Increasing your mileage (Read 1242 times)

I'm trying to increase my mileage this year. Last season I hit 50 mpw once, but my average was a quite bit lower. I've been following a plan which increases weekly mileage about at a rate of about 10% a week with a goal of peaking around 70. Last week I had my highest mileage week ever at 57 and so far all systems are a go. My body is adjusting to the higher miles fine, so far.... I've been less sore than last year and my easy pace is picking up a bit. however, I'm struggling with the mental aspect. My running buddy is suffering from shin splints and I've been on my own for my runs during the week. I guess my questions are: 1) am I increasing mileage too fast? 2) has anyone here had some experience with fighting through the mental hurdle of higher mileage? Background: 4 Marathons completed 3 in the last three years I've been running regularly for 6 years I'm going to take a stab at a bq in the fall. My best marathon time is 3:33:45. I'm planning on running the Seattle Marathon June 27th with a goal of 3:20 and then one in Nov with a goal of 3:15. My bq time increases to 3:20 next year, but I'd like to get a qualifying time before then.
      I think new mileage heights are almost always a mental challenge. The more we do the same thing though, the more our minds tell us that "this is no biggie - we've done this before". Maybe run mid-50's for a couple weeks and see if everything holds together and hopefully your mental aspect picks up.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hawt and sexy

Switch the majority of your miles over to 'easy' on that graph thingy you have in your log, and you will see that adding miles is not too hard. But, the miles you run have to truly be easy. Try it and you will see. Do easy and long only for a 4-6 week period, and you should figure it out.

I'm touching your pants.

Mr R

I'm a huge believer in high mileage, but it's easy to fixate on mileage as the only thing that matters. If you're running so many miles that you can't pick up the pace, then it's usually counterproductive. You should be able to run your long runs hard, as well as hitting one other good workout per week. If that feels too tough, then you're not recovering, and you need to back off both mileage and intensity (as Willamona noted). Your specific workouts are the ones that will have the most effect on race performance in the short and medium term. High weekly mileage is not specific conditioning; it is general conditioning, and is the foundation of success for years down the road. One other tip I've offered to runners trying to work on their long-term aerobic development: Don't think about pushing your mileage higher. Rather, think about not letting your mileage slip backward. If you were to start at 30 miles/week, and increase by only 1%/week, you'd be running around 140 miles/week in 3 years. The reason it doesn't happen is because we let ourselves backtrack. Be conservative in your mileage increases, but just don't let them reverse. Because you clearly need the occasional down week, I find it helpful to track monthly mileage. As long as each month is higher than the last, you're on the right track. Try to string together 8 months of gradual mileage increases, followed by one slightly down month, and then another 8 months. Almost all of my PRs come after 6 months of steadily increasing mileage. I don't mean to sound too casual about suggesting a 17 month progression. I realize that it's a huge deal to commit to a year and a half of steadily increasing mileage. The payoff can be significant, however. This is the approach (conservative mileage buildups combined with weekly fast, though not necessarily hard, running) that took me from a 3:45 to 2:30 in the marathon. It's taken girls I coach from racing 22 minute 5ks to running fairly comfortable 5k tempos in 20:30.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

meaghansketch

If your log is accurate, you increased your mileage from 55/month in February to about 55/week currently. If this is accurate, I do think that you have been increasing your mileage too quickly. You're not far from 70/week-- another 3 weeks of increasing 10%/week would do it-- but I would advise you to maybe extend that increase a bit. Stay at ~57 for a couple weeks, do a cutback week of about 40, run 63 for a couple weeks, do a cutback week of 45-50, and then try to go for 70 mpw. You obviously have a lot more running experience than I do, and are currently running many more mpw, so take my opinion for what it's worth, which may not be much. For me, a couple weeks at a given mileage, to allow my body to adjust, coupled with cutback weeks about once a month, have let me increase my mileage pretty painlessly since about the beginning of the year.

Are we there yet?

