two different watches). Loading results from the watch to RA crashes the browser. You need to use "Force Quit" from OS X to quit the browser and relaunch it.

RA crashes the newest versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome.

Help guys -- this is a real problem! I run every day.

FB

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

eric :)

You're not going to like the answer, but it is caused by the Garmin Communicator plugin.  I did a quick search and other users from other websites have reported the same problem, including Garmin Connect.  The plugin is known to choke and freeze the browser if it encounters corrupt data.  The work around was to delete the workouts from the device regularly.  Garmin came out with plugin version 2.9.1 a year ago that fixed the crash from corrupt data.  It's possible that your problem is caused by a similar bug.

Martyb: the most likely culprit for the freeze is corrupt data.  Since you're on the PC, you can try to download your data to Garmin Training Center and then export the data to RA.  Once your data is safe, try deleting all the workouts from the Forerunner and see if that helps.  Also see if there is a new firmware for the Foreunner which may fix the corrupt data problem.

fornobravo: you can try removing the plugin and then reinstalling it by following these instruction for Safari.  Also, does the browser crash when your GPS is not connected?  What is the exact version of your plugin?

fb-guy

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate your site and everything you do for the running community.

I followed your instructions and trashed my Garmin plug in and then installed Garmin Communicator 2.9.3 from scratch and it worked. So far, so good. Thanks. I will also take care to delete the workouts in my watch more frequently.

We're back in business.

FB

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35