I'm a huge believer in high mileage, but it's easy to fixate on mileage as the only thing that matters. If you're running so many miles that you can't pick up the pace, then it's usually counterproductive. You should be able to run your long runs hard, as well as hitting one other good workout per week. If that feels too tough, then you're not recovering, and you need to back off both mileage and intensity (as Willamona noted). Your specific workouts are the ones that will have the most effect on race performance in the short and medium term. High weekly mileage is not specific conditioning; it is general conditioning, and is the foundation of success for years down the road. One other tip I've offered to runners trying to work on their long-term aerobic development: Don't think about pushing your mileage higher. Rather, think about not letting your mileage slip backward. If you were to start at 30 miles/week, and increase by only 1%/week, you'd be running around 140 miles/week in 3 years. The reason it doesn't happen is because we let ourselves backtrack. Be conservative in your mileage increases, but just don't let them reverse. Because you clearly need the occasional down week, I find it helpful to track monthly mileage. As long as each month is higher than the last, you're on the right track. Try to string together 8 months of gradual mileage increases, followed by one slightly down month, and then another 8 months. Almost all of my PRs come after 6 months of steadily increasing mileage. I don't mean to sound too casual about suggesting a 17 month progression. I realize that it's a huge deal to commit to a year and a half of steadily increasing mileage. The payoff can be significant, however. This is the approach (conservative mileage buildups combined with weekly fast, though not necessarily hard, running) that took me from a 3:45 to 2:30 in the marathon. It's taken girls I coach from racing 22 minute 5ks to running fairly comfortable 5k tempos in 20:30.
              This seems like great advice!! I too am increasing my mileage in the hopes of averaging 60/week because 40/week got me my first goal. With two good workouts a week as Mr R stated. In order to go sub 3 on my upcoming marathon. But once I acheive that.. then what? Sub 2:50... Well what's the recipe? Probably 70 - 80/week with more intervals... but I will post that thread when I get to it. It's a tough pill to swallow but more mileage = better results, no one told us to have our goals and dreams they are ours and this website offers truthful, honest, firsthand, advice from those who have been there and done that. Mr R ... 2:30 marathon, that is sick... please elaborate while I druel a bit.
              Mr R

Not a lot to say, really. It's all about consistency. The body can adapt to just about any kind of stress, but as you start reaching the "rare air," it takes a lot longer to get there. This is especially true in the longer distances. I don't think I'll ever break 4:20 in the mile, and I've lost count of the high school kids who have crushed me in 5ks, but marathons in the low 2:30s actually put you in rarer company, because so few people ever put in the work to reach their potential at those distances. It started with never missing a day of running. I'd maybe miss 5-6 a year, depending on illness and the occasionally brutal travel day. However, once you stop accepting a missed run as a possibility, it's amazing the ways you'll make it happen. I've gotten up at 2am to get a run in before a flight. I've gone for a run in the Detroit airport at 3am when I was stranded for 12 hours. Eventually, I started running 2x/day. Easy days can be 16 miles now. If you jump to that kind of training all at once, you'll fall apart, both physically and mentally. Like I said, the key is to never backtrack. Add distance and workouts with care, because you know there's no turning back. It's definitely not for everyone. In fact, if you consider it a major sacrifice, then I wouldn't try it. I do it because it's what I want to do. There's no way that sheer willpower could make me put in this kind of training. Sure, willpower gets me out the door when it's pouring rain, but most of the time I love what I do. I don't see myself as giving anything up; I see myself as choosing the thing I most want. Even my social life hasn't been sacrificed. I'm still fairly young, and I guess I "miss out" on the bar scene, but I have more fun getting breakfast on Sunday morning after a long run than staying out till 3am on Saturday night. I've made friends all over the country in the running community. In fact, I've got so many standing offers for couches to sleep on, that I'd have a hard time thinking of a city I'd need to travel to and get a hotel. Runners are some of the nicest people I've ever met. My best advice is to not think about what might happen really far down the road. If someone had come up to me a few years ago and asked, "do you want to run 2x/day, go to bed at 9pm, stop participating in any other recreational activities, and be friends almost exclusively with runners?" I'd have said, "NO FREAKING WAY." It happens slowly, one small commitment at a time...10 minutes earlier in the morning to run a little longer...one less beer at night...one less TV show...and before you know it...

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

kjgienapp

Not a lot to say, really. It's all about consistency. The body can adapt to just about any kind of stress, but as you start reaching the "rare air," it takes a lot longer to get there. This is especially true in the longer distances. I don't think I'll ever break 4:20 in the mile, and I've lost count of the high school kids who have crushed me in 5ks, but marathons in the low 2:30s actually put you in rarer company, because so few people ever put in the work to reach their potential at those distances. It started with never missing a day of running. I'd maybe miss 5-6 a year, depending on illness and the occasionally brutal travel day. However, once you stop accepting a missed run as a possibility, it's amazing the ways you'll make it happen. I've gotten up at 2am to get a run in before a flight. I've gone for a run in the Detroit airport at 3am when I was stranded for 12 hours. Eventually, I started running 2x/day. Easy days can be 16 miles now. If you jump to that kind of training all at once, you'll fall apart, both physically and mentally. Like I said, the key is to never backtrack. Add distance and workouts with care, because you know there's no turning back. It's definitely not for everyone. In fact, if you consider it a major sacrifice, then I wouldn't try it. I do it because it's what I want to do. There's no way that sheer willpower could make me put in this kind of training. Sure, willpower gets me out the door when it's pouring rain, but most of the time I love what I do. I don't see myself as giving anything up; I see myself as choosing the thing I most want. Even my social life hasn't been sacrificed. I'm still fairly young, and I guess I "miss out" on the bar scene, but I have more fun getting breakfast on Sunday morning after a long run than staying out till 3am on Saturday night. I've made friends all over the country in the running community. In fact, I've got so many standing offers for couches to sleep on, that I'd have a hard time thinking of a city I'd need to travel to and get a hotel. Runners are some of the nicest people I've ever met. My best advice is to not think about what might happen really far down the road. If someone had come up to me a few years ago and asked, "do you want to run 2x/day, go to bed at 9pm, stop participating in any other recreational activities, and be friends almost exclusively with runners?" I'd have said, "NO FREAKING WAY." It happens slowly, one small commitment at a time...10 minutes earlier in the morning to run a little longer...one less beer at night...one less TV show...and before you know it...
                  That is some of the best advice on the lifestyle that is running. I'm an assistant coach for the college I just graduated from and it is hard to motivate the freshmen to adopting the running lifestyle while in college. This pretty much what I did throughout high school and college, I slowly adopted the 2-a-days, earlier bed time, and stopped the risky intramural sports and eventually I was running 75-85 a week and in the best shape of my life. I ran some pretty fast races too. The freshmen have a hard time realizing that they can still have lives in college while being a serious runner; it might just be a little different than the college life in the movies... Thanks for the great advice!
                  PRs: mile: 4:30.2 3k: 9:00.8 5k: 15:33.4 8k: 25:50.3 10k: 32:57.7 13.1: 1:14:38.4 30k: 1:56:34.2 26.2: 3:52:14.8
                  JimR

I've been doing 35-45 most of the winter and spring, this week did 65. Not a big deal, it just takes time. Keep your pace down, what's hard and risky is just trying to do the same thing as you've been doing, but more of it. You need to cut that pace and skip the hard workouts for a bit. Doubling up makes it easier.
                      Thanks for all of the input. I muddled through 58 miles this week with one quality run and a nice long run. I believe I will try to take the long view with respect to adding mileage. My last three weeks I've gone 52, 57, and 58. I'm shooting for 55-60 this week and then I'll back off next week (sort of). I have a half marathon scheduled for May 2. So my thought is to run around 40 the week of the half and ease back into the miles in the following weeks. Maybe 45-50 for the week ending on May 10 and back to 60 the following week. This leaves me with about 4 weeks of training before a taper. Maybe it's not the best idea to try to increase my mileage from here. If I'm comfortable at 60 mpw, I'll try to stay there and get some quality/variety back into my training. I have to say that the benefits of running a just a 15-20 more miles a week have been huge for me this year. The last three weeks I haven't been all that sore and when I feel like I'm running slow, I'm still going faster than I'd expect. Running has always been a social thing for me. Increasing my mileage has meant running alone a bit more. This isn't a bad thing, just something I'm slowly adjusting to. Mr R- I really like the concept of not giving miles back. I think I'm going to try to apply that approach and see where it takes me. I've been struggling with the time commitment a bit and I finally gave in to two-a-days this morning. Outside of my bowels betraying me, it was a huge success. I didn't run very far, but I feel better this morning than any morning I can remember. Thanks again for all of the input!
                        I would love it if you would let us see your log Mr R. It would be humbling for some, inspiring for others!
                        Matt

2010 Races:
                        March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
                        May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
                        June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
                        June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
                        September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
                        September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
                        mikeymike

I agree with Mr R that one of the biggest hurdles to running higher mileage over the long term can be fixating on mileage goals in the short term. Consistency matters most. When you begin to think of your easy run days as setting up and supporting your hard days, it starts to click. I have 2 days a week that I run hard--these are also generally my 2 longest days of the week. For the most part that's Wednesday and Sunday. The other 5 days my top priority is to recover from and set up those two big efforts. This makes it a lot easier to keep easy days easy, which also allows me to handle decent mileage without the mileage itself becoming a burden.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Switch the majority of your miles over to 'easy' on that graph thingy you have in your log, and you will see that adding miles is not too hard. But, the miles you run have to truly be easy. Try it and you will see. Do easy and long only for a 4-6 week period, and you should figure it out.
                            Agree with what everyone's saying about easy miles, and only a couple of quality days per week. If you are in similar shape to your PR's of last year, a running calculator puts your easy pace at about 9:05 per mile. If you ran that slow or slower on your easy days, you won't have much trouble tolerating more miles.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